Is the hobby dying?

Tom Major

Hi everyone. 

I came back to the forum after fairly few years of absence. I want to get all my equipment checked and quite possibly get back to flying and here is the absolute shock. 

A lot of brands I remember are either not trading at all or have very limited range. Park zone, Hitec, FMS to name but a few. Some lms have closed down too. 

Looking at this forum, some sections are dead for months too. Is this really the state of the hobby now? I can understand lockdown, ships across the canal etc, but honestly I expected it to be vastly ahead of where I left. Is drone flying now all that’s left? 

Regards

Tom

Advert

You must be reading a different forum than the one I'm reading, which has dozens of posts a day, about lots of different topics.

No, the hobby isn't dying - abundant evidence on this forum that people are very active, building, flying, repairing, flying again. For example it was full house at our Breakfast Fly-in yesterday, much fun had by all.

• Like 1

Just now, leccyflyer said:

You must be reading a different forum than the one I'm reading, which has dozens of posts a day, about lots of different topics.

No, the hobby isn't dying - abundant evidence on this forum that people are very active, building, flying, repairing, flying again. For example it was full house at our Breakfast Fly-in yesterday, much fun had by all.

That’s great to see. I’m certainly looking forward to all the activities from years ago, I have a club nearby too (have not seen the for months, but that’s understandable now). 

I’m just looking at market for last few days and it seems that there is so much less in it.  Or maybe I just need to look better and get to know new places etc. 

Either way - I’m glad I’m not too late.

There has been a pandemic you know.  That affected a great many companies.  Stock has been low but as the World opens up I expect economic activity to pick up driven by the enforced savings (if you've been lucky enough to have a job or are a pensioner) and access to the flying field.

Are you a member of the BMFA and, if you are, do you read the BMFA News.  There is a lot in the recent issue about the Achievement Scheme.  Are you up-to-date on the need to register as an Operator of unmanned aircraft with the CAA and display your OPID on all your aircraft before you fly?  Have you read the info on the BMFA's Drone Regs website.  Are you aware of the BMFA website and its Classified Ads - which has been pretty busy.  Have you visited the Achievement Scheme website? 

There's a lot to catch up on Tom.  Welcome back.

1 minute ago, Peter Jenkins said:

There has been a pandemic you know.  That affected a great many companies.  Stock has been low but as the World opens up I expect economic activity to pick up driven by the enforced savings (if you've been lucky enough to have a job or are a pensioner) and access to the flying field.

Are you a member of the BMFA and, if you are, do you read the BMFA News.  There is a lot in the recent issue about the Achievement Scheme.  Are you up-to-date on the need to register as an Operator of unmanned aircraft with the CAA and display your OPID on all your aircraft before you fly?  Have you read the info on the BMFA's Drone Regs website.  Are you aware of the BMFA website and its Classified Ads - which has been pretty busy.  Have you visited the Achievement Scheme website? 

There's a lot to catch up on Tom.  Welcome back.

Thanks Peter. 

I am aware of new regs, but it looks like I’ve barely scratched the surface. 

I am digging my old equipment out at the moment, I’ll see what is still useful and what needs to be done to be a legal flyer. I remember stuff being much more relaxed 10 years ago… 

Hi Tom, and welcome.

Gary has, despite what you may read, re all the new Regs, summed it up in a nutshell, (or a very short post LOL)

Nothing to worry about at all, just get stuck in at your new club, and enjoy yourself.

What sort, and how old is your Kit/Radio/gear.  I still use 35Meg stuff, and so do others B.T.W.

D.D.

Edited by Dwain Dibley.
Forgot 35meg
  • Like 1

Thank you all for chipping in. Your answers deffo put my mind at ease. 

My equipment mainly consists of old batteries, Tx/Rx and some engines. 

I have Nimh packs that I’m charging now, but don’t think they would have survived so many years of neglect. Radio is Hitec Optic 6 2.4 GHz with Optima 7 Rx. Engines - few Cox .049, one Testor McCoy, PAW and few OS Max - one four stroke .40 and few two stroke. I even got some fuel for both diesel and glow engines, and it should be all good since containers were almost full and sealed tight. Will see soon enough when testing them, if my glow sticks survived of course. 

Regards

Tom 

So this is where I left off. Fairly few nice little pieces. I have very good memories of Golden Bee, here with anodising polished off. It flew many times attached to my Sharkface. Top left in a bag is OS .40FS, just slightly not in one piece. Little red Cox is brand new, has not been run even once. 

