Battery connector

tiny-james

Anyone on here want two free XT60 to Deans connectors? Direct from the battery manafacturer (Fullymax) so should be good but as I use neither no good to me.

Just PM me your address and I'll send them for free, I put four in the bin last week and these will join them if no one else wants them, post on here if you send a PM (to avoid multiple requests). 

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
Advert

Having defended Deans in an earlier post in this thread, I'm about to change some of my packs to XT60s.  A couple of my models use 6S or 4S packs in parallel, and with Deans connectors that means that before the second pack is connected the plug that it's going to be connected to is live from the first pack.  A couple of months ago, while disconnecting parallel packs in a hurry because the model had crashed, my wedding ring brushed against the live Deans pins after I'd disconnected the first pack 😵  The result was two burn marks in my ring and a burn on my finger.

In checking out XT60 vendors though I've noticed that XT60s are only rated for 30A continuous whereas Deans Ultra seem to be rated for 60A continuous (3rd-party claims, not the manufacturer).  I might have to go for XT90s (45A continuous).

• Like 1

Having been involved in electrical apparatus all my life is the reason I never wear rings or metal watch straps.  On the first computer I worked on back in the 1960s low voltage, high current power supplies to the 19" racks were supplied on naked bus bars along the top. One guy burnt his arm and shirt sleeve when he leant on a rack wearing those expanded metal straps that used to be used to adjust sleeves to the correct length. Another guy, wearing a ring on each hand was badly burnt when he shorted out the DC power.  They were only 6v or 12v but quite capable of delivering 20 amps before tripping.  Neither guy realised what was happening until his metal jewellery got hot!

As a teen I often had my hands in the depths of live valve driven TVs which could give a nasty shock.

31 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

Having defended Deans in an earlier post in this thread, I'm about to change some of my packs to XT60s.  A couple of my models use 6S or 4S packs in parallel, and with Deans connectors that means that before the second pack is connected the plug that it's going to be connected to is live from the first pack.  A couple of months ago, while disconnecting parallel packs in a hurry because the model had crashed, my wedding ring brushed against the live Deans pins after I'd disconnected the first pack 😵  The result was two burn marks in my ring and a burn on my finger.

In checking out XT60 vendors though I've noticed that XT60s are only rated for 30A continuous whereas Deans Ultra seem to be rated for 60A continuous (3rd-party claims, not the manufacturer).  I might have to go for XT90s (45A continuous).

Hi Alan, 

Can you quote or link as to where you get your 30A data from please? Looking on the web all I seem to find is 60A quoted 

image.png.7a98b4b907659f945c736ce3cff73990.png

image.thumb.png.060279088f8715ad9a5dab4415f75c26.png

This seem quite interesting?

Connector_Tests.pdf (strykeforce.org)

I have run XT 60's up to 60A near continuously for 4 minutes and XT90 at 120A for the same time. The lipo after 4 minutes was nearly too hot to hold (placed in a safe place to cool down!) and the connectors were not even warm.

My concern with Deans is that I have found the odd one to be loose and if it was to part it would be the end of the model, never had a loose XT60 or XT90.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

As noted above by other posters, XT60s are fine for 60A continuous - there is actually a lot more contact area in those bullets than on the blades of a Deans connector. They may be a touch harder to separate, but thats a good point in my book, and they are way certainly easier to solder well.

• Like 1

Chris, my figure of 30A continuous is from Overlander's data.  Either they're being far too conservative, or it's a typo, or their XT60s are different from other brands' XT60s.  So that leads me to the next question; is there a specific manufacturer of the original XT60s, like Deans for the Ultra?

The tests linked at the bottom of your post are interesting, except they don't show Deans Ultra for comparison 😒  I note that they are specific about what brand of XT60 they've used in the tests.

MattyB, I don't doubt what you say, but I can only go by published data regarding amps capability.

Bruce, yes I've seen the anti-spark XT90s at Overlander (the only site I've looked at so far) and Overlander rate them at only 40A continuous, compared with 45A for their regular XT90s 😒

13 minutes ago, Allan Bennett said:

Chris, my figure of 30A continuous is from Overlander's data.  Either they're being far too conservative, or it's a typo, or their XT60s are different from other brands' XT60s.  So that leads me to the next question; is there a specific manufacturer of the original XT60s, like Deans for the Ultra?

The XT series of connectors are made by Amass Electronics in Changzhou, China (of course!) as I understand it. I have had cheap copies before, which were a slightly different colour and didn’t fit as well as the original Amass ones.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Allan Bennett said:

The tests linked at the bottom of your post are interesting, except they don't show Deans Ultra for comparison 😒  I note that they are specific about what brand of XT60 they've used in the tests.

MattyB, I don't doubt what you say, but I can only go by published data regarding amps capability.

Bruce, yes I've seen the anti-spark XT90s at Overlander (the only site I've looked at so far) and Overlander rate them at only 40A continuous, compared with 45A for their regular XT90s 😒