Field charger

tiny-james

Morning all

So, I have found a car battery in my garage so I can now charge my lippo batteries on site/airfield. But the bad news is the IMAX b6 ac/dc charger I inherited from my son has no cable to connect to a car battery so I thought I would buy a second charger as I can't find a replacement cable.

second hand would be nice but what charger is good for this purpose.

Advert

I reckon that that little DC connector is a design error on that charger. At the size of them they surely are for just a couple of amps.  I have used a B6 (clone) for field charging for years usually on 3s lipos at 3 amps.  I melted that connector one day charging a 4s at 5 amps. I then realised to do this that poor little plug would be carrying about 10 A. I have chucked out that connector and hard wired it to a fused lead

True Gangster, I have modified quite a few of this style charger by removing the DC socket completely and hardwiring the 12V leads directly to the circuit board.  Biggest issue is adding a cable grip to prevent the wires being pulled off.  Will try to post a picture of a converted one later.

Barry

• Like 1

Those barrel connectors come in a range of different internal diameters and also vary in length. The quality of the connection depends critically on whether you've got exactly the right plug for the socket. Of course, if you're using the one that came with the charger, that shouldn't be a problem.

Some valid comments and not one I'd thought about before, but for info if you are looking for a charger for field use then some now come with better connectors, my Overlander DC100 has an XT60 for external power (plus it can be used as a low power 12v power supply when the charger is on mains supply). Not had any problems charging 6s batteries at 3amps.

I have couple of Imax 6 chargers and have never had a problem with the input socket overheating although I mostly charge 4s packs but have always used the lead/plug that came with unit.

One thing I have done though is to fit a Shockty diode in the lead as being distracted some while back I connected it to a battery just for fraction of a second and the  "magic smoke" came out . The Imax 6 is protected against wrong polarity on the output so why not on the input?