RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

This was a Pupeteer I repaired for a friend, this uses aluminum ducting tape from Halfords it can work well, for those that don't fancy working with Lith.

Interestingly this months RC Model flying covers lith forming for beginners. Clearly something we need to re-explore.

Cheers

Danny

Danny, Retracing litho work would be great to pass the time away until we start.

Also, Balsa Cabin sell Oracover film covering in chrome which looks pretty good.But I must admit,considering the price,aluminium tape would be cheaper .

I'm trying to dig out my lithoplate from the other shed at the moment.I think iv'e got around 50 or 60 sheets of the stuff.

As well as litho work,Silver soldering would be good as well...ready for the undercarriage.

If others have got issues of things they're not sure about,maybe we should get them out in the air before we start,so we can all be on the same page when we start.

That's a very good idea, there are a few skills that could do with a visit.

I was chatting at Cosford today with Martin Fane and we were discussing wheels for his Me109, the Len Gardiner wheels having long since been available and I was explaining how you could make wheels rather than buy. I am not sure he is convinced but Brian Taylor made his wheel from plywood disks and tyres fashioned from neoprene chord (google it, you free flighters especially Mr Sephton know about this stuff, in fact twas Mr S put me on to it!)

It was suggested that we perhaps start making bits like wheels and all those nasty bits of bracketry, or at least cut bits out before the start?

I had a word with Chris at SLEC and he is more than happy to cut us some hinge plates as he did for the Chipmunk. We just have to get him the cad files. He has a slightly thinner material now which will suit us better I reckon.

Anyway all good ideas and it keeps the cells churning

Cheers

Danny

Just ordered some brass sheet from Mac models; I am going to try cutting out some brass parts using the Stepcraft; I will need to make some cad files up for these so depending upon the results I will make them available to anyone that wants them. Whilst cutting parts in plywood is easy enough I have never attempted metal before; it may not work but its worth a try. I don't have the plan yet though so not sure what is involved. If the Stepcraft experiment does not work, the cad drawings could be used for laser cutting.

I will let you know how I get on.

Danny,Making wheels from ply is the way to go.Laminating ply and lightply in the middle would make them lighter .I have made wheels this way on another project and they are still being used now.For the tyres I have used Hoover belts made of rubber ,for electric plane wheels I have used the garden kneeling mats for the tyres.This material is quite hardy and keeps shape well.When using this material,i make the inside diameter a little bit smaller so you have to stretch them on to the ply disc.I also use a plastic tube for the middle of the wheel as a bearing,ready for the axal.This also helps when cutting the ply for the round shape on the fret saw.

I wouldn't use metal for the centre of the wheel,mainly because metal to metal noise could upset the signal to the receiver.

Fats

Posted by Martyn K on 14/07/2017 21:41:18:
See if this works Chris
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/283937951485567346/

Edited By Martyn K on 14/07/2017 21:45:19

Thank you again, Martyn.

I had a very emotional moment when I thought your link showed what looked like Belgian roundels, unfortunately it is a Republican Spanish Fury (4-2) and not a BAF one. The roundels are indeed very alike but the center circle is dark blue and not black. crying

On the other end, when I see the kind of documentation books, booklets and magazines as well as building solutions - Metalcoat, Aluclad, Alu tape and others - that Master members are already projecting, I'm starting to wonder why I did subscribe to this Class.

Now I guess when the time arrives to receive the Traplet order in the mail, I will finally realize what I did... frown

Cheers

Chris

You will be fine Chris eat the elephant one bite at a time.
Martin Gwyns build is on RCSB forgive the raw link but no other option available on the mobile https://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12777&PN=0&TPN=1
As for tyres. If you cannot get neoprene chord thick enough, Mick Reeves sells foam donuts that you turn on a mandrel in a lathe/pillar drill doesnt the 109 have a strange tread pattern too?

Ps you will have to check on RCSB for details. I know he has used an English wheel to shape the cowls. He has had help from the guy that helps make the Mossie cowls!
Cheers
Danny

Fury documentation (continued):

Forgive me for repeating the Airfix box artwork, but it sets the seen for the box contents. The colour plate in the instructions show both the Duxford and Camo versions of the Fury and the decals could come in very handy :

img_1708.jpeg

img_1704.jpeg

The Profile Publications booklet has already been mentioned. It includes details of the 43 Sqn machine and a rather fine example in Cranwell colours.

img_1706.jpeg

So, my choice of two possible aircraft to model has just become 4!

Watching with interest, hope to be able to join "Fentons Furies".

However I need to get the chippy completed and basic covering done first. Not to mention at least making a start on my warbirds Me110. Will be changing shift patterns in the New year which should free up a lot of time and dare I say the DIY will also reduce.

I would like to join in as I think that I will learn a lot about litho, working with brass etc and wire bending, not to mention the silver finishing. Fitting a laser in maybe a challenge!

After getting through a Bryant wing not sure that I can cope with two Bryant wings (utter madness).

Wishing those that start all the best.

SW

If you must have sprung wheels then putting the hub inside rubber doughnuts / O ring or even a smaller model wheel which supports the scale rim might work.

Rubber in compression like the original Mini might form the basis for a scale Dowty wheel. ( or perhaps that's whats actually inside a Dowty wheel? ) But surely simpler is better especially with the surfaces we often fly from.

I can see ways to do it but don't have the engineering skill or kit needed. KC, thethought of using rubber has occurred to me, for it to work the rubber needs to have enough "give" to allow adequate movement under load, but without being so flexible that it can't resist sideways deflection under side-loading. Also the disc needs to move with the wheel rim and tyre, not the axle. The wheel inside a wheel idea could work though. 

The Dowty wheel used springs, Tony's post shows it well. I remember the Triumph motorcycle sprung rear hub used into the early 50s. That was a spring device that gave 2" of movement. Dad reckoned that if you tried to take one of those apart you'd probably suffer a fatal injury and if you didn't, you'd never put it back together again. 

There is a challenge here, I'm going for the Spanish Fury regardless, it definitely appeals to me.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 18/07/2017 22:17:52

Hi all

I thought that this might be of interest. It shows a magazine article from 197? by Dennis Bryant in which he shows how he make struts for biplanes. The magazine cover featured Dennis Bristol Bulldog. The metal panelling was kitchen foil attached with double side tape.

Cheers John.

Posted by John Timmis on 19/07/2017 08:06:21:

Hi all

I thought that this might be of interest. It shows a magazine article from 197? by Dennis Bryant in which he shows how he make struts for biplanes. The magazine cover featured Dennis Bristol Bulldog. The metal panelling was kitchen foil attached with double side tape.

Cheers John.

John,

It may just be my computer, but there is no article or link I can see with your post.