Any interest in Warbird replicas ju88 and bf110

Andy C

Advert

Whilst I haven’t yet flown the JU-88 (I’m dragging my heels on this one!) I can vouch for the fact that the 110 flies very well on just one engine. As I have separate channels for each engine ( asymmetric thrust for ground handling)I decided to experiment and switched one off mid flight, result was not as dramatic as I thought it would be. According to Richard, the single engine performance of the JU-88, with its big rudder, is even better.

After having problems with with twins in the past on i/c engines I thought I was safe with electric. I have had a few electric twins in the past starting with the Balsacraft Blenheim and have not suffered the dead engine problem until I built Richard's Ju88. It was fitted with 2 Racestar motors and after a lot of flying one decided to play up just after take off, it started pulsing from idle to half throttle, ditching would have meant landing in the rough and ripping the undercarriage out or worse so I carried on flying and done a full circuit and landed safely. Mine has the smaller bomber rudder but still flew very stable on one  good motor. 

• 1 month later...

On 06/08/2021 at 18:26,  RICHARD WILLS said: 

Walts . Ive just moved to Wiltshire so hands a bit tied on modelling front , but can still order back catalogue . The older kits are more foam veneered so in some respects better at the moment given the price and availability of balsa . 

I think that we may have to wait a while for any new designs from Richard!

• 3 weeks later...

What we really need is a beaufighter, big enough for a pair of laser 70/80s . I know there is the TN 72" electric one, could convert that to i/c, and then there was one that fsm did a write up on, 89 "  but that was a one off , and yes i'am into i/c. But we've been here before. Spoken to RW himself regarding this topic in the past.

So don't hold out much hope.

Thats my "pipe dream" ?