First taste of the sky

toto

Well,

Everything looking good for tomorrow. The target is 5 flights with some serious focus on set pieces .... circuits,  take off's, landing approaches and maybe some low level passes if I'm good enough to aid towards the landing approaches.

We'll see ..... fingers crossed.

Toto

• Like 2

Advert

4 minutes ago, toto said:

Well,

Everything looking good for tomorrow. The target is 5 flights with some serious focus on set pieces .... circuits,  take off's, landing approaches and maybe some low level passes if I'm good enough to aid towards the landing approaches.

We'll see ..... fingers crossed.

Toto

Toto, taking a famous quote from a children's television programme I grew up watching as a child in the late 1960s and early 1970s.   FAB Virgil.  THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO.  International Rescue are on their way.  

Toto, see if you can get someone to maiden your Easyglider for you and trim it out off the flat field. Do that and you will be ready to take it to the slope whenever the opportunity arises (Sept and Oct can often bring good sloping weather before the nasty stuff really gets started).

• Like 1

OK ......... This weekends report 

I don't know where to start really.

Saturday ...... got to the flying field all ready to go ...... paired up the transmitters ............... and nothing ........ it would not let us pair them together. Eventually .... we got there for one complete flight and 3 aborted " dead stick " flights. There seemed to be a bit of an intermittent problem with the adjoining lead. thankfully I had a spare connection for this. 

However ..... before getting to that stage ..... the nx8 gave up the ghost all together ......... see the below ,

P1110565.thumb.JPG.e479ed3f4e00b0f4c75894366b5ee077.JPG

all you get blazing from the TX is " no student signal " ..... you cannot get this screen to go away ...... permanently stuck on this.

You shut the tx down ..... start it back up ...... a very brief ( second ) where the normal start up screen appears ( if that ) and then it reverts back to the above. 

I think my NX8 is Kaput.

This might not be an issue if I could remember where I bought it ... but still looking for proof of that.

We have managed to pair my mentors old DX6i up to my NX6 .... but the NX8 is firmly on strike.  

What a disaster ..... totally brassed off.

toto 

P1110565.JPG

Hi Colin ...... worked a treat.

It gives me my start up screen again and lets me flick through the menu's. I will try and see if it pairs back up with the Arising Star shortly as a " one on one" setup ..... without buddying.

Many thanks for the idea.

toto

• Like 1

Hi Colin 

The NX8 has successfully been re-bound to my Arising Star so at least the transmitter is not totalled. thats a good start.

Just need me to be able to pair to the NX6 and the job is a done deal.

the tethering cable plugs don't look the best. they comprise of a lead with " headphone type jacks " at either end and they plug into little white mini plugs that go into the back of each the transmitter. they look a bit vunerable. It could be them that are the issue. A bit more investigation to be done but happy with the above this far.

toto 

28 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Colin,

Am I correct in saying that I need to do that over an internet connection in order to get the bluetooth to do its bit ?

Toto

No internet or Bluetooth required, all required connectivity is built in to the transmitters.

Read manuals ....... job done ..... took 5 minutes once I had my head around it. 

I'll watch the above video anyway but basically as easy as the very short explanation in the manual. There is a specific bind menu under training for this mode as opposed to using the second ( general ) bind mode which is used for receivers. 

I think all is sorted.

I've put it down for now but shall do a second check tomorrow again to see the configuration settings have actually saved properly.

Thanks to all.

Toto 

• Like 2

So 

There was no flying today ..... not because of the issue above for binding the instructor / student transmitters but due to wind. I could see as I approached the field that the neighbouring wind turbines were in overdrive. 

If it was not for the wind flying would have been possible due to having a spare Spektrum DX6i transmitter which appeared to bind to my NX6. That is no longer required now thanks to perseverance with sorting the NX8 out. ( again ... thanks to Colin's suggestion re ... removal of the memory card ). That started the whole ball running again.

The existence of two bind modes .... one for binding to the receivers, and one for binding transmitters for training did not help at all. In saying that though.... it was simply through reading the instructions rather than just looking at them that made the penny drop.

Hopefully that's one drama overcome and put to bed. ..... now ...... on to the next one.,

We'll have to wait until next weekend for that though ..... weather permitting ....... what a rollercoaster this has turned out to be.

Toto

Well done Toto.  You've just discovered RTFM does have its uses!  However, not all Tx manuals are as easy to understand.  I have had a number of programming problems resolved by asking on forums how you do certain things.  Thankfully, I always got advice from a chap who used to try out his suggestions before telling me what to do!  He is, in my book, an absolute star!

• Like 1

It was maybe just time for the " manual speak " to sink into my head. I have come across the two " bind " facilities before and always just worked with the Bind selection in the general section which is for receivers. 

After reading the instruction .... again .... I do actually read them, something just clicked in my head to look at the " bind " under the trainer menu. 

It's maybe ok once you have been through the manual 9n several occasions..... that's when ... through experience .....

Bit by bit ...... you finally start to find your way around.

Give it another couple of years .... I'll be an expert...... just in time for a new range of transmitters to be released. ....Isn't that always the way . :classic_laugh:

Toto

2 hours ago, PDB said:

No internet or Bluetooth required, all required connectivity is built in to the transmitters.

It’s a Bluetooth connection over the ether. Just keep the boss transmitter within 30 meters or so. 

bluetooth is a short range radio communication system. Nowt to do with internet.

Edited by Don Fry
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Don Fry said:

It’s a Bluetooth connection over the ether. Just keep the boss transmitter within 30 meters or so. 

bluetooth is a short range radio communication system. Nowt to do with internet.

I didn't think it was bluetooth..... thought they used bluetooth for programming, apps, speakers etc. etc.  Certainly wireless trainer was around long before they put bluetooth on their transmitters.

Anyway, any pupil with a tranny that was more than 2 metres away, would be gently cajoled to come closer!

• Like 1