Curtis Condor biplane twin

Well, I finally made a start on the planking. I put it off for several days by fitting some oleo legs, sorting out the tailwheel and fitting the wing mounting plates and tubes for the wing bolts. But yesterday I made a start and got 1 nacelle planked. Not looking forward to the second one, though at least I now have sorted out which bit is best to start with.

tailwheel.jpg

planking 1.jpg

More perverse planking prevarication this morning. I fabricated the elevator horn instead. Will try to get on with nacelle number 2 this afternoon! Hopefully it will be finished by the time the forum is up and running again next week. Should  be quicker to upload photos then.

elevator horn.jpg

Edited By David Ovenden on 03/02/2021 10:40:04

Last post before the old site closes. I Have built the "bulge" onto the bottom of the rudder (that continues the fuselage profile as per the full-size). The plan showed a lump of block balsa, but I really don't want more weight right at the back and the full size used stringers anyway. Plus can't waste balsa these days!20210203_172032.jpg

Well the new-look  website is up and running. Since the last post (on the "old" site some progress has been made. The engine nacelles are all planked and the struts connecting the nacelles to the top wing have been fabricated. So I couldn't resist the uncovered shot of the model as the sun was shining!

Also got a motor mounted so hoping to get on with the covering next week.

Uncovered airframe top.jpg

Uncovered airframe table top1.jpg

20210210_160612.jpg

20210210_165913.jpg

Weighed the complete uncovered airframe and all known compenents (motors; props, esc, lipo, radio gear) Currently model is at 4.3kg. Allowing 5sq metres of covering @ 60g sq/m thats another 300g. So hopefully an A.U.W of 4.6kg (10.1 lbs) Target weight was 5kg so things are looking positive. However, there is always weight that creeps in unexpectedly!

Each motor is giving just over 600w on a 10x6 3 blade prop. So a total of 1200w plus. That's over the 100w per lb ratio. So I'm hopeful that the model should have enough oomph. We shall see!

8054748332_cb6ca5ec7d_h.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Dwain and John.

The cowl rings now have their mounted brackets added and this morning I glassed-clothed them. Not a job I like. I always seem to struggle to get the cloth on without bubbles or wrinkles. Anyway. Job is now done.

I also started on covering the wings. I'm using HobbyKing film. This is the first time I've used it and I found it really easy to iron on and it shrinks really well. Excellent value for money

cowl rings with mounts.jpg

wing covered.jpg

• Like 2

Hi David.

Those are looking really good. Yep hobbyking film is excellent stuff as you've found out. Your wing looks like the covering went on very well especially the tip!

I have just done my first ever fibreglassing job on a model. I didn't need it for strength so I went with deluxe exe kote and found it brilliant to work with. It has not added any weight to my model at all which I am really pleased about and the best bit is their is no smell to it.

Dan

On 18/11/2020 at 20:36, David Ovenden said:

Not sure if there is much interest in this project.

I'm another interested lurker following your build David and I'm a scale helicopter scratch builder working with composites! Your super work may just inspire me to build something in wood the old way. Keep up the great build.

Cheers, Martin

P.S. Are the props bother running in the same direction or is one R/H and one L/H?

HI Martin,

Currently I'm going for both props rotating in the same direction as I can't find a suitable 3 bladed left-hand rotation prop in the correct size. I have adjusted the side thrust to (what I hope) is the appropriate extent!

I found an interesting photo of the actual aircraft I am modelling. Nice and shiny in the photo which makes using plastic film covering slightly more scale-like!

I don't think I will go to the extent of making a scale dinghy with outboard motor..

Air frieight photo.jpg

• Haha 1