Curtis Condor biplane twin

Posted by Dwain Dibley. on 05/12/2020 20:18:42:

The obligatory "Dry fit" David, it has to be done Matey. wink

D.D.

It's a waste of time, really, Dwain, but it's impossible to resist. We claim it's a check but, in fact it's to encourage us to keep construction progressing. I'm as guilty as the next

It's looking stunning, David.

Geoff

Advert

True Geoff, "dry fitting" is seldom really needed. As you say it's more a morale booster, especially when there's lots left to do on a project.

A question for biplane lovers. The plan doesn't mention washout. Is it worth adding a couple of degrees on a big biplane like this? It has parallel wing chord and the lower wing has less span the the upper - so I'm inclined to think it doesn't need washout - but anyone got experience with a similar model. I haven't incorporated on my other biplanes (Tiger Moth, Hawker Tomtit, Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter etc)

Thanks Eric,

That confirms my thinking. I have been sorting out a building jig to give me the correct dihedral when setting up the wing tubes in the outer wing panels. There is 2 degrees dihedral and I have gone for zero washout. I hope to start building the first outer panel later on today.

Edited By David Ovenden on 15/12/2020 11:41:33

Finally got the first tip panel done. Took me MUCH longer than it should have done. All of the ribs at the curved tip didn't match the plan. Spar cut-outs in wrong places and shapes didn't match up so there was quite a bit of adjustment and trimming to do. Because I added a top spar (which threaded through the ribs so it didn't show beneath the covering) it was quite a fiddle to thread on all the ribs and add the wing tubes then glue everything in place without altering the alignment. The tip components also took a while to cut out and shape to fit exactly. Still in the end it all worked. The tip panel aligns perfectly with the centre section wing tubes and the dihedral is spot-on. The other 3 panels should be quicker now I have a system and know the snags in advance. building tip panel.jpg

tip panel 2.jpg

tip panel.jpg

The trouble with biplanes is that there are 2 wings to build. One done now so 50% left to do. I am happy with the way the wing joining tubes have worked out. I obviously calculated correctly and cut the holes in the right places!lower wing uncovered.jpg

lower wing cs.jpg

The odd bits of wood stop the drawstrings for the motor wires getting lost. Got to build some engine nacelles now.

Edited By David Ovenden on 22/12/2020 11:25:14

Hi Bob,

The wing actually feels very stiff. I have added webbing between the top and bottom spars - 1/8th ply inboard where the wing tubes attach and 1/16th balsa outboard towards the tip. It seems to have done the job. The carbon fibre wing tube goes right through the centre section and 20cms into each outboard wing panel, so that is acting as a very strong extra "spar" too. However, its not until the model gets into the air that we shall really know.

Some sort of "milestone" on the journey today. All 6 wing panels plus the 2 ailerons are largely complete. There is still a lot of sanding to do and some strut mounts to add, but nevertheless they are largely finished and I am happy with they way the wing joining works and that they seem very solid and warp-free.

2 wings.jpg

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 08/01/2021 14:15:19:

Nice work David, that certainly was a lot of ribs!

Hi Bob,

Yes, more ribs than I realised when I started. But having started I was determined to finish.

With both wings now done I can start on bending the wire for the top wing mounts (and attach them to the fuselage) checking I set up the correct incidences for the 2 wings. Then I can build the underbelly section onto the lower wing and finalise the lower wing mountings.

Posted by David Ovenden on 08/01/2021 14:06:30:

Some sort of "milestone" on the journey today. All 6 wing panels plus the 2 ailerons are largely complete. There is still a lot of sanding to do and some strut mounts to add, but nevertheless they are largely finished and I am happy with they way the wing joining works and that they seem very solid and warp-free.

2 wings.jpg

Seems a shame to cover it up David.

D.D.

Maybe just me, but it's starting to look more like a whale than a condor! The plan was not very clear on where/how some of the stringers were fitted. In the end I just went by eye and used some scrap packing to get things in the right place.

I want to start on the engine nacelles tomorrow. That should be fun. The plan shows 1 degree downthrust on the engines but no side thrust. Mmmm Not sure about that! I am thinking 0 degree sidethrust on the left engine but a couple of degrees of right thrust on the right hand engine. Any thoughts?

stringers 2.jpg