Best way to mount ESC

I'm just finishing a Pilot-RC Laser 67" and am working out where / how to mount the ESC. It's 120Amp Hobbywing Platinum (6S, 5000mah Lipo). I am thinking about mounting it to the bottom of the firewall for maximum airflow and to help balance the CofG. I am new to electric and was wondering how hot the ESC is going to get? Can I mount it with Velcro or best to use screws? Also can it just go directly against the ply / carbon or does it need some sort of heat protection.

Thanks.

Advert

It should never get hot enough to scorch ply or carbon but at 120A size it may get warm enough to soften the glue on self-adhesive velcro. As Geoff said, cable ties to the motor standoffs with some insulation in between or I drill pairs of holes to loop the ties through the bulkhead or motor box. Smaller escs (40-50A) I often leave loose relying on the leads to restrain them.

Another vote for cable ties around stand-offs, or alternatively looped through the firewall holding the ESC against the firewall behind or below the motor - which will be almost as well ventilated. One of my Oldies has an ESC cable tied out in the breeze under the fuselage between the U/C wires - another similarly fixed to the side of its triangular Correx fuselage - oddly enough I've never had an ESC in any of these locations emit the magic smoke. I have done a 'Miller' and had a small ESC free floating (sort of safely suspended by the stiffish wires from the battery and to the motor) in a not very generous fuselage space and got away with it. It's hard to know how much/little airflow we need until we find out the hard way - all I can say that might be helpful is that none of my 'outdoor ' ESCs are any more than slightly warm to the touch when picked up after landing. The Experts in electric flight (Multiplex) always design in excellent airflow over battery, ESC and motor - see FunJet, Elapor Gliders and FunCub - so if in doubt go for as much as possible.

Not an advocate of tightly bending motor / esc wires to fit between the stand offs.

I usually make an air "scoop" out of half a plastic tablespoon.

Make a suitably sized hole on the side of the fuz, and tac the esc inside the hole.

Glue and paint scoop to the outside.

Air is forced in by the scoop, cooling the esc.

Never, ever had a problem.

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 16/10/2020 00:24:38:

Not an advocate of tightly bending motor / esc wires to fit between the stand offs.

Tim is asking about a 120A unit in a 67" model so I would expect that there will be plenty of scope to fit the ESC either across two of the standoffs or to the side of the motor box without any tight bends, certainly I've managed it on two Wot'sWots, a Magnatilla and an Acrowot without straining anything. I don't like putting the ESC between the standoffs behind the motor as there's usually a chunk of spinning shaft protruding back there.

My favourite to date, fitted in a handy air duct with cable ties:

esc fitting.jpg