RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

Hi chaps, I've had an email from Kevin at Sarik who spotted this thread and has the following info:

DESIGNER Dennis Bryant

WINGSPAN 60" / 1542mm

RADIO FUNCTIONS 4

WEIGHT 5kg max.

SCALE 1:6

POWER SOURCE .60 cu. in. 2-stroke

Hawker Fury 1 (60" Plan

Pride of the RAF, and considered to be one of the best looking biplanes of all times, the Fury is superbly drawn on 2 large sheets from the Dennis Bryant Elite Plans range, and features an all wood construction. Not for beginners.

RRP: £27.50

SKU: MW3453

Hawker Fury 1 (60" - Laser Cut Wood Pack

Laser cut wood pack for the Hawker fury 1 (60"

RRP: £133.99

SKU: WP3453

Hawker Fury 1 (60" - FG Cowl

RRP: £21.50

SKU: CF3453CL

Hawker Fury 1 (60" - Aluminium Spinner Set

RRP: £22.99

SKU: CS3453SET

Hawker Fury 1 (60" - Full Set

Full set includes plan, lasercut woodpack, Spinner, Cowl

RRP: £205.98

Save: £20.60

Now: £185.38

SKU: SET3453

P&P for a wood pack and any additional parts (a Full Set for instance) will be £8.95 in the UK. Overseas customers will need to request a P&P quote.

P&P for the plan only is £2.80 First Class.

E&OE.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 08/09/2017 16:44:24

Hi Chris, we know how much the parts were from Traplet as we all bought them, roughly £150 including a three view drawing, and some bought a spinner too, (that doesn't fit). The price we didn't know was the price Sarik were going to charge.

Now we know, £60 more than we all paid the first time around. And I still haven't got money back from the credit card company.

Danny

Hi Danny & all,

Quite sad that you don't have that credit card refund yet. It's on its way, I presume. Are there other subscribers still waiting for it?

Thanks to Mr Ashby for posting, but I was a bit surprised to read that Mr Kevin "spotted' this thread and apparently didn't decide to step in with Sarik Hobbies's statement.

Of course, looking at it from a Belgian bird perspective, I can't know if there is a direct 'liaison' between Sarik and RCME. I did try to follow the earlier MHS arrangement with Traplet, but with not much luck. sad

If I'm allowed a very personal view, here are my feelings:

1/ I would prefer to buy only a laser cut wood pack as soon as Danny or Martyn can collect some quotes from Dylan, SLEC, Belair or RBC.

2/ as Andy and others stated before, the spinner doesn't fit, the cowl looks indeed a bit 'short'. It would be better if it could reach the fuselage panels just in front of the upper wing cabanes.

3/ Danny can show us all how to make a correct spinner, at least for EP.

4/ I'll try to make my own fibre glass cowl with a foam plug & silicone mould. Anyway, the good old balsa method still exists, I guess.

5/ It would be great to be able to purchase a set of CNC cut fibre & brass parts.

6/ any 'silly' ideas are welcomed to be corrected of course. smiley

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, all good points.

1. The cadding route requires somebody to trace the plan. I have never done this, though I have a pretty good idea how to, but I will be slow. I can understand those that want to quote wont want to share their files. So watch this space.

2. You need to look at the plan Chris the upper section of the forward fuselage lifts off, as does the top wing complete with the top of the fus. Very difficult (but not impossible) to make a longer cowl.

3. Yes I can make a plug and vacform some spinners, that peeps can purchase at cost plus postage.

4. The balsa method will work for me. Being electric negates the need for a removable cowl anway.

5. I was hoping somebody would jump up and offer to suggest somebody that can cnc brass parts?

6. none of those are silly ideas

Cheers

Danny

Been reading your posts with interest. Regarding converting the plan to cad, i had a quote from a supplier for a 65" model twin @ £127+ vat asking fellow modellers I was advised this was reasonable for the work involved. Not sure if that gave the rights to the conversion as well. Also advised that the conversion is not always accurate . Decided to go the traditional route and cut the parts myself and ordered the wood instead.

Hi chaps, the list of jobs required to make this build happen is getting longer and longer I am feeling it is coming down to me which is not what I imagined.

I had agreed to setting up a deal with SLEC to cut the hinges, as I did for the Chipmunk build.

However now I see I am being looked toward for cadding and setting up a deal with "somebody"

Dealing with the cowl and spinner issue as well as trying to figure out if brass can be cnc'd at a reasonable cost.

That is not to mention the build itself. So don't expect immediate answers to questions.

I have found a great website which will convert PDF's into JPG's, so have imported the Fury plan into TurboCad to start tracing. But Alan has alluded too, this is not a quick process, and though many, it seems, that perport to cadding plans for laser, they do not apply the offset for the laser cut. So I am probably looking at 20 - 30 hours cadding, before I can even start trying to get quotes.

So can I have a show of hands as to who would tentatively want a set of laser cut parts, who would want glass hinges and who would want brass parts cutting, all at cost plus postage. This will then help me judge the size of the market. If there is only me then I will cut my own parts. I stress this is not being done for profit.

Danny 1 laser parts - 1 hinges - 1 brass bits - 1 vacformed spinner

Cheers

Danny

As mentioned, the lasercut parts I have already CADed and are ready to go other than me working out a price, other parts can be easily drawn up the same, as can the plan now the lasercut parts are done. As I said before, if anyone is interested in any of the above just PM me, as yet no one has.

Hi.

Nev. 1 laser cut parts. 1 vacform spinner

The brass parts and hinges I will cut make myself, don't know about the cowl yet.

Dylan has expressed a willingness to help

And we have the parts available from Sarik.

I think those are the only options we should be considering.

I am happy to go with the majority if it makes numbers viable or go with the easiest option. It wasn't my intention to create work for anybody.

