Laser fly in at national centre?

This has been something i have been musing for some time and was wondering what everyone thought. 

If we ignore covid for a sec, and ignoring logistics, weather etc, who would be interested in a fly in at Buckminster (or other suitable location??) for Laser powered models? 

This is, in some respects, selfish on my part as i have been at Laser 10 years next month and built goodness knows how many engines. once i box them up i only see them again after some sort of accident or the ravages of time. it would be nice to see the engines i have made actually doing what they are supposed to do, see the creations our customers have come up with, and have a nice bit of flying while we are at it. 

I also have a crazy idea about seeing as many 1/4 scale tiger moths, stampe's, chipmunks etc as we can muster all in a line taxiing down to the runway for a 'formation' takeoff in pairs and massed fly about. It would probably be chaos, but as long as we dont break anything it will be fine..

It wouldnt all be scale though. Anything with a laser engine would qualify for entry so dont feel your old and beaten acrowot or similar lacks the required stature. Bring them all. Off the top of my head we would probably need to have slots to keep similar models together. Cut the hour into sport, biplanes and stuff, WWII...dont know, just something to stop the ben buckle guys getting cut in half by a Sea fury, sensible stuff like that but not too formal. Its a fly in, not a show. 

So let me know your thoughts, its going to be a way off if it happens at all and i have no detailed plans or info on it. I was just curious if anyone would be interested or if it would just be me alone in a field.

• Like 1

Advert

Thanks for the input guys. 

Buckminster is a long way for me as well and its the distance that has always put me off as summer weather cannot be replied upon and its a long way to drive just to get rained on. 

Ron, bring them all. I recommend renting a chinook and air lifting them in. That or fitting larger fuel tanks and flying them in using gps ? 

4 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Ron, bring them all. I recommend renting a chinook and air lifting them in. That or fitting larger fuel tanks and flying them in using gps ? 

I got a bit of a shock when I counted up the number of ‘planes I have powered by Laser engines but these would be first on the list:

Tigercat 160v x2

Bearcat 240v

Wots Wot XL 180

Taylor Craft 155

LA-7 80

Sportster 200 in-line twin

The problem is that I couldn’t bring all of these and some, together with 3 (4?) others would have to be left at home! So maybe it would be these:

Tigercat - just got to!

Bearcat - just love the 240v

Sportster - if the 200 in-line sounds as good as it looks.

LA-7 - small enough to shove in between the others (or in the trailer that will be carrying the TC and Bearcat).

Bring it on!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Steve Dunne said:

Choice, choices!

May decide what to take depending on what else will be there - dogfights, formations etc?

Steve.

For me personally, some formations of large warbirds and/or classic biplanes etc would be just awesome. Nothing fancy, just having a group of similar warbirds lazy 8'ing round the sky would be just fine. It wouldnt be that sort of thing all day, but it would be rude not to try it a few times. 

Last year Tim, myself and another club member had our 2 acro wot xl's and TIms wots wot xl. All powered with a variety of 4 strokes and 7 cylinders in total! Anyway, we all taxied out in a line, acrowot, wots wot, acrowot, all line astern. We then turned around and took off in turn. Just getting that far looked awesome and we were barely in the air! If we had...ok lets be crazy, 15 tiger moths or similar, and they are all in a line, engines running before they taxi out and take off in turn. Just watching that would be worth the drive. 

The only thing we do need to watch out for is collisions. We dont want any accidents and i would expect all massed flights to be relatively sedate affairs briefed in advance so we all know what we are doing. Simple common sense rules will apply like not trying to overtake slower models or cutting corners to get ahead of someone. This will be aided by grouping like models together so we dont have warbirds stalling out while the tiger moths are breaking up due to overspeed.