Edgley Optica

Basil

Nobody has replied!    If you search the forum you will find quite a few items on the Optica but few built one.   You will see one comment there where Glen J says he spent 1000 hours on his - this was quite a few years ago.   I supplied Glen with a copy of the original article by email and he informed me later of the problems he had to overcome with this model.   It is a very difficult model to build!   One of the problems was the huge glass area and the problem of hiding everything.   Another was Cg and yet another getting servos to aileron and rudder.   Probably the most tricky model to build!

The prototype also crashed. In fairness, amateur pilots trying to make it do a helicopters job.
Nice looking thing. How big is your desire?

In  answer to your question, yes, electric would seem easier. If you can get a prop to fit the fan cowl.

Respect.

Edited by Don Fry
More bits
  • Like 1

built this representation of the Edgley with a ducted fan it taxied quite well and that was about it. In fairness it did rise of the ground for about 5 seconds and then flopped down. I have now done away with the fan and put a small prop on it to see if that improves it.

0E5BE689-8682-4D7E-AD94-6357B27051AD.heic B9473A03-3D04-40F9-98A3-EF2C0035FA22.heic

Since retuning to modelling after so many years( A life time) I have been coming across this design, and so I bought the plan from Sarik to see what its construction was about, and to see if the biuld was possible be made electric(Or EDF perhaps, although not true scale)...

KC.  I have made a search, and yes that was my conclusion 'Looks like its never been built', but what about the plan etc, someone must have in order for it to be published and to offer a kit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The desiner was John Wright, is he a member of the forum, obviously well know in the modelling circles, is he contactable etc? You say there's an article, I've not come across it. If you have it could you send me a copy please, I can send you my email address by PM if thats the case, and thanks for you invovlement.I was thinking that even if you could not hide every thing(Would need a large LIpo, for a start )its still may be worth the effort, my thiunking at the moment. I'll know more when I see the plan, but Sarik seem to take for ever even to post a plan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharpey1071,   I have been unable to download your files, dont know why.I would like to see them however!!!. I have lots of questions. I assume that your build was your own design!!.

Thank you all I hope we can continue this thread , at least for a while longer.

Bas

Basil. I remember during the 90s a member John Bristow of the Ivel Model club built an Optica when we used to fly from The old RAF Tempsford airfield. John made a beautiful job of the Optica and it was powered if I remember correctly by an Irvine 52 with a cut down prop in the ducting. I think it got in the air maybe twice. It would scream down the runway making the right noises but didn't go fast enough to take off. Lots of different props were tried and even I seem to remember 2 wooden props made into a four blader but I don't think John ever got it to work properly, pity because it was a lovely model.

Phil

Message sent.

I seem to remember that John Wright was part of a famous group of aeromodellers in the Nottingham area who built amazing models.   I think he may have been known to Clive Hall ( ModelWorld columnist)and Rob Millinship ( modeller and full size Pitts builder) and others who had stuff published in the 1980's.    Maybe Alex Whittakker showed John Wright in a much more recent column.  I could be wrong!

John Wright is the Chairman of my local club; one of his predecessors was Rob Millinship in that role. I'm not sure John would describe himself as a famous aeromodeller but he has designed and built many scale models over the last 40 years or so.

From what I remember, the Optica flew well, described by John as like a big trainer.

This months mag has the TSR2 plan and if Tony Nihjuis can make that fly successfully I would have thought that an Edgly Optica would be a relatively easy project, given its generous wing area when coupled with a modern EDF fan and LiPo.

Back in the eighties I used to visit the hanger at Cranfield were the full size was under construction. If you think that a model Optica is complicated you should have seen the full size! The first prototype had a pair of wings 'borrowed' from a Grumman Traveller, if my memory serves me right. At the time I thought it should have been fitted with a pair of Aerospatiale Rallye wings as they featured full span auto leading edge slats. The Rallye was sometimes referred to as the 'tin parachute' as it could fly impossibly slowly without stalling - very useful in an observational aeroplane. Tragically, the prototype was lost in a classic stall/spin accident from low level. Even more so when the factory at Old Sarum was burned down with the loss of all the aircraft and jigs in 1987 (arson).

