Football World Cup 2022.....Mens.

john stones 1 - Moderator

Well, we obviously saw different replays.  The pundits certainly thought it was a penalty as well.

Are you saying that France played to the standard required for 80 mins of the game? They didn't and Mbappe only came to life after scoring the penalty.  The French penalty in ET was also a soft one as the guy made no attempt to widen his arms - it was a clesr case of ball strikes elbow.  The ref had a great gsme so I accepted his decision.  The ref also yellow carded the Argie GK for throwing away the ball.  The ex pro footballers thought this was a good tactic - I didn't.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Well, we obviously saw different replays.  The pundits certainly thought it was a penalty as well.

Are you saying that France played to the standard required for 80 mins of the game? They didn't and Mbappe only came to life after scoring the penalty.  The French penalty in ET was also a soft one as the guy made no attempt to widen his arms - it was a clesr case of ball strikes elbow.  The ref had a great gsme so I accepted his decision.  The ref also yellow carded the Argie GK for throwing away the ball.  The ex pro footballers thought this was a good tactic - I didn't.

A football match conventionally lasts 90 minutes -it makes no odds when you turn up, it's the score at the end that matters. The substitutions in the second half changed the game. Argentina took their best player on the day, De Maria, who had been MOTM up to then, off and France bought on a couple of youngsters who started to win the ball. Their goal came from the young lad not giving Messi the over-respect that some of his colleagues were giving him, winning the ball fairly from him and putting in a great counter attack.

The French penalty was a clear block with the defender's elbow stuck out to block the shot.

Martinez wasn't carded for initially throwing the ball away - he was carded on the next penalty, when he attempted to claim the ball again  before that kick. It was too late by then, his mind games had already had the desired effect.

Wonderful game of football.  Best team won in the end - they should not have needed ET or penalties though.  At 2-0 up, they just completely changed their play.  

Re penalties, it's pretty simple nowadays - if you get touched in the box fall down!  Good to see the French player who dived in the box booked.  Personally didn't agree with the second French penalty - it's ridiculous to expect players to jump with their arms at their sides.

First game I've seen where VAR wasn't intrusive - well done the officials!

Well done Messi; Mbappe's time will come again.