I also found bag of chargers, few servos, fuel pump, some spares for engines etc. Just need a plane ?

DA73F520-3160-48A0-ADA8-CF07B9591820.jpeg

• Like 1

I have noticed an interest in new members wishing to join. In the main people coming back to the hobby though also had a couple of enquiries from people wishing to take it up. Maybe lockdown will have caused an uptake from people looking for something new. By the same token some of the older members seem reluctant to come back to the field. Think it will be a strange year, with lack of events which doesnt help as those looking to take up the hobby have not had an opportunity  to attend, see, hear and ask questions.

• Like 2

the hobby has changed a bit since i started last century,nower days we dont have many(any)local shops as we once did,probably killed off by the internet.the gear we use is cheap in comparison to what it was when i started and much more reliable.ARTF aircraft rule the sky's now,and the drones have appeared also.

as regards your batteries,throw them away and buy some new one's...... and finally welcome back from me Tom

ken anderson...ne...1.....welcome dept.

It is very common to see returning modellers come back after a couple of years and crash their models on the first flight ......... they all say  " but my nicads were fully charged and seemed alright"   but of course they were not OK.   Also they all think they had the skill they had before - the wise ones get a docile model to get themselves back in the swing of things.   I don't think the Sharkface qualifies as docile......

Have you checked the TX, Rx and switch harness for any signs of black wire corrosion?

The good news is that once back into aeromodelling most people find it better than ever.

• Like 2

Kc

I'm just getting over everything, mostly engines now. Some I have preserved ok, smooth as ever, but some are seized up. I will get to electronics soon, I’ll make sure to check for corrosion. 

Batteries are all packed and ready to be disposed of. My Tx has been on charge for few hours, voltage drops from 11V to under 9 in few minutes. Not worth taking risk for sake of £15. 

Ken

there are few ARTFs that I really want, but I think some stuff has to be built ?. I deffo want another Sharkface with little Cox on it.  Changes in the hobby are very visible though. 

Zflyer

i can see it to be very strange year indeed. Many other activities are limited to say the least… 

Dwain

I used to love my Optic when few years back. So simple, but amazing radio it was. Just need to dust it off and replace battery in it, do some range checks etc. It wasn’t exactly looked after all those years…

One of the things that has changed in recent years is the availablity of plans online which you can print yourself or have printed at a copy shop.  Outerzone is the main site and they have Sharkface and Sharkface 2 and a few thousand others.

Tom, I am a engine user. I’ve done engines for decades. They are fine power units. 
But, Cox 049.

That’s getting some really high nitromethane fuel, fuel proofing the machine from the very aggressive fuel. Bits to get it all sorted, and started.

At that size, electric rules nowadays. 
Not difficult, help available, cheap, but unless you are in love with that branch of motors there are easier power units available today.
Before my brethren, comrades, tovarishch, sons jump on me, I love the sound. Just not the workload at this size.

Back in the day, I loved my series of Sharkface. Mid 60s. Taught  me to build accurately, and fly.

I do realise there are easier ways to power the aircraft, but Sharky was actually the first RC plane I’ve built and flown myself. I had one powered by Golden Bee and one EP. Loved both. Sound is out of this world, one 8cc tank would give me about 3 minutes of flying. I used to take little jar of fuel, syringe, clip for glow plug and glow stick and was out for hours and hours with it. Never got bored of flying Sharky. EP was better performance wise, but didn’t have that certain smell of fuel. If I can still get dope, jap tissue and fuel proofer I will deffo build one more. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Gary Manuel said:

Yep. I agree with comments about old batteries. Replace them all.

Out of interest I have 2 old receiver batteries that came with a JR 35Mhz set that I bought in the late 80s and horribly abused since. Surprisingly they both still hold a good charge, ideal for setting up equipment on the bench such as installing new servos, setting up stabilised receivers etc.. Don't need them for my models as they are all electric and I use BECs in them, but I take your point I would never use them in a model I was going to fly.

Edited by Andy48

14 minutes ago, Andy48 said:

Out of interest I have 2 old receiver batteries that came with a JR 35Mhz set that I bought in the late 80s and horribly abused since. Surprisingly they both still hold a good charge, ideal for setting up equipment on the bench such as installing new servos, setting up stabilised receivers etc.. Don't need them for my models as they are all electric and I use BECs in them, but I take your point I would never use them in a model I was going to fly.

Nicads had their issues, but in general were a lot more resilient in general than the NiMHs often used today for RX packs. LiFe is better in every way though, provided the rest of your RC gear can take the increased voltage of a 2S pack.

• Like 1