I totally understand there is a little history involved here that is perhaps stopping people going down the obvious path, me included but not to the extent of expecting others to do the work for me.

Nev.

Hi all,

With the kind of energy already involved, I wouldn't personally think "to reconsider the subject" as David states.

Let's stick together and support the ones that made this project going.

Nev is quite right with his approach of going with the majority, even if I'm not that sure to understand the "little history involved"...

Anyway >

Chris > laser cut parts, glass hinges, brass bits & vac spinner.

Thanks again for your involvement, Danny.

Cheers

Chris

Edited By McG 6969 on 10/09/2017 13:40:52

Danny

Appreciate all your efforts.

I have the plan, laser cut parts and cowl (from Sarik) and the spinner, I know its the wrong size but Sarik are looking into a remanufactured batch.

If there was a large enough order for laser cut parts and cowl perhaps Sarik would offer a discount ?

I understand with the history peoples reluctance to use Sarik but in the case of this build it is the easiest option.

I would like to add my name to your list, 1 hinges - 1 brass bits - 1 vacformed spinner.

thanks

Martin

Danny your efforts are much appreciated but I agree cad work is a step to far , however I would very much like the hinges not to worried about brass work would also like a vac formed spinner if possible going to pm Dylan 're laser cut parts . I have also previously offered the cowl that I bought before the Traplet crash that still stands, there is still plenty of time to work it all out 😀

Danny, as others have said I greatly appreciate your efforts, but I am sure you have enough on your plate without making dozens of hinges and brass fittings etc.

Having said that, please also include me for the hinges. I am proposing to use a RCV 90sp so the spinners is probably no use to me, and I want to make the brass parts myself. I have sent a PM to Dylan re Cut Parts sets, but if he is not able to supply them, then include me in the "bulk order" for the cut parts.

I intend to make my own cowl from fibreglass by making a plug and using a flower pot and plaster of paris to make a mould. Should be interesting!

Regarding copying the drawings into TurboCAD, this is something I am also doing to teach myself how to use the program. I have tried tracing the drawings, but have found the .pdf file gives a picture which is approximately one degree out of square, and copying the shapes of the curves requires measurement of intersecting parts to get them correct, e.g. for the formers. It seems to me that the design is a little heavy at the tail end, and would benefit from using 1/16 lite ply in place of 3/32 balsa for the formers and tail feathers.

For the RCV engine, the first couple of formers will need to be modified, but that is simple enough.

William

That's a great offer Danny, thanks very much. Please put me down for:

1 laser parts - 1 hinges - 1 brass bits - 1 vac formed spinner

I have to say that having already paid money to Traplet for the set, I'm reluctant to do it again, especially when they took the money from my account when they clearly did not have the items in stock! 'Nuff said on that subject, I feel.

TurboCAD - I use the bezier curve function to trace from a source document and have found it works well. I'm not sure what you mean by "...requires measurement of intersecting parts to get them correct...", William. Please expand as I may be able to help.

Edited By Andy Sephton 1 on 10/09/2017 19:40:30

Just as a side note for those guys looking at tracing the plans to create CAD files, I actually ditched TurboCAD and other CAD software a while ago to do this, I personally find it much easier to trace using CorelDraw. To produce ribs I simply trace around the overall outside shape and to add the notches etc I draw a box to the size I want, create a centre line over the original plan for position then "attach" the notch to the centre line at the appropriate depth. Formers I do pretty much the same, but I draw a centre line down the former first, only trace half of the former, place the notches, then mirror it so I know both sides are EXACTLY the same as I have yet to find a copy of a copy of copy of a plan to have not distorted slightly over time and multiple copies, of course this doesn't work for formers that are not meant to be even both sides.

It's a speed thing, I just found TurboCAd time consuming and I could produce the drawings quicker in Corel, plus I use Corel for the laser cutting files, so it's easier all in one program, rather than produce a dxf, export it, import into corel and convert.

I do still use CAD software to produce anything I design though.

Hi all
Apologies for the delay responding, but just back from my holidays last week and been catching up.

Currently we have two options for laser cut parts and i have also started work on converting the plan to CAD. However, I am making minor changes to suit my construction preferences - for example using hollowed lite ply ribs and the rear formers in lite ply rather than birch ply. Construction will essentially be the same though although i am tempted to have a 2 or 3 piece wing. I dont want to deviate too much though as that would detract from the build.

However, there is no rush. I expect my cad work to be finished some time next month and i will share this for comment.

I think the spinner could be made from fibreglass using an alloy back plate. Getting the balance right may be a challenge though. Jury is still out on the cowl but i think this could be easily planked. I need to get some cross sections so that i can get intermediate formers drawn up as well.

Please remember this is not all Dannys problem, we need to sort the problems as a team.

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/09/2017 21:51:25

This is a bit of a quandary. Having seen Danny today at Shawbury it became clear to me that he's getting headaches that he doesn't deserve. My natural tendency would be to simply re-place the order with Sarik and accept that it will cost a bit more than we originally expected. However I understand some of the reservations and need to think a bit more. To help in the exercise, count me in for the glass hinges, laser cut parts and brass bits. I won't go for the vac formed spinner at this stage because I'm not certain yet that my project would be electric, it might be i/c. Not definite about it yet.

We will be away again from the early hours tomorrow until 28 September. I'll try and get my head around this when I get back. Not going anywhere then for the rest of this year and I want the Chipmunk finished by Christmas.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 10/09/2017 22:50:53

Funny old world isn't it.

Everyone was up in arms when Traplet went bump, with cries of "model industry in crisis"

Having struggled out of their problems, you're now going behind their back to save a few quid, just at the point where Sarik could really do with the business.

There's no hope...