Cutting out ribs etc

Bill Rogers

Advert

Well you can't beat laser cutter for accuracy and ease.

Hving said that I've got a scrol saw and I find it hard to track a line, but when I tried a band saw it was a lot better so when funds allow I will get one.

good quality blades make a differance and you can stack the wood up to make multibles with all cut matching

Hello Bill. Painfull fingers and hands can make things very difficult especially in this cold weather.

Does the model you want to build have a parrallel chord wing ? If it is why not cut the ribs using a sandwich method . Your scroll saw will be fine for cutting the ply templates then you can sand and slot all the ribs in a block. If all ribs are different then it a one at a time job .

If it's a popular model then try a call to Slecec or the Vintage Model Company ,they might be able to help. They can laser cut ribs etc but not sure of the price. Good luck

Called VMC

Very helpful and decision is to sell my new Keil Kraft kit and buy a laser cut one from them

No stock of balsa wood, supply problem, and have to wait two months for the balsa wood as apparently it is being used for wind turbines.

Thanks for prompt replies and suggestions.

Bill

Edited By Bill Rogers on 18/01/2021 11:04:46

First of all - Steve Webb Models have some VMC kits in stock at the moment according to their website which might get you building quickly.   Phoenix Model Products also have some of their own kits " on the shelf"  so maybe that would be an alternative.

Secondly there is another method of cutting ribs - cut a thin ply template, affix a bit of wood as a handle and use this template to cut around onto balsa with a scalpel.

Third.  Some people use a disc sander to cut ribs etc and its posssible to sand using a template which does not get sanded.  Same idea as routing using a guide pin.   Instead of using a disc sander it may be safer and cheaper to sand to shape with a Permagrit block which cuts balsa very easily and raises little dust.

Scroll saws take some practice in cutting so keep trying and work slowly and steadily.

Edited By kc on 18/01/2021 11:38:00

Edited By kc on 18/01/2021 11:47:42

Posted by kc on 18/01/2021 11:18:33:

Secondly there is another method of cutting ribs - cut a thin ply template, affix a bit of wood as a handle and use this template to cut around onto balsa.

Scroll saws take some practice in cutting so keep trying and work slowly and steadily.

Agreed

Do a dry run 1st, as you have to practice being a contorsionist with your hands to get right around the work.

Obviously maintain a distance from the blade at all times with your hands

Keep the work on the machine bed at all times to keep the work square

If your wing is a parallel chord this is the method I use, Ply template, glue piece of balsa to get a hold of, two pins with balsa placer to protrude just enough to prevent movement when cutting, don't forget a sharp blade helps. Pinched the idea from Peter Miller 👍 I have no shame 😂😂20191031_160040.jpg

Pauls photo shows exactly what I had in mind but shows the pins which I forgot to mention!

It might also help anyone with hand problems to look around for the best type of scalpel handle to suit them. Swann Morton do a bulbous handle while Exacto do an even chunkier one which is also copied in cheap sets too. I would also suggest you consider epoxying a wooden handle around a normal Swann Morton thin handle if it helped better grip.

Please be aware that bandsaws are an order of magnitude more dangerous than scroll saws. I acquired mine due to the local sixth form college deciding that their students weren't to be trusted with them...

Very useful tool but need to be treated with great respect and not recommended if your fingers need to be anywhere near the work.

Martin posted before I could say much the same thing. I would add that although a scrollsaw is far safer it's difficult but not impossible to injure fingers. The up and down stroke of the scrollsaw just vibrates the skin but can just nip the flesh if the blade is coarse and/or the stroke is long. Much safer than a bandsaw though

Posted by Bill Rogers on 18/01/2021 11:04:07:

Called VMC

Very helpful and decision is to sell my new Keil Kraft kit and buy a laser cut one from them

No stock of balsa wood, supply problem, and have to wait two months for the balsa wood as apparently it is being used for wind turbines.

Thanks for prompt replies and suggestions.

Bill

Hi Bill. A good idea and if your KK kit is in good condition (box etc) you will probably end up with a profit .

Some KK kits are bringing high prices at the moment .

As with all woodwork really, be aware of the "grain"..

If many ribs the same, the "pack method" and sanded to shape.

I make 2 identical metal templates and sandwich "balsa rib blanks" and make the sandwich then sand.

The section I remember had 20 or so identical ribs needing 20 6inch by 1 inch 1/16 blanks.

Even the tapered wing tip sections where made with the sandwich method.

I am now moving in to my new model room, and will try and post some pictures to show/help.

A sharp new blade is often very useful but just be aware of the "red paint".

Why are my fingers red ? I haven't been using red paint today???