HOUND DOG build

Advert

I would like to use spinner cooling. I'm curious myself how it will work. I will also have to modify the C1.
Just like the cooling air supply, the warm air outlet is also important. The cross-section of the output should be larger than that of the input.
I still don't know where the warm air leaves the fuselage.
What is your opinion?

Motor with cooling through a propeller cone 1.jpg

Motor with cooling through a propeller cone 2.jpg

I put the servos in the right position and tried it. The directions of movement are also correct! On my transmitter, it is not possible to change the direction of movement of the servos, so I have to do it with the position of the servos.

My servos 1.jpg

• Like 1

If you move both the servos to the left you can place the servo arm on the other side, making the movement reversed.  Move the rods across or use normal 'snakes ' (rather than wire.

Alternatively you might find a different make of servo turns the other way.  But what Tx doesn't have servo reversing now?

I'm continuing to build, but one thing stopped me yesterday. I wanted to cover the bottom of the fuselage.
With the orientation of the wood grain as shown in the color picture, he could not make a bend through F5.
I have built many models, but the orientation of the wood grain has always been along the length of the fuselage.
Is this orientation of the wood fibers correct?

Sheet bottom X grain.jpg

Cover bottom.jpg

Ignore the colour picture.  For a start the wing bolts are in the middle  of the wing,not the TE!!! The bottom sheet stops at the T.E.

I always put the bottom sheet across the wing as this ties the sides together.  Then I just make a score in the bottom sheet which allows it to bend to match the "V"  Fill the score line with glue.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Peter, Steve and all. I am nearing completion of my Hound Dog structure and will soon be ready to cover the model. Up until now I have always used standard Solarfilm to cover my models but have noted that this brand is getting harder to come by these days. I would be interested to hear recommendations for alternative iron-on film that I could consider using instead. Many thanks in advance.

I believe that Rapid are selling the Hobbyking covering (The colours match up including the chequerboard)and probably so is 4-Max although I can't promise that.

I find that the Hobbyking covering is identical in handling and use  to the Supershrink Polyester that Solarfilm used to make and which was the best that I ever used.

Rapid sell by the meter

Just as a point of interest.

If anyone wants a "Hound Dog" like the one that I have on the wing of my own just go on EBay and search for"Hound Dog" and it comes up straight away. Very reasonable price too.

I especially like it because he is dressed as a pilot!!

PS  I am not  connected with the company, just a satisfied customer and I have just ordered another for a Hound Dog being built in the  club

Thanks Peter, I was wondering where you got that from, it's highly appropriate. When it comes to covering and decals I am lazy and usually just end up copying your excellent designs but in this case I am considering using a different colour for the main film. I'm still at the novice end of the scale compared to you guys and quite often struggle a little when flying to maintain continuous awareness of the aircraft's orientation, you can get away with momentary lapses if you fly high and slow of course. So, I'm thinking that sky-blue might not be helpful in this respect. I don't want to use anything too bright and jazzy though as it wouldn't be appropriate to the Hound Dog's slightly vintage appearance. But whatever scheme, that cartoon decal will work a treat! Cheers, Brian

IMG_20230302_112954.jpg

Thanks Peter.

A couple of things worth mentioning - in case anyone has done the same thing as me and glued the ply servo mounts into the wing before realising they should have been screwed in place, I devised as alternative method of fixing using location blocks and a wooden clamp made from the supplied 1/4inch hardwood. The only drawback is that, should I need to gain access to the servos for any reason at a later date, I'll have to break into the upper wing covering and some re-covering will be required. But I have never needed to do this on any of my other models, so shouldn't be a problem.

Also, the pre-cut parts supplied by Sarik included the fin with a wiggly bit at the front supplied as a separate part. Obviously easy enough just to glue in place to make the complete fin, but I can't for the life of me understand why they did that! Very odd, unless I'm missing something. Cheers, Brian

IMG_20230302_113101.jpg

IMG_20230302_113110.jpg

• 1 month later...

Winter project finished, weighing in at 3lbs 7oz, a tad over the target weight. What a good looking model - great design Peter! And, for ease, as usual I copied your colour scheme. I also treated myself to Futaba T6K-V2 transmitter which has dual rates and all sorts of other programmable parameters that I have never thought about before. Just spent the afternoon setting them all up for Hound Dog, so I will hopefully get to grips with her more quickly than I did with Ohmen. 

IMG_20230402_141747__01.jpg

IMG_20230402_141833.jpg

IMG_20230402_145742.jpg

IMG_20230402_145028.jpg

• Like 1

That is great. As they say "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!"

You have done a great job.  I shall look  forward to hearing how the test flights went. If you are anywhere near East Anglia the weather should be good tomorrow for test flying.

I am test flying a new model tomorrow too.