If you build your model Optica Basil be sure to share some pictures with us. 

Edited by Piers Bowlan

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello Gent's.

I've had the plans, foam core wing (outers) and vac formed canopy.

When I was at school, I wrote to Optica expressing my liking for the plane. I wanted to build an RC one way back then having seen the one at Cranfield.

They wrote back and sent some info and a covering letter. I think I still have them....

Anyway, I too want to run electric and see how it goes... She's a big ol'girl though... Lol...

Posted (edited)

Hi David, it is something that I to wanted to build.electric was /is my choice. I have the plans as well. I just cant make that last leap. It looks like a big project, it worries me that it will drag on for some while. Please keep this thread going and keep in touch. Yes please keep in touch!!!!! Where did you get the foam cores?.

Bas

Edited by Basil

1 hour ago, Basil said:

Hi David, it is something that I to wanted to build.electric was /is my choice. I have the plans as well. I just cant make that last leap. It looks like a big project, it worries me that it will drag on for some while. Please keep this thread going and keep in touch. Yes please keep in touch!!!!! Where did you get the foam cores?.

Bas

It is indeed a big project, especially for me as most of my planes are foamies....

I have been thinking of getting a laser cutter to aid in my building.

One of my difficulties will be how to build the foam cored wings.... Add spares and so on....

I got the full set from Traplet, I don't think the kit from  Sarik was available back then...??

5 hours ago, David K said:

It is indeed a big project, especially for me as most of my planes are foamies....

I have been thinking of getting a laser cutter to aid in my building.

One of my difficulties will be how to build the foam cored wings.... Add spares and so on....

I got the full set from Traplet, I don't think the kit from  Sarik was available back then...??

Do they have to foam cored wings ? Would built-up be lighter ?

YouTube - 

Edited by John Wagg
  • Like 2

Basil,

Traplet have now evolved into Sarik Hobbies who sell plans from RCME, RC Modelworld and the old Radio Modeller, Scale Aircraft Quarterly etc. plans.  Based in England. 

Bill Kits in Royston cut foam wings to your templates.

Edited by kc

23 hours ago, Basil said:

Bas

Foam core wings are easy and quite satisfying to build too. Polystyrene foam is cheap and plentiful. Reinforced with carbon fibre strips and covered with brown paper with PVA, are ridged and quite light too.

As an alternative, I can vouch for Bill kits, their wings are well made and reasonably priced. Saves a lot of time too.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, John Wagg said:

Do they have to foam cored wings ? Would built-up be lighter ?

YouTube - 

John, if I remember correctly the plan is for built up wings. Sarik do not mention foam wings. Is this your build?. From the sound the model is fitted with an electric motor and what looks like a  5 blade prop!!!!!, that is the ears of a novice, so could be wrong!!!!. Is this your build?

Bas

Edited by Basil

4 hours ago, Basil said:

John, if I remember correctly the plan is for built up wings. Sarik do not mention foam wings. Is this your build?. From the sound the model is fitted with an electric motor and what looks like a  5 blade prop!!!!!, that is the ears of a novice, so could be wrong!!!!. Is this your build?

Bas

Unfortunately not my build. Always been interested in the Optica but put off due the fatal accidents a some years back. I could make out what the "engine" is but obviously something with lots of rev's.

An excellent model but they do seem to fly a bit fast for my taste. ?

Edited by John Wagg

15 hours ago, John Wagg said:

Unfortunately not my build. Always been interested in the Optica but put off due the fatal accidents a some years back. I could make out what the "engine" is but obviously something with lots of rev's.

An excellent model but they do seem to fly a bit fast for my taste. ?

Thanks for your input John.

Bas