Covering a Ben Buckle Super 60

I am close to finishing a Ben Buckle Super 60 I started many years ago, having retrieved it half-built from the loft. I was minded to cover it with a heat shrink fabric, presumably Oratex now Solartex is now more, based on the assumption that Solarfilm type covering wouldn’t impart very much strength.

However, I’ve no experience at using a polyester covering and just wondered if this would be strong enough ? Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Apart from anything else, Oratex isn’t cheap !

Many thanks

Andy, the films will be plenty strong enough.
This design, was originally covered in nylon or silk, fabrics. Therefore some will say it must continue. Others will say it will look right nice flying, and I point out, in the air, it will all look the same. 
It’s your shout. But neither will make much difference. If pushed, films are lighter. Therefore it will fly a bit better, light is a better flyer. 

If you fancy a traditional finish you could always try tissue over doculam. It's more time consuming but more authentic and much more puncture-proof than tissue alone! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSi81sbQQK4&list=PLGILJsUw3dvRJK4ZPFPZVJ6cD3MyzVbcn&index=2

I was impressed by the Toughlon film I bought from Steve Webb to cover my Sky Rider.

Sky Rider complete (1).JPG

Sky Rider complete (2).JPG

• Like 2

Andy H

Similar construction as Super 60.

This is  the Vic Smeed   Gamine, small one is as per plan and the Jolly Green Giant Gamine scaled up to 60" span.

Both covered with transparent Pro film ( built in 2012 ),no problems at all regarding Strength.

Jim

IMG_0012 - Copy.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2023 at 15:03, Andy-H said:

Thanks all. I’m rather taken with the transparent orange look, so will inspect my assembly work to see if it’s good enough to show off !

I once did a Panic Bipe. Transparent Doculam covering. I was tidying the build, and something went wrong, I cut my hand, didn’t realise it was bleeding, and found out when I saw blood on the workbench. Wiped worst off the airframe, top wing from half span to root, fusalage centre area. Let it dry, and got on with it. Nobody said anything. So don’t worry.