Flair Hannibal

Basil

Advert

On 25/02/2023 at 11:12, EarlyBird said:

Yes please Bas. Post your progress with pictures and you will have my constant attention.

Steve

Steve, I am a little reluctant to post any pics as I am only novice at this. I take on things like this to stretch myself and learn about the various mechanical aspects of things. With this build I have already made some mistakes along the way.I am having to take steps to make sure the mistakes  are still fit for purpose by making further additions, where deletion cannot easily be made.I will consider posting once its finished or close enough to.

Managed to secure a set of old/new wheels(Thanks Tony).

I have made an U/C but it looks a bit flimsy, will have to reconsider the wire size. Plan does not seem to indicate, or I have missed it.

Bas

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Steve, I am a little reluctant to post any pics as I am only novice at this. I take on things like this to stretch myself and learn about the various mechanical aspects of things. With this build I have already made some mistakes along the way.I am having to take steps to make sure the mistakes  are still fit for purpose by making further additions, where deletion cannot easily be made.I will consider posting once its finished or close enough to.

Managed to secure a set of old/new wheels(Thanks Tony).

I have made an U/C but it looks a bit flimsy, will have to reconsider the wire size. Plan does not seem to indicate, or I have missed it.

Bas

I am also a novice which has made me give up posting any details as I don't wish to advertise my mistakes to the world, so I understand your reluctance.

Steve 

I would encourage all the build logs  - especially Basil & Earlybird who have raised interesting points in the past which makes the forum worthwhile.   We all learn something.   

Basil - the normal size for piano wire u/c is 8 SWG (4mm )for medium to large models- anything thicker will be  difficult to bend.     Smaller models under 4 ft span might use 10 SWG (3.3mm ) but 8 might be better in many cases.    Consider extra bracing  rather than thicker wire if 8 SWG seems too frail.

• Like 1

Basil,

We all make mistakes in our builds even after many years of building.

The answer is to learn so you don't make the same mistake twice.

While I can imagine your reluctance to post the evidence - I think you will find the folks on this forum are unlikely to be nasty about any mistakes that have been made and may be able to guide you and support you along the way.

I have been building for over 30 years and even in my current build I have made a mistake or two which I have to amend or work around.

13 hours ago, kc said:

I would encourage all the build logs  - especially Basil & Earlybird who have raised interesting points in the past which makes the forum worthwhile.   We all learn something.   

Basil - the normal size for piano wire u/c is 8 SWG (4mm )for medium to large models- anything thicker will be  difficult to bend.     Smaller models under 4 ft span might use 10 SWG (3.3mm ) but 8 might be better in many cases.    Consider extra bracing  rather than thicker wire if 8 SWG seems too frail.

Have not got my gauge to hand but its 2.7mm approx. Very springy. Have to go out now, will refer to the drawing when I get back.

Bas

Hi Bas.

I think you will find that the undercarriage is made from 5mm piano wire.

That is the size on the plan and probably the diameter of the hole in your wheels.

Without a proper bending tool it is very difficult to form and would need either brazing, or welding to construct.

Ordinary solder will not be up to the task.

I think you need a local small engineering workshop (or large scale modeller) to help you.

2 hours ago, Basil said:

Have not got my gauge to hand but its 2.7mm approx. Very springy. Have to go out now, will refer to the drawing when I get back.

Bas

Just found my wire gauge, it's 12swg. Very springy!!!!!

Kevin, I cant find any reference to the wire gauge on my plan, where should I look, the fuse plan has some details mainly side on and the 'Axle join' the rest I had to simulate. I will have to look at my wire stocks!!!! The flair wheels do not have a hole for the axle.

Just referenced a model of similar span that I have been playing with for some time, mainly applying various techniques in order to learn about them. That uses 7/8 swg , I bent that with my heavy duty bender, but not so complicated , therefore easier to make accurately. Well here goes, nothing ventured!!!!

Bas

Edited by Basil
additions

Well, I bent some 8swg to the shapes that I drew up for the earlier springy U/C.Went well, surprisingly well indeed. In the past the 'Axle' parts of the wire frame don't always run true to the ground level aimed at and require a great deal of tweaking. Needed a bit of a tweak but came true quickly.

Never done silver soldering before , bought the materials some while ago, that to went reasonably well. Used the fuse as a jig . I will have to let it cool down before a closer inspection. To cold in the outside workshop so packed up for now. I will see in the morning!!!!!.

Will take some pics but still not sure about a public show.

Bas

This mornings inspection reveals what  looks solid if perhaps a little untidy. Never done silver soldering before, put some solder on whist it was cooling down.

I would consider putting a piccy on but not to clear as how to achieve it. Now using a new/recon PC so no idea.

Bas

I have been lucky enough to get hold of an unused pair of Flair wheels for the Hannibal, thanks Tony.Does anybody have/know the instructions for assembly.Only get one chance at it if I glue without making inquiries at the beginning.Plan to bush with a brass tube .

My main problem with photos is loading the computer with them first!!!. That's before I get to loading them to the Forum.

Bas

Hi Bert, the sides of the wheel come together easily without the tyres on. Only when assembling with the tyre does it get awkward as the inner surface(Radius, of the tyre) tends to fill the gap in the reccess of the plastic hub. When applying adhesive it looks like the rubber will interfere with the fit.

Thanks for the hub tip, but dont possess a lathe, looks really good. bas

• 3 weeks later...