Broken emoji functionality?

MattyB

I've noticed in the last few weeks something weird is going on with emojis in this forum - they don't seem to be displaying properly either at the moment they are being selected, or in the post itself. They often have a "broken pic" symbol in front of them, and on some browsers (like Safari) are not displayed at all. I've tested on Edge, Chrome and Safari, and all are experiencing issues. Will try and post some examples now...

😃🤣🥵🙄, which on my screen look like this in the post editor: image.png.6b174b5e6235f1abe169b29df8915a3b.png

Selection window (Chrome on PC):

image.png.5191b9d49097b2dff3ae311d76059beb.png

Selection window (Safari on iPhone):

BE07F2FD-F131-4A39-940C-EB51A091912D.jpeg

Edited by MattyB

There are definitely subtle variations between browsers - here’s what the post above post looks like when viewed on my iPhone, note the 4 blank boxes where I first added emojis…

E05A8B2D-56D2-40F9-8CC0-34D77739306A.thumb.png.61ba703e1e6552e97a3ddc7f30f9bf50.png

Should get the site techies scratching their heads I should think!

Edited by MattyB

I’ve noticed I get the blue box and question mark instead of emojis (or whatsoever the spelling) on this iPad. Recent but not too bothered, as I can’t be bothered finding out what they mean. But curiosity slightly stirred, and looked on this site using an iPhone. Emojis are displayed. So that has to be a Chrome issue on this iPad.

18 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

I’ve noticed I get the blue box and question mark instead of emojis (or whatsoever the spelling) on this iPad. Recent but not too bothered, as I can’t be bothered finding out what they mean. But curiosity slightly stirred, and looked on this site using an iPhone. Emojis are displayed. So that has to be a Chrome issue on this iPad.

On most browsers I have used I'm getting either just the blue box, or the blue box and the emoji alongside. Are you saying it displays correctly (i.e. just the emoji on it's own) in your iPhone browser? If yes, which one are you using?

Edited by MattyB

1 hour ago, MattyB said:

On most browsers I have used I'm getting either just the blue box, or the blue box and the emoji alongside. Are you saying it displays correctly (i.e. just the emoji on it's own) in your iPhone browser? If yes, which one are you using?

iPad, gen 7, Chrome, blue box? only.

iphone, gen 10, Chrome, emoji only.

Both are connecting via the same WiFi box/system.

That says to me, it’s a artifact of the version/setup of the Chrome on this Ipad

What gets me with these things, is they look like a bit of fun, and they actually have subtle sub-meanings. I have been doing a bit of coaching to a young lady, winger, on the dark arts of tackle prevention. (See current furore re tackle hight).

And she takes the Michael at my other worldliness. In fairness, happy that the wing forward was left groaning.