Radiomaster TX16; What receivers are you using?

Graham Davies 3

Afternoon all,

I have finally replaced my ageing FF9 with the latest TX16. I love it; it's easy to use, feels good and has so many useful features.

My question is; what receivers are current TX16 users using?

Please don't answer 'whatever you want, it's multi-protocol'. I know that; I'm interested in what decent, reasonably priced and available receivers you folks are actually using, and how you are getting on.

When I bought it, I bought a handful of the radiomaster receivers. Cheap as chips, but frankly, pony. I was warned by Hobby RC, but as stock was limited of everything else, I went with these. They appear marginal on range. I can get safe performance, but they are critical on antenna placement, and on one of my models, I can't get range I'm happy to fly with.

There are so many choices, it's hard to know where to start...

Thanks

Graham

I believe RM receivers are using FrSky protocol. As such they are using the CC2500 RF chip in the Tx module. The accuracy of the crystal in the Tx module is not as good as FrSky modules. It is possible that RM receivers also have lower accuracy crystals. Consequently, you do need to carry out the "Frequency Tuning" for each receiver. Have you done this?

I have several multiprotocol modules. On the same, FrSky receiver, I need values between -40 and +40 for the different modules.

Mike

FrSky - various types incl RX8RPro in petrol

Couple of RM168's - they seem fine but you can't seem to get them now

Spektrum DSM2

Spektrum DSMX

Couple of cheap indoor FrSky clones

Orange DSM2

Orange DSMX

Just got a 10 channel FlySky to try

Some generic Chinese tiny 2channel 'block' rx/esc/servos in a tiny indoor jobby

Futaba FASST in a small indoor heli.

My larger planes (10cc and above) all have FrSky.

No problems with any so far.

Some have required fine tuning (can't remember which), and I fine tuned each rx individually, rathe than have a value per protocol. 

The variety was partly choice, and partly because I came from the Spekky world so had a variety on hand.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

I have not transferred many of my models over to the TX16 yet. The one that has flown most is a second hand model that came on DSMX. My previous system was FlySky, cheap for telemetry of flight battery voltage. I have so far only transferred one of those models, and not flown it much. I have not yet worked out how to get the telemetry to come up correctly, but that is me. My flying buddy has several FlySky with telemetry on his TX16.

Thanks all, as always your input is much appreciated.

Mike, yes I have fine tuned. Again and again to get the most out of them! I have to be spot on with antenna positioning, or I get low rssi warnings. These are not 'pessimistic' reports, I checked the logs and was far too close to losing RF. I have to be sure there are no wires or metal near the antennae, or the range tests are too low for comfort. 

GG, thanks for the list. Are you sure about the FASST receiver? 

Graham

• 6 months later...

Following up on this thread and reading around trying to get a definitive answer. I bought a Radiomaster TX16S about a year ago, intending to replace the Frsky module in my Futaba FF9 transmitter, which is chiefly used for my gliders. I have a considerable number of Frsky V8-FRII and V4-FRII receivers which work perfectly well for the gliders they are installed in, since I'm not using telemetry.

I am on the verge of jumping into the Open TX world and moving those gliders to the Radiomaster TX16, before the season really kicks off. However, looking at various discussions online I'm becoming concerned about the transmitter's capability of using these older receivers. To start with a simple question - will they work?  Does anyone have practical experience of using them with the TX16S? I know that they aren't the latest thing, but at the moment they do the job with the module.

Leccy,

I use Jumper T16 rather than Radiomaster but it uses the same 4 in 1 MPM. My Jumper works perfectly well with my V8 receivers

My son uses Radiomaster Tx16 and that too works with the V8 receivers.

I can't answer about the V4 as I don't have any and I can't find any info.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dale Bradly said:

I had one very early frsky reciever that i couldnt get to respond to my tx16s. It would bind i recall, but no output. Pretty sure it was a V series, possibly a V4. No big loss. Every other frsky reciever ive had in then 15 years since works fine.

Aaaah, that's less good, especially since the V4-FRIIs are in lightweight gliders which I'd struggle to fit one of the many spare V8 FRIIs that I have into.

18 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

Aaaah, that's less good, especially since the V4-FRIIs are in lightweight gliders which I'd struggle to fit one of the many spare V8 FRIIs that I have into.

i replaced it with this so might give you an option. Available aliexpress and similar online sources

2-4G-4CH-D8-D16-Receiver-Compatible-with-PWM-Output-for-FRSKY-Futaba-Jumper-T16-X9D.jpg_Q90.jpg_.thumb.webp.76385a7bbd262415dad45c609ca82dd3.webp

• Thanks 1

I just checked binding to a very old FrSky V8R4 receiver from a TX16S, all worked correctly.

I do, however have some questions over the performance of the MPM (Multi Protocol Module). I've been testing FrSky receivers running UNI firmware. This has the advantage that they report VFR (how many of the last 100 packets were received OK), total missed packets and individual hopping channel performance.

With an X9LiteS running ACCESS in ACCST mode (V2LBT), and old external XJT module (V1FCC) and a QX7 with internal XJT module (V2LBT), VFR is 100% and total lost packets remains at 0. The receiver is a X8R.

With the RMTX16S internal module set to FrSKYX FCC and two other external MPM also set to FRSKYX FCC, bound to the same X8R, the total lost packets increases (some with CRC errors) and VFR drops to 98/99%. The individual hopping channels also show some are not working 100% of the time. Yes I have done the frequency tuning although for this test it is not really needed as the Rx auto tunes to the Tx at bind time.

It seems the MPM hardware has problems with some hopping frequencies.

As a further note on the general use of the MPM, there is no regulation of the modules unique ID, particularly compared to original manufacturers. This may lead to two transmitters having the same "unique" ID.

Also, not all protocols support "Model Match" (Receiver number) directly in the protocol. For those protocols the feature is simulated by modifying the "unique ID". This means one MPM may then be using the unique ID of another MPM.

Mike

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PatMc said:

Leccy, are you sure the V4-FRII designation is correct ? 

PS is it not D4R - II ?

Thanks Pat - I did have the designation incorrect- must have put it in my master spreadsheet wrong then cut and pasted, It should be V8R4-II for the 4 channel micro rxs, as pictured below, no telemetry. 

IMG_1220.jpg.2e0d102d9e41c78951e6f2577232bc1e.jpg

My most numerous Frsky receiver is the V8FR-II, of which I have a dozen, installed in gliders, plus a couple of spares below. I also have a couple of the D8R-II and a single unused X8R which do have telemetry.

IMG_1222.jpg.2d990f662e1d85f9e923f2474615a3c1.jpg

I use Spektrum DSM2 and DSMX; Orange DSM2 and DSMX; FrSky D8 and D16; FlySky 10ch rx; cheap ebay DSMX; cheap ebay D8; Futaba (can't remember the protocol but it's in an XK110 heli)... no issues with any.  But, don't have any of the FrSky rxs mentioned above.

Edited by GrumpyGnome