Next model post A - Electric

Chris Walby

Hi, Honest its not for me! 🤣

I have a trainee who is making good progress and clearly wishes to plan ahead with a conversation about what he would progress post passing his A. Now I normally recommend something mid/low wing with higher wing loading and more AUW (BH Speed Air), however this chap is clear he wants to progress with electric only and smallish warbirds at some point.

On the basis of his desire is to stick with electric, probably foam, not 3D and possibly scale like aerobatics, what's the collective's suggestions? Current available models only please.

PS clearly there are warbird models out there that don't fly like the larger balsa brothers and that should be a reason for not having one as at this time he has no inclination to head in that direction (happy to be an electric park flyer).

Now I am of the opinion, that, post A, post trainer, a trainee has a hot flush.

Loops, rolls, spins. And some breakages.

So not too much money, time invested, where debris yields useable bits. Perhaps a bit of straight advice, normal is broken stuff until you learn better.

Long term stayers build what they accept can break, and not destroy mojo.

How about the flite test stuff. Bit small?

Same stuff there has to be a bigger foam skin model out there as a plan. Not my game, but, cheap, decorate as desired, flies nicely, learn.

45 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

Now I am of the opinion, that, post A, post trainer, a trainee has a hot flush.

Loops, rolls, spins. And some breakages.

So not too much money, time invested, where debris yields useable bits. Perhaps a bit of straight advice, normal is broken stuff until you learn better.

Long term stayers build what they accept can break, and not destroy mojo.

How about the flite test stuff. Bit small?

Same stuff there has to be a bigger foam skin model out there as a plan. Not my game, but, cheap, decorate as desired, flies nicely, learn.

I agree and the FT stuff is an option as it uses 3S2200 or the Boohoo if it flies as well as the Woohoo + is low cost, but won't teach you much about the benefits of rudder!

I was thinking more ARTF foam....Sorry but the days of balsa bashing is not compulsory IMHO 

I passed my 'A' with a Precedent Funfly with a ST34 and it was quite capable of any aerobatics I would have been (or, to be honest, am!) capable of.  I built it myself and I think the current models can be built for electric power - and they're not a difficult build.  I flew that as I built my next model - the sadly out of production Flair SE5a - which I still have.

Every Arrows plane I have seen has flown really well, including their warbirds and aerobats.

It's really difficult to offer advice without knowing what he has now tbh.  After all, an 'A' is just a very basic test of competence and there is still a world of learning to do.  If he has, for example, a Riot or Wot4, dial up the rates and he'll be able to do his 'B'...... and the world is his oyster - warbirds (T28 is great choice), EDF, aerobats.  If he has a slow, floaty, old timer, then he'll most likely need something else before a warbird or Edge/Extra.........

He has RIOT at this time and I am firm believer of gaining experience through flying different model and while "dogs" are a very steep learning curve and great experience its normally very short lived.

Sorry, floaty old timers don't cut it as the flying site is on the top of a hill and we get very few decent days that would justify the expense. Technology is not an issue so something with AS3X is an option.

T28 (but its tricycle) is looking a good option or something out of the Arrows range as I get the impression, he's not interested in balsa bashing or IC. WOT 4 or Couger 2000 are options (starting on low rates), but are not warbirds so could be off the list. I think something out of the Parkzone range would fit the bill, but unfortunately not available anymore, hence asking for alternatives.

Might suggest Boohoo or FT Bloody Baron for cheap fly it when you don't want to risk anything else and a T28 or some other well sorted tail dragger. I know there are mods to beef up the T28 UC, but I have seen so many fail on T28's even by experienced pilots it puts me off.

Thanks, and if anyone thinks of anything else, please chip in.

I am sure there are lots and lots of potential good foamies out there but why not the Rukus, as it appears to have a lots of parts common to the Riot and allows a 3S to 4S upgrade for added speed and manouverability.  From what I have seen it is not an out and out acrodatic model, but it can do most things and in an easily repairable format, should the inevitable happen.

One of our club's recent learners got his "A" with a foam Wot4, then did a little flying with a Ruckus, then successfully flew an E-Flite Corsair. The latter was test flown by an experienced club member, then a couple of weeks later I watched over our newbie as he soloed on the Corsair. He was a bit nervous,  and confined himself to circuits, but took off and landed without drama. I think it has AS3X, but as it was flat calm that wouldn't have mattered. Not sure if it also had SAFE, but that certainly wasn't used. Looks like a good first warbird, as all Corsairs seem to be.

• 2 weeks later...

Well to conclude this thread the chap passed his A and bought himself a Eflite P51 (smaller of the two) with AS3X and Safe (don't use it but its there just in case). Okay its a warbird, but not really after Eflite finished with it. I did the maiden, totally uneventful apart its ability to leap off the ground and its unnecessary flaps as it flies at near walking pace without. I have warned him it flies nothing like bigger balsa warbirds, but as he has no interest in that area it should not be an issue.

So pre-flight with his foam P51 he got a flight with the Eurobat (Laser FT200) to demonstrate a model with more mass on the buddy lead and even seemed to like that!

Take off and flying about with the P51 all ok and just needs to tidy up on landing approaches, nice to see a natural at work!