First taste of the sky

toto

Advert

Hi Paul,

Fingers crossed, I'd be delighted if that were the case. 

When I get back it's full focus and with a bit of luck, the weather gods will be on my side as that seems to be the biggest determining factor in this hobby. Coming back start of July...... I must be in with a shout.:classic_biggrin: ...... surely.

Toto

Toto, the Gens Ace batteries are really good.  I've been using them for a good while now and I would recommend them.  Good luck on your holiday to Cyprus and safe journey there and back.  Yes the big Trojan flew well.  Last night I was down at the club again,  this time I was flying the Tiger aerobatic plane with two stroke engine.   I want to take advantage of this great weather we are having.   Happy holidays.   

20230614_214441.jpg

The picture says it all really.

A nice calm looking night and another nice looking model.

I'm just wondering if my easyjet pilot will have a buddy box waiting for me ..... erm .... possibly not or there will be a lot of very nervous passengers .... and cancellations. :classic_biggrin:

Keep enjoying the weather and get the complete inhabitants of your hanger out to stretch their legs whilst you can.

Cheers for now.

Toto

Forgot to mention Aidan, there is an 1800mm wingspan version of the Same model available. This looks like a good step in the right direction for a first low wing trainer although its capabilities should not be restricted to that of a trainer as from some of the reviews and videos etc, it's a very capable model..... looks great as well.

Toto

On 15/06/2023 at 17:52, toto said:

Forgot to mention Aidan, there is an 1800mm wingspan version of the Same model available. This looks like a good step in the right direction for a first low wing trainer although its capabilities should not be restricted to that of a trainer as from some of the reviews and videos etc, it's a very capable model..... looks great as well.

Toto

Yes Toto, that plane you are talking about is the Tiger 60.  I was thinking about getting it also as I have a spare ASP 91 fourstroke and if it flys half as good as its younger brother then its a good plane.  I know as I'm typing this message its going on towards 7pm here in the UK and I'm sure you have arrived by now at your holiday destination.   I hope all goes well for you and that you enjoy it.  I was just wondering if the pilot shared the flight with you?    Before I sign off, i was down at the flying field last night with another one of my planes that hasn't been flown for a while.   A Piper Cherokee 40 with a fourstroke engine.   It flew well considering its been a while.  

20230615_214012.jpg

Hi Aidan,

As you would expect ..... the easyjet pilot had a few issues ..... a little bit too much of this and a little bit too much of that, but I was determined that I was not going to correct the errors of his ways .... after all he needs to learn somehow. :classic_biggrin:

By the way .... you are a bugger. ....... you keep throwing up these very tempting models ... and I need to refrain.

I have blown out on an arising star and on an  hangar 9 valiant .... cut these teasers out as I am slowly bankrupting myself and no where nearly flying solo yet. :classic_biggrin:

The Cherokee looks another one to add to the list.

I'll look forward to some first hand demo notes and hopefully a nice video.

Keep then coming good Sir.... you have excellent taste.

Tom

Edited by toto

Thanks grumpy gnome.

It's the 10cc version that I have winging it's way to me. It's on hold for Mr until I return from holiday so I'm in for the delivery. It's an RCGF petrol stinger 10cc that's going into it.

Again , this is one for later on. It'll sot in the box for now. I just wanted to get one whilst they became available. They just came into stock again on Thursday a d I think there is a bit of demand for them.

Sitting by the pool with a coffee at the moment ........ ahhhhhh......... not a care in the world.

Toto

34 minutes ago, toto said:

Thanks grumpy gnome.

It's the 10cc version that I have winging it's way to me. It's on hold for Mr until I return from holiday so I'm in for the delivery. It's an RCGF petrol stinger 10cc that's going into it.

Again , this is one for later on. It'll sot in the box for now. I just wanted to get one whilst they became available. They just came into stock again on Thursday a d I think there is a bit of demand for them.

Sitting by the pool with a coffee at the moment ........ ahhhhhh......... not a care in the world.

Toto

Looks good:

Hi Paul,

It does look good. Nice size as well for my peepers. The stinger engine has a rear facing exhaust port so should be less visible which is even better still. 

