Treasure trove

DIGGER

I was contacted by my plumber about a lady who's husband is very ill with later stages of Altzimers and in a care hospital who has been making model aircraft for years, and wants to sell everything and being in her 80s and poor health, So I went round, in the spare room there was about 20 motors nearly all in boxes. I'm not an i/c man and couldn't tell you what they were but they were hardly used. I think all of them were glow engines,  I did recognise some names Cox, OS I think, many other names, ranging from small to large,  lots of silencers some on the motors some lose, fuel tanks, etc. But as we all fly electric they were of no use to us. I/c models are not wanted anymore owing to fuel cost and  problems getting it. I contacted a friend and he said the samething, he said they weren't worth a tenner each. Now you may ask where are they? We are in Cyprus, the whole lot could have been boxed up and shipped to the UK but at what cost. I then went round to the shed the door had been left open, and the place was teaming with rats that had had a field day with the balsa, solar film and the models in there, it was so bad that you couldn't go in, the only thing would be to burn it down, which as its a small wooded shed could be done , the pest control people are going there to put poison down. Back in the house she showed me the wardrobe that was stacked with model magazines going back years, stacks of plans which had been taken from the mags. Again left behind which she will put out for rubbish. Such a treasure trove of things that took years to collect, but out here is of no use as there isn't big clubs or interest.

Chris

Advert

I can still get them  but as I said it's the shipping, I can box everything and send it to a firm in Warwickshire,  cost unknown as they will go by sea. 

I would love to rescue them and have them go to a good home, TIME IS A FACTOR HERE, or they will be lost.

ANY HELP PLEASE.

This is the update, and I thank you all for replying,  I have been in contact with the lady, and I am going to see her again and make a list and photos of them and I will post on here so I can get a relistic price. Yes I can put them on ebay but I want to know more price wise. As I said I'm in Cyprus and I need to do research on them. My main priority is to save this collection and store them untill such time.

Chris

Edited by DIGGER
Missed out a word

If any are shipped to the UK be sure to mark the value on the box as low as possible to minimise the customs charges. Oh the joy of leaving. 

Anyway by all means post photos, i am sure they will be snapped up in short order and i may even take a look myself. You can never have too many engines right?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

....... Oh the joy of leaving. 

Yes, the vaccination program for a start.

Maybe leave the constant digs about leaving at the door from now on? It's getting tedious now.

Ebay would be my chosen route in this particular case or keep them in storage until someone is able to take them back to the UK in person.

Edited by Phil McCavity
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel R said:

all done under regulation that was pre existing

The VAT issue was also pre-existing regulation due to be implemented throughout the EU now.

I ask again to leave it all at the door, they are unnecessary comments and trying to force them into every associated topic at every opportunity is tiresome and tedious.  It's happened, it's not going to change. Move on and live with it. There's enough division as it is without stoking the fire.

Let's get back to the OP now please.

45 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

The VAT issue was also pre-existing regulation due to be implemented throughout the EU now.

I ask again to leave it all at the door, they are unnecessary comments and trying to force them into every associated topic at every opportunity is tiresome and tedious.  It's happened, it's not going to change. Move on and live with it. There's enough division as it is without stoking the fire.

Let's get back to the OP now please.

Then don’t reply to the posts as that only adds fuel to the fire! Let the mods deal with it as they now have done.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 2

For those wanting an update.  I finally got them and I'm now in the process of sorting the boxes of items, as well as motors out. There were 21 motors in all and will list them soon. Some are in mint condition,  some were run and not cleaned after use. I think I will have to get some degreaser and give them a good clean before I can sell them?

Many examples sell on ebay with muck and damage. As ever, depends on how much time you want to put into the sales. Anything worth something is worth giving a wipe over at the very least. I would avoid trying any cleaning chemicals / methods unless you are certain they will not discolour or damage the surface.

Hi Digger. As Nigel R suggest avoid cleaning unless you know what your doing. I have come across many engines ruined by enthusiastic / inappropriate cleaning methods. A gentle clean of exterior with some thinners or a drop of fuel should remove any dirt unless it has been baked on .  Adding any fuel o the internals will only feed any corrosion / rust on bearings etc. Most engine collector prefer a gummed up engine to clean up themselves  to a cleaned up job unless it's been  done professionally / properly with new bearings etc. 

If you sell them on eBay you could use their GSP (Global Shipping Program) if it's available where you live . They take care of all customs stuff etc and bill th customer for postage .All you have o do is post it to their collection center.

Good luck with sale