Curtis Condor biplane twin

6 hours ago, Murat Kece 1 said:

Excellent build.. Well done.

Thanks people for your kind comments. It's my first real build blog, so I'm pleased that folk have found it worth watching. I managed to finish off the lower wing covering tonight. The red film was from BangGood as HK was out of stock when I was ordering it up. Wow! Is it hard to get the backing film off the covering. If you know a good tip, do let me know. Its not as nice to use as the HK film, but I managed to get it on in the end. Pretty tough to get it round the double curvature of the engine nacelles.

lower wing & cs covered.jpg

Edited by David Ovenden
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I must be doing it wrong as I've never had any luck with tape.  I always end up tickling a corner with the tip of a scalpel blade.

The real fun comes once the backing sheet is off - just try putting it down - the static build up is impressive to say the least!

I tried the tape trick this morning. No way was the backing coming off that BangGood film using tape! Boy is that stuff hard to separate from its backing. The only way I can do it is using the point of my knife blade and stabbing away until I can get a tiny corner up. I have to cut the film bigger than I need so as to have extra where the corner is mutilated by attempting to peel off that backing! You are right Martin. The static is enormous on that material. I don't have trouble with HK film or Oracover so it must be something specific to the BangGood product I think.

I gave up after a bit and spent this afternoon contemplating my next project. I think we all do that near the end of a build   - don't we??

I think my next model will be a Cessna T-50 Bobcat twin. I will start a new thread for that, but here is a photo of what I have in mind. 

Bobcat cropped.JPG

Edited by David Ovenden

Been working on servo instalation. The good news is that with the lipo up front there is no problem with CG. In fact, it's a bit nose heavy so the rudder and elevator servos have gone in the tail end. I had to make a custom servo mount unit to fit in the JR NX3421 servos. I wasted much of the day searching for the receiver to test the linkages/ set up. I had a 6ch rx sorted and bound to the Tx but it's gone missing. I've searched everywhere but can't find it. It was on the bench but I'm starting to think I must have thrown it out in the rubbish when I cleared up last!! In the end I had to use another rx.

I had rather a wasted day today. I started to build the interplane (wing struts) and had decided that I wanted to make them hinged so the wing "pair" could fold with rigging attached to make transport and storage easier. On paper it all looked good. However, having made up 8 hinged mounting points it dawned that it wouldn't be that easy to make it work as the camber of the wing section meant the hinges would not be parallel with each other and so the struts would fold without stressing and breaking. Next I attempted to get the mounting points level, but that looked awful. So, unless I come up with a better plan (ball joints???) it looks like it will be fixed wing struts. It's how I learn - getting things "wrong" first time!

No photos as nothing to see.

• Sad 1

Today I found some ball links from an old helicopter and made up some right angle brackets to fit them to the wing. I fabricated a "trial" single wing strut which fitted fine and allowed the strut to fold down as required. As this is a "sport scale" model I haven't worried too much about the strut wing joint. I have tried making up a flexible "boot" from heat shrink tubing that slides down to cover the strut mounts and will flex to allow for the struts to fold for storage. OIt's not very elegant but it will make it a practical model to store, transport and assemble easily at the field. I hope! 

wing strut uncovered.jpg

wing strut with boots.jpg

strut on wing.jpg

strut in place.jpg

Edited by David Ovenden
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Neat solution!

GG

Thanks GG,

Somehow the finishing off stages seem to take much longer to sort out than the building the main airframe structure itself. Still I think its getting there now. Only got the LiPo battery bay to build into the nose and to sort out the cabin window framework, then I can cover the fuselage.

Model on stand cropped.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bob Cotsford said:

That photo gives scale to the project David, it should have some presence in the air?

I think that perhaps perspective makes the model look a little bigger than it actually is. However, at 82" span (top wing) it's not small. Hence the desire to make the outer wing panels remove and fold down to aid storage and transport. The original had one-piece wings. The lower wing was complete with u/c and the engine nacelles with the upper wing mounts and nacelle-to-fuselage struts still permanently attached. The plan shows that there would be 24 screws or bolts to undo each time you wanted to remove it. Not convenient at all. My method means there is one retaining screw for each outer panel (so 4 in total) plus 2 kwik-links each side to remove the lower rigging wires. 

Edited by David Ovenden
  • Like 1