28g servo wire

Advert

I've found it on Ebay in the past, currently got a supplier on my watch list I'll check for you.

Oops it's the component shop, sorry.

However there's nothing to stop you using a slightly thicker wire for the extension other than a slight weight gain..

Edited by DaveyP

Soldered wires have their own failure modes ? I will point out that a full size avionics wiring harness will use a physically restrained plug/socket combination (screw-lock, normally) with wire supported on the cable/harness side of the crimp (as part of the plug arrangement).

If you want the "right" way... open up the servo, desolder the old wire, solder a new length of wire, apply new potting around that connection, close up the servo again, crimp on a new connector to the new longer wire. But that is quite a bit of time/effort.

Or, by far the easiest way, buy an extension wire. Physically restrain the plug/socket - big heatshrink is ideal; or those special spring clips. Or failing that, tie them together.

Edited by Nigel R

Hi Guys
Always amazed how quick I get replies on this forum. Is there some sort of alert I can set up when a new thread is started?
Anyway, to horse.
DickW
Tried Hyperflight. They do not do flat cable, only twisted. They could not give a gauge for the extension cables they sell, but I get the impression they are ultra light, which probably means 32g.
Was going to order one just to see, until I saw the shipping for a £1.50 item would be £3.00.
ho hum
John and Neil
Thanks for the links, but these seem to be for single cables, not three wire.
DaveyP
Trouble is I want to rewire an Emax servo. This does not have a strain relief grommet but the wire comes out of a slot in the case, which is made for a specific size.
Martin
Agreed, I don't trust plugs and sockets at model size. Nigel is quite right in pointing out that full size aircraft use plugs, but I would suggest they are made and installed to a much higher standard than the average amateur in a shed.
Nigel.
You make very good points, thanks. As it happens, what you describe as the 'right' way is exactly what I am trying to do.

Can't understand why this size is so difficult to find. It is very common on extension leads on artf models. Somewhere in the wilds of China, there is a factory churning out miles of the stuff.

The search goes on.

Jeff

Hi Gary, yes there is a reason.

The servo I am working on is an Emax. This does not have a strain relief grommet, but a slot in the case and a matching piece on the bottom which clamps the wire in place when screwed home.

It is designed for a specific size of wire, hence the search.

Out of interest, just done a search on e-bay. Came up with precisely 7 entries.

One was for Component Shop, which we know doesn't stock it. Most were twisted, which I can't use.

Only found two with the wire I want, and both only supply in large quantities.

Do I really want to but 8.5 mtr for only the 1/2 mtr or so I need.

We'll see

Jeff

Jeff

As a compulsive builder I consider any current need might be repeated at some time so I buy servo wire at least 5 m at a time. I try to make sure it is all kept neatly and labelled. I now have most of the gauges I use (26 to 32), both twisted and flat, and in Futaba and JR colours as well.?

I avoid servo extensions if at all possible and use carefully shrink wrapped soldered joints. Before the shrink wrap cools I gently press the wires together so they stick to one another. It acts a sort of strain relief so you can safely pull a joined servo wire through small holes in wing ribs. ?   

Hi Guys

Can anyone confirm the gauge of wire used on standard servos, 3001's and the like. I always thought it was 26g, but I am now told by someone who should know, that the standard is 22g.

Reason I ask is I am trying to get some wire the next size down, the size often found on extension leads on artf models, like Volantex.

Given that, I assumed that the next size down would be 28g which I am struggling to find.

If the standard is 22g, as I am being told, the next size down would be 26g which is freely available.

As an aside, found a shop in Hong Kong, selling 28g but only in large quantities. Couldn't find it anywhere else so I ordered some. This arrived today and is the same size as standard, so whether that is 22g or 26g, what they sent sure ain't 28g. ho hum.

Not averse to having spare wire around, but I now have 8.5m of the stuff.

Anyone clarify?

Cheers

Jeff

• 1 month later...