HOUND DOG build

On 18/12/2022 at 08:40, GrumpyGnome said:

I too am allowed indoors.  With a major caveat - nothing smelly or messy. So......

• can't change fuel tank in my Valiant
  • can't fit engine to my Ruckus
  • can't put tissue on the laminating film covering of my SE5.

Hmm, nothing much left!

Try using eze dope for putting the tissue onto laminate, doesn’t smell, and is user friendly. 

• 1 month later...
Advert

This is my first low wing build, and I would appreciate a little help on the electrical fitting out.

The cockpit floor and cockpit itself mean all the fitting out must be done from below, I assume

A few pictures showing the ESC, RX and elevator / rudder servos would be much appreciated

Will this fly anything like the Spacewalker that I am currently enjoying practicing with on RF 9.5 ?

On a low wing model with the wing removed there is access to the servo area.   Servos can be reached easily to fit clevis to servo horn.   F2 has a slot which would enable the ESC lead to reach the Rx.  F4 also has a hole for wires.

On all my model I like to have a removeable hatch under the Lipo tray so the ESC lives there.    Hatch has slots cut in and a ply tab with a screw goes into u/c plate to secure.   In the Houndog there are spaces at side of Lipo tray which seems enough to allow the connectors to pass up towards the Lipo.

I look forward to seeing the pictures, thanks Peter. Looking forward even more to flying it!

I passed my 'A' test back in October 2022, and am beginning to get a little frustrated with my Discovery trainer.

The plan is to use Hound Dog to train up with a view to taking the 'B' test sometime in 2023 🤔

Thanks for that Peter - as I expected, the servos are mounted upside down - the plan shows them the other way up which didn't make sense to me!

I have installed the snakes using the laser cut guide holes and that strongly suggested that I mount the servos upside down and a little behind F4

Just like in your picture 🙂

On 24/12/2022 at 10:57, Steven Hurd said:

Try using eze dope for putting the tissue onto laminate, doesn’t smell, and is user friendly. 

I don't use much, and just found a can of smelly dope at the back of a cupboard so was using it up 🙂I can wait until the weather warms up.....

Managed other messy jibs whilst wife at work 😈

31 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Presumably you now fly it with all the 'aids' off?

It was bought without a receiver and although I fitted a FrSky S8R, I never used the gyro facilities whilst training.

I had high / medium / low rates set up, but my instructor was very keen that I should learn to fly 'properly',

and we only ever used high rates.

Since I passed the test, I have had a play with them, however!

Having seen several other people bin their Discoveries, I like having the option of an 'automatic level mode' switch.

Hi everybody
Hi Peter
I also started building a dog. I'm already quite advanced.

Yesterday he installed the servos according to the drawing and I found out that the snakes go completely differently.
Only today I found out on the forum that they should be installed the other way around. I have a topic to think about now.

I work in mm (so from Slovakia) and the front landing gear is made of 8SWG wire which according to: https://www.justfreetools.com/en/swg--to-mm-calculator the diameter of the wire is 4 mm. It's true? It seems too thick a wire to me.

My last topic is the dowel in the wing. What exactly is that? How is it mounted? Could I see a photo?

Well thank you
Josef

My houndDog.jpg

My servos.jpg

4mm  ( 8SWG ) piano wire is normal for this size model .   Note that SWG  Standard Wire Gauge is not the same as American Wire Gage AWG it's about 1 size different.   ( we spell it Gauge while the Americans say Gage )

Rib R1 has a slot to take the dowel and is reinforced either side by R2.   Dowel is glued into wing and slides into the hole in F3 to locate wing when assembling at the field.   Dowel is commonly birch or beech wood supplied in various sizes of round rod as used in carpentry joints etc.   Easy to buy in UK but no doubt any hardwood could be used,  could even be square section if the hole in F3 is reshaped.

It looks to me as if you will have to saw the servo bearers off - easier than removing the glue.   It seems it's the draughtsman's fault and not Peter's fault!

Edited by kc

Sorry.

I did check the plans before publication but never thought of looking at the servo location.  I NEVER would put them that way up under a cockpit floor.

Yes R-1 has slots in it when they are joined the slots make a hole to glue the dowel in. It works if you use plenty of glue.

As Kc says 8 SWG is 4.1 mm piano wire and even that can be bent in a heavy landing.    As Kc says,cut the servo bearers off and add new ones or you could just remove servos and glue extra wood on the open side of the bearers.

Sorry about all the hassle.  Hound dog was built in the lock down and my mind wasn't working too well...Still doesn't

Thanks for the answers!

The size of the wire for the landing gear is now completely clear to me.

I also understood the dowel in wing theme. We simply call it a wooden peg. It can be bought, but I also have a lathe, so I will make it.

I decided to turn the servos and replace the circular rod with a lever.
Access to the servers will be without problems.

Thanks everyone for your help

Jozef

The air scoops are just stuck on the outside of the cowl.  The holes are just scooped through the side of the cowl.  I use a bit of sharpened 1/2" brass tube myself but if you do not have that perhaps an  apple corer from the kitchen would work OK. Failing that drill holes and open them up with files.

Holes about 1/2" roughly round will be  fine.  

My holes are fairly crudely chopped out.  As you can see one scoop,the lower one has come off,DSCF5202.thumb.JPG.cafbd1c2ed9dbeaf0d986a55726e4934.JPGDSCF5203.thumb.JPG.53904d4e5ab68a9062d5775ace9cde6d.JPG