RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

Hi Guys, Ernie is getting on with etched bits. I reckon that there are around 50 bits.. I don't have a price yet,. There is an ominous silence from the company that makes the parts; I asked for a quote last wednesday.

If I don't get anything over the weekend, I'll call them on Monday. If there's a big problem, I'll try someone else

ernie

For anyone interested, there is now a completed but not yet flown electric Bryant Fury MkI. Please check the link to the thread I started on RC Groups: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2548913-Hawker-Fury-Mk-1/page8

Cheers!

Neil

Edited By Rem Fodder on 02/06/2018 13:20:42

Posted by Ernie on 02/06/2018 08:19:13:

Hi Guys, Ernie is getting on with etched bits. I reckon that there are around 50 bits.. I don't have a price yet,. There is an ominous silence from the company that makes the parts; I asked for a quote last wednesday.

If I don't get anything over the weekend, I'll call them on Monday. If there's a big problem, I'll try someone else

ernie

Thank you Ernie

So....just thinking of the cut parts and hinges

Danny F

Martyn K

Andy S

Tony B

David A

Jose LG

Colin L

That's great, I can at least dangle the carrot of seven potential orders when talking prices

I have been following the build Rem, it has come out well.

I was chatting to Richard Dalgleish and he has had a slight mishap with hisy Fury, he not once, but twice dug a wingtip in and broke wing spars. He is stripping the covering off the wings and repairing as we speak. The benefit to us is he has offered to take internal wing structure pics so we can see how he built it.

Jose, I am very remiss, I didn't reply to your offer of spinners. I am sure a few would be very keen, and thank you.

I have to be careful as to what I use, If I haven't designed or made something and I enter comps with the model then I have to declare as such, and lose points. Probably not a big deal as i want to do this for fun, but I also don't want to limit my options. I am considering dual control again, R/C and control line

Cheers

Danny

Hello to all,

Hi Danny,

Apologies for being on the late side with my reaction, but we just got back from sunny Ouzo-land.

I'll add my 'carrot' as I'm in for the woodpack, glass parts & brass bits.

I'm very probably the only 'ignorant' one here, but who is Tina? Is she with Slec? or another laser cutting office?

As I'm going for an Hispano-Suiza version, I'll make a glass fiber cowl with the longer cylinder head blisters but I might be interested in Jose's carbon - or glass fiber - spinner.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks Chris, sorry I missed you off the list

Danny F

Martyn K

Andy S

Tony B

David A

Jose LG

Colin L

Chris McG

Hi Ernie, I have been trying to arrange a visit to Duxford and access to one there, but so far its not proving easy. Otherwise it is the web I am afraid.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny

Thanks for all your efforts. Really looking forward to getting thd build started.

Could you include me on the list for hinge and brass parts.

For info, I still do not yet have a replacement correctly sized spinner from Sarik. I'm hoping for further feedback from them soon........

Cheers

Martin

Hi Danny and All,

I've been looking at the Denis Bryant fury drawings, and have made a rough sketch of the bits that could be acid etched;

The minimum size they can produce is 250x100mm, so, I've allowed more bits than are needed (to allow for the bits that end up on the floor) Also, there's a windscreen frame, pitot head etc.

If anyone has close up photos, I can make them more realistic. Complex detail is no problem

Price should be less than £20, depending on how many I order. Trust me, the quality is superb;

Nothing is finalised, so i can incorporate any other bits and pieces

Hi Guys, Before I get on to it, a few close up pix would be useful. And thanks Martyn for the offer re CAD.

I'll use Adobe illustrator for this...I never did learn CAD, Architectural school in my day was strictly adjustable set square and wooden Tee;

ernie

Ernie, a man of your talents could easily conquer Turbocad, I find it much easier than Illustrator. I have some ace totorials if you ever want to give it a go?

Anyway talking of CAD.... I have been playing while waiting for epoxy to dry.

Ignore all of this if you are going to make lots of noise and fill the sky with soot, but i am going electric as you will gather. Can't have all my detail vibrating off can we?

BEBS new column featuring a Sea Fury and converting one to electric is covering similar ground so I would show my thunking to re-inforce his words.

I am happy at 5S, I have several motors (5065 is a favorite) various kV around the 275 - 500 KV they will turn nice big props. So the only variable I have to play with is the capacity. However I do have one more trump card I can play, and that is to split the pack into two. In this case I have gone with the Zippy Compact (currently a favorite cell) 2700mAh. 2 of these in parralel gives me 5400mAh at 664g. A 5000mAh 5S Zippy Compact is 600g. So the density is good.

The beauty of splitting the packs is I can get them both in the nose between the motor and the main bulkhead.

May I present to the jury exhibit A,B, and C m'lud

motor and batts doodles profile view.jpgmotor and batts doodles plan view.jpg

motor and batts doodles front view.jpg

Unfortunately the down side is pack changing will have to be done through the cowl, either the top comes off or the bottom. Either way it probably means I will have to split the cowl.

Anyway I will ponder, but this looks promising, and I defy anybody to get the cells any further forward! The servos will go directly behind the bulkhead with pull pull cables to rudder and elevator.

Its all getting rather exciting isn't it

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 05/06/2018 23:24:10

Hi Tony, I am sure a modeller of your talents will cope just fine. Though I feel quite honored that you should change your whole modus operandi to join in

Looking at the drawings, those that are going electric, if you are uncomfortable squeesing the batts in where I have, and there is the risk of future availability of packs that will fit. Then you could build a box behind the bulkhead, the effective c of g wont be as forward but gives more space.

profile alternate cell layout.jpg

The horizontal layout would be difficult in the respect to pack access.

Cheers

Danny