Seagull Seafire artf

SiBee

No pictures as I am ashamed to say that for once I am not painting the decoration on it 🤐 anyway the cockpit isn't the right one, not forgetting it isn't very scale.,,,

On second thoughts,,,

Stick the SX336 on the bottom of the wing before the roundels and the 'Royal Navy and 105 ones also before the roundels, or you will end up like me a bit squeezed up.

Not the original pilot, and a perfectly balanced APC 14x 8 for the Saito.

stickers.jpg

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon
second thoughts.

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Dont go too mad. Most carrier aircraft had gloss paintwork as it was easier to wash the salt off them. 

I went to Fighteraces for the paint for my Seafury and asked Phil for matt, he told me to use the satin as the carrier aircraft were not matt.

As the Seafury's were post war I am not sure that the Seafire's would be gloss. A few months operating from a carrier would take the shine off them.

All thrown together the cowling is now touching the cone for some morbid reason so a 3mm aluminium spacer was made up, balance point 12.5mm,,

I will be running the engine in the garden with an APC 14 x 8 prop as I don't want to fiddle with it on the model field in front of my admirers,,🤣

as they expect me to give it a flick or two and take off with my usual big-headedness,,,🥳

topright 1.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

• Like 3

I roughly worked out that my 12cm back balance point came to 'around' 35% of the cord, so I am going with the 10 cm

on the plan it is 9cm and I read 'somewhere that it was 11cm, and with loads of lead at J Perkins they announce 4 kilos,  maybe the Fairies believe them but not me, so tomorrow "Lead"  and 250 grams of fuel in the tank with some engine running for the neighbours,,,

It should be black, maybe I will change it later on.

Taped and elastics holding the piece of triangular balsa on the balance point, a couple of buckets no 100€ balancer for me 🤣

a tape measure ( 160 grams ) to compensate for half a tank of fuel and 310 grams of lead to get it right, announced weight 4 kilos, but nearer the 5 kilos,,

b point.jpg

balancing.jpg

Well that was an anti climax, a couple of clicks here and there for the trim, it is slightly nose heavy but really fly's well so other than reducing the servo throws not much to say except a real Helicopter landed on the model field, and did a couple of low passes after taking off.

It's in the background spinning up,,1264347224_Seafirefirstflight.thumb.jpg.28edc0874f2e30bf2f205fbd7316e54d.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

My Saito 100 has been throwing props when starting and even warm translating from a fast idle to about 5.000 rpm,

I shimmed the cylinder with 0.3mm aluminium printing plate, it did the job,  2 tanks and both times dead stick landings as I was having so much fun, I also plugged in the second electric retract to canal 7 with a '20' servo delay mixed with canal 5 to make them retract like a real plane.