Advert

I found some at Pegasus models but they want £8 to deliver. I managed to make some 1/16 x 1/4" strip by carefully cutting a bit of 1/2" sheet into 1/16" strips and cutting them in half.

Found a bit of 1/8" sheet for the rest which I'll whittle down to 1/16" with a razor plane.

Needs must at the moment!!

Thankfully, modelling does improve our resourcefulness!

Some years ago someone gave me some 1940-1947 Aeromodeller magazines. They were making model planes out of UK hard and softwoods and the plans reflected this.

The balsa shortage could go on for a long time. The UK model market may be too small for the balsa shippers to bother with. Let's hope not.

Personally I have several kits as I'm in the habit of buying ones I like before they go out of production but  maybe don't build them for several years.

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 31/01/2021 17:21:44

Posted by Matt Carlton on 31/01/2021 15:34:00:

I found some at Pegasus models but they want £8 to deliver.

I'd say that only £8 to deliver something a yard long that is very frangible is a bargain when you consider the amount of protective packaging, time and effort the supplier will have to put in as well as the Royal Mail or courier costs for something that long.

• 3 weeks later...

Feeling quite smug...

I haven't bought any balsa for about 5 years...... all repairs being accomplished using 'left overs'.

This includes some pretty comprehensive repairs on my SFM SE5 and Fokker DVII, and my baby Nigel Hawes Tucano (this included building and planking a Canopy to replace one I lost, and found 5 days after finishing covering the replacement).

I shouldn't really be smug as most of my planes are foam and generally fixed with cocktail sticks/bamboo skewers/coffee stirrers or carbon rod/strip salvaged from dead planes.

I think this is changing as most of my more recent planes are balsa (or that odd Chinese stuff).  Oddly, I also seem to be drifting towards ic.......

GG