Pretty clear blue skies here today ...... perfect flying weather ...... but no kit. :classic_sad: .... I'll just need to indulge in a beer then. ..... someones got to do it. I hope the UK weather is holding out for you guys. .... feel free to wind me up with a few nice pictures of you kit being put through its paces.

Happy flying.

Toto

• 2 weeks later...

Well .....

Home this Saturday coming. Actually 1.30am Sunday morning. Dont know if I will get to the field on Sunday. Meant to be going for a lunch with my son and his girlfriend. Worst case scenario, I may get time in the shed on Sunday late afternoon or evening to tackle the repair on the Beavers elevator.

Hopefully I wont find myself back to square one as far as the flying goes as I was making some decent progress prior to coming on holiday. Time will tell.

Oh well ...... back to the sun.

Toto

Hope you had a good holiday Toto and enjoyed it.  Holidays always go in very quickly I think.  I'm sure your glad to get home though.  I was out flying my Escapade during the week.  Still going strong 13 years down the line.  You will get back to your flying now and carry on where you left off.   

20230628_211700.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Aidan,

It was a good two weeks but glad to be back out of the heat again. I can only take so much.

Another nice model. They all seem to look in pristine condition. You must have a good relationship with the ground and your wheels. :classic_biggrin:

Delighted to be back and get going again and thanks for the welcome.

Toto

On 26/06/2023 at 21:59, toto said:

Well .....

Home this Saturday coming. Actually 1.30am Sunday morning. Dont know if I will get to the field on Sunday. Meant to be going for a lunch with my son and his girlfriend. Worst case scenario, I may get time in the shed on Sunday late afternoon or evening to tackle the repair on the Beavers elevator.

Hopefully I wont find myself back to square one as far as the flying goes as I was making some decent progress prior to coming on holiday. Time will tell.

Oh well ...... back to the sun.

Toto

You won't find yourself back at square one. I know that from experience as a learner myself, also there have been studies showing there are plateaus to muscle memory skills (they were done on touch-typing, but we need muscle memory to fly) that show a lay-off is more beneficial than constant training.

Hi Paul,

I can believe that but I think that would kick in when you reach a kind of saturation point. I've barely started. :classic_biggrin:

It's a very good point though which could promote training towards certain achievements prior to taking a short break, revitalising .... then carrying on with a fresh task.

Time will tell .... hopefully this weekend coming when I get behind the sticks again. I'm not overly worried.

Watch this space .... :classic_biggrin:

Actually, it's not "muscle memory" in my humble opinion.  It is more your brain thinking ahead of the aeroplane.  It is getting your uncoscious memory to take over.  When the conscious and unconscios clash is when you get the problem.  The conscious should be freed up by the unconscious to assess what your next action unconscious needs to perform.  That's how you get ahead of the aeroplane.

I was flying in an aerobatic competition today at a new site.  Some club members had turned up to watch.  None of them would have flown in those wind conditions they said.  I was explaining to one what each manoeuvre was and said what would happen before it did.  As a result he got it and started to see where things were going wrong for a couple of flights.  However, he found the concentration required just to take in what was happening in each manoeuvre was quite tiring.  That's what practice is for of course but it's only valuable when you practise the right thing!

By the way, Paul's point about touch typing is a case in point.  I learned the typewriter keyboard when I was 9 as my Mum wanted to keep me gainfully occupied while she did something else.  Many years later, the keyboard and which fingers worked which key was still in my subconscious.  Everything would work until the conscious intervened, as it suddenly decided to from time to time and that's when I started making mistakes.  It is quite an interesting battle between the conscious and sub-conscious!

Edited by Peter Jenkins
  • Like 2

I was flying a trainer with an "advanced beginner" on the buddy box a few weeks ago when he suddenly lost control of the aircraft. I re-took control, steadied the model and handed him back control with the model flying into wind with level wings. He said, "How do you know what to do if the model goes out of control?"

I'm not sure I know the answer to that question!

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

. . . He said, "How do you know what to do if the model goes out of control?"

I'm not sure I know the answer to that question!

My advice would be: Take your hands off the sticks and watch the model very carefully. Only return to the sticks when you are absolutely sure which way the model is pointed and what correction is needed. Then apply the correction - gradually!