RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advert

Posted by Richard Mallam. on 07/10/2018 15:03:41:

Hi everyone, moving a bit forward, has anyone given any thought to the main wing spars. To my inexperienced eye, I would question their strength. Should consideration be given to augmenting with carbon?

The plan states that the spars should be cut from hard balsa and that the rigging should be functional. Provided you do that and you fly the model in an appropriate way, then you should not have any problems. The alternatives are to make the spars from spruce or, as you suggest, to add carbon. Both would help the strength of the wing, but they would also add weight.

The spars on mine will be hard balsa and the rigging live.

You're welcome Richard.

In order to get the best strength out of a set of spars, you'll need to ensure that the grain of the wood is parallel with the side of the spar. i.e. it doesn't go off the side at and angle. To ensure that and to aid picking the right grade of wood, I tend to strip my own spars from sheet stock - it's also cheaper, spar-for-spar, too!

You'll need to look for a grain in the side of the sheet that looks like this:

img_7058.jpeg

...and not grain that goes off the edge, like this:

img_7067.jpeg

Also, avoid wood with a grain that runs off the side of the sheet, or a sheet with a curved grain such as:

img_7059.jpeg

If I had to use the above wood for strips, I'd first cut out a rectangle with sides parallel with the grain, then strip the spars from that:

img_7063 3.jpeg

In fact, looking closely at the above, there's probably only three-quarters of the above rectangle that would be of use as a wing spar.

It's all very pedantic, but I hope that helps - it should also allow you to get the maximum possible strength from the minimum size of spar.

Hi Guys, If you are confident enough to do the build yourselves then please carry on, but please if you get stuck or do something wrong then you only have yourselves to blame. I know you are keen as mustard and are perfectly capable, but ther are some gotchas on this model that I do know about. I cannot give you a heads up until I am at that stage too.

Martyn has started on the wings and has hit a snag with the position of the 1/4" tip spars, well actually the slots in the tip ribs that sit over the spars. they do not allign as they should and will need a little fettling to make fit.

However there is another area of the wing that many are not aware of. The spars do not sit flat on the bench. the spars are recessed into the wing, the notches in the ribs for the spars are deeper than you would think they should be. This is not an error but amongst other reasons it is to ensure the covering doesn't contact your spars.

So please be careful, it is not a straightforward build......

spar position in wing ribs.jpg

Cheers

Danny