HOUND DOG build

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Sarik discount code   -HOUND - for use in the next couple of weeks see the details here.

It would be interesting to know which parts are included as the 'Laser Cut Wood Pack' - is it all the items shown in Peter's first photo?   

17 hours ago, kc said:

It would be interesting to know which parts are included as the 'Laser Cut Wood Pack' - is it all the items shown in Peter's first photo?  

and more I hope, wing servo trays are normally included, when it arrives, I will lay out the parts as in Peters photo for comparison. 

22 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

Just a point, The motor mount former should be 1/4" ply. This was my mistake on the drawing and I did advise the correction after checking the proofs.

2 laminations of 1/8" would be just as good.

Actually F1 is correctly shown as 1/4 birch ply on the pull out plan in RCME.   Presumably the laser cut parts would use 1/4  or perhaps they would supply 2 layers of 1/8.

I have roughly estimated the amount of balsa that I would need to build this model - I will put the various sizes and quantity on here if anyone needs it.    At Balsa Cabin prices ( SLEC is usually the same ) it comes to £68  for the balsa for entire model.  Balsa is expensive now!   Plus the ply at about £7 for the large ply fus doublers.   There are numerous other small ply parts of various thickness which might come from many modellers scrap box.  Otherwise allow extra for various sizes of ply.     

The laser cut parts set possibly includes the fuselage sides, wing ribs and tailplane etc parts which amount to about £ 20 of the balsa - so maybe you need only £48 worth of extra balsa if you get the laser parts.    It remains to be seen what you actually get in the parts set - maybe it also includes the battery platform, wing bolt plate, servo mounts etc.  

Some people are put off building from a plan simply because they consider cutting out the parts a chore. I really enjoy this aspect of making my own ‘kit of parts’, especially with your designs Peter. In the main they involve simple shapes that are quick to make.
Sarik and SLEC provide an excellent service and the accurate fit of the CNC parts speeds up the build too (usually!). Great for those cash  rich and time poor.

Delivered from Sarik yesterday.

F1 is cut from 1/4 ply as are the U/C mounts LHS, RHS and base.

From 1/8 ply the battery tray, fuselage wing bolt plate for the captive nuts, Aileron horn plates and Tailwheel mount.

From 1/16 Aileron servo plates, C2 cowl plate and wing bolt plate.

Looks like if it's on the drawing it's included in the cut parts.

Steve

Hello Mr. Miller

I am from Slovakia.
I found your model HOUD DOG in electronic format RCM&E 10/2022. I like the shape and dimensions of the model.
That's why I have a question. Can I get a model drawing in electronic format?
Thank you for understanding.
Joseph

Started the wings by sanding the burnt wood off the ribs and test fitting the 1/4 spars. 

The R3 ribs are all the same and the spar cut outs are made to accommodate the dihedral brace. Not a big problem but if cutting your own parts, no problem at all now you know.

Now cutting out the TE for the ribs to slot into.

Steve

Only the centre ribs should have the allowance for the dihedral brace.  The plan shows 20 ribs without that allowance. which are in the aileron area.

This means that there are a few ribs between the dihedral brace an the start f the aileron which are wrong.

Luckily not too much of a problem, just a little packing.

Poor proof checking on my part.

• Thanks 1

Hi Peter, Just started my hound dog build. I'm back into aero modelling and have learnt myself to fly over the last two Years. Much better than I did in the 70s!

I needed a model to learn to do better aero's. And think your hound will be most suitable. Started my build today, wings first, I see the little problem with cut out on the inner few ribs. As you say just a bit of packing should sort it.

Anyway, thank you for designing a interesting model, I've followed a few of your posts for a while now and your a credit to our hobby.

David, in Durham.

• Like 1

Hi David.

I am glad that you like the look of Hound Dog.  I am sure that you will like it.

You will find Hound Dog very docile on low rates and not the slightest bit stressful on high rates.  I must admit that I almost feel that I should have increased the rates in the article but my club mates will tell you that with models like The Ohmen and my Peggy Sue the only time they are flying straight and level is when I am flying them inverted and most people find THEM too much.

And thank you for your kind remarks

Peter

Welcome to the forum @Teacher,

This is as far as I have got.

IMG_20221022_122311.thumb.jpg.8d6274669ccbb6f23b8154c8b5ade106.jpg

The only part glued is the bottom spar to the bottom sheet, the rest is dry fit.

I set up a simple jig to cut all the spar webs for both wings in one go.

IMG_20221022_122212.thumb.jpg.25b1bcf85bd5a2f66010ed7b4c3dc55d.jpg 

I will modify the R3 cut outs by gluing scrap 1/8" square balsa packing then make up more parts before continuing with the glue.

Steve