moulding canopies

Hi, I am in the process of building some 1/2 A models for my Grandson, who wants one with a canopy so he can put a proper pilot in ( smiley)

I was going to go on the lines of a plunge mold, but before i start, what is the best material to use and where can you get it from? I don't really want to use the pop bottle method. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, Geoff

Maximum length will be about 5"

Good evening. I have looked on Sarik in the past and they don't seem to do what used to be called universal canopies with different sizes, but i will give Trent a call tomorrow, A3 sheets are quite cheap so i will have a word with them. I do want to mould my own to find out if i can. More satisfaction. I will let you know how i get on?

Thanks Geoff

• Like 1

This is my setup which consists of an ali frame and a box which connects to the vacuum cleaner. I made the frame to fit in the grill slider ways in the cooker. The box is a simple plenum with holes drilled for suction and some draft strip to seal the frame. I clamp a piece of 1mm PETG sheet to the frame. Heat it under the grill till it starts to sag then with the vac cleaner running I quickly take the frame and push it down over the plug located on the box until the frame seals on the draft strip and the vacuum pulls it tight. I have made two perfect canopies for classic aerobats this way.

A.

VacForm.jpg

NewCanopy.jpg

IMG_20200211_084710979.jpg

IMG_20200323_144126319_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

It's not dangerous in the sense that all the metal parts are safety earthed and you don't come into contact with it in use. I also use an RCD socket just in case. 

It is deep because I found with a shallower box I was getting localised hot and cold spots on the plastic. Increasing the depth has solved that issue nicely.

Alan, I guessed the box was set up  for even heating, however, it's interesting because I use a cooker grill which works perfectly well where the spacing is a lot closer.

Geoff, Yes I cast all my canopies in plaster because you simply don't know if a replacement is going to be available. That one you can see was cast in builder's finishing plaster and took a few weeks before I could de-mould it because it takes an age to dry out. I use plaster-of-Paris now because it dries quicker.

Sorry if that offended you Alan and I had noted you previous comment.  However Vortex are not a very obvious supplier so i thought it worth mentioning it here.

Relevent to the original enquiry is the fact that Vortex also do pilot mouldings mostly quite a large size  but they also do a sheet of 10 small 30mm by 30mm which may well be of interest.  

• 2 weeks later...