HOUND DOG build

Advert

1 hour ago, EarlyBird said:
2 hours ago, Peter Miller said:

A very little known technique for some jobs that people may find useful using aliphatic resin

I must give that a go.

There is a video describing this process on the Ghost Squadron website here.

I've also had some success using contact adhesive. Run a bead of contact adhesive along the top of each rib, place the sheeting on top and move it around a bit to spread the glue a little. Then put aliphatic glue along the spar and LE and, once the contact adhesive is dry, press the sheeting in place and add pegs/pins. This is very much a one chance process though so you have to be accurate!

On 07/12/2022 at 17:03, EarlyBird said:

That's good news. If you have any questions just ask and please post your progress as I am beginning to feel lonely in here.

Steve

Thanks Steve. 

This will be my first Balsa building model in 15 years. The last 15 years were just arf’s and composite models. Also running a glowplug engine is more then 15 years ago. Must be fun! Back to basics! 😃. I just ordered new bearings for the OS FS26. Also this engine was last time runned 20 years ago. 

Unfortunately the payment to Sarik is failed. Something to sort out as money is transferred. Of course this will be fixed. 

• Thanks 1

Y

12 minutes ago, Didier said:

Yes! This is a 4,5cc fourstroke. Is this a problem to convert it?

You might have to move F-1 back a bit and make it a bit bigger. or you could leave it where it a as you won't hav a big battery behind it/  I needed a little lead inthe tail but you probably won't need that.

I have to  say that you might find the OSFS28 is not quite as powerful as the electric motor that is reccomended but it should be a bit lighter without the battery.  Because of this keep it light a possible

12 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

Y

You might have to move F-1 back a bit and make it a bit bigger. or you could leave it where it a as you won't hav a big battery behind it/  I needed a little lead inthe tail but you probably won't need that.

I have to  say that you might find the OSFS28 is not quite as powerful as the electric motor that is reccomended but it should be a bit lighter without the battery.  Because of this keep it light a possible

Thanks Peter. 
Of course nowadays electric motors are very powerful. I always try to build very light. Hopefully all up weight will be below 1500 grams. But the OSFS26 is such a sweet motor. 😃

1 hour ago, Denis Watkins said:

Have done some numbers Didier, for the FS26 and it will be marginal in the Hound Dog as Peter states.

The original model 50" span around 4 lb weight, about 1800grms.

You are right to aim for 3.25lb about 1470grm, just to take off and maintain flight with the .26.

Is there an other model that is better suited for the .26?

I would say that "The Ohmen" would perform much better on the 26.

It only weighs 1218 gr with a battery in it and it is a bit smaller at 47" span.  I am still flying my original prototype after nearly 5 years and it is my "go to" model.

To be completely honest Hound Dog uses basically the same fuselage design with cosmetic modifications.

I am using Gorilla wood glue, as I always do. On lifting the wing to check the underside I saw that the sheet had not stuck to part of the centre ribs. Then I remembered a tip

On 08/12/2022 at 08:11, Peter Miller said:

A very little known technique for some jobs that people may find useful using aliphatic resin.  This works with thin sheet, i.e. 1/16 sheet and thin ply.

Coat both surfaces with aliphatic resin and leave to dry.  When dry using a hot iron. (A small travelling clothes iron works best) place the thin sheet over the structure and iron it down.  It will bond the two together.

NOTE!  This is a once only process. Once it is ironed on it will never move again.

and being a bit of a rebel, I just wondered. So, heat gun in hand I warmed up the area and pressed it down, it stuck 😲 which made me very happy.

A good tip Peter which appears to work with PVA glue. 

Steve

2 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Kitchen table not available for you?

In the past I have been allowed to work in the garden room (underfloor heating 👍) but it’s a bit too near Christmas for that seemingly!

I use the heat (travelling iron) on pva trick when sticking fuselage doublers together, works a treat.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Thanks 1

Ron, it would seem likely she is making sure you are in good health -------

-----expect some household task to be mentioned like decorating or painting...........

Being serious.   Maybe glues like PVA and epoxy should be brought into the warmer area well before use.   Perhaps other items too.