Lasers at retail

Bruce Collinson

23 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Are German numbers different ?.

They should be the way they up the prices of their cars when sold to the UK. Because of our " must have the latest model" approach they call the UK  Treasure Island .

Well done Laser , let the rest of the world pay for proper engineering .

• Like 1

In the interest of science (partly because my wife has a Passat) I asked google...

"how much does an M3 Touring cost in..." (you can't buy a new Passat any more)

UK 

M3 Touring will start from £88,550

Germany

Based on the M3 Competition M xDrive four-door sedan, the M3 Touring is priced at €97,800 in Germany.22 Jun 2022

£1 = 0.88 Euro.

97800 Euro * 0.88 = £86064

Seems about the same. Quite pricey though.

Something cheaper. An entry level golf comfortline 1.5 tsi, this list prices are £23300 vs E24350.

I am aware that car pricing used to be very different many moons ago but that no longer seems to be the case?

41 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

In the interest of science (partly because my wife has a Passat) I asked google...

"how much does an M3 Touring cost in..." (you can't buy a new Passat any more)

UK 

Germany

£1 = 0.88 Euro.

97800 Euro * 0.88 = £86064

Seems about the same. Quite pricey though.

Something cheaper. An entry level golf comfortline 1.5 tsi, this list prices are £23300 vs E24350.

I am aware that car pricing used to be very different many moons ago but that no longer seems to be the case?

I would think that the German spec will be for a fully loaded example and UK price will be a basic unit Add on all the extra spec and it will be well  Over the German price . Of course i could be wrong ?

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

we have never had to deal with trade pricing before so it all has to be worked out. For some reason, this takes many years. 

I am out of the loop on this one as i am not allowed to know about the money. 

You know about any competitors products so why are you not included in developing a pricing policy . In a real world environment you woukd think that any input from someone who  knows the product and its copetitors products woukd be welcone around the table. You obviously have the wrong coloured collar Jon.

2 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

we have never had to deal with trade pricing before so it all has to be worked out. For some reason, this takes many years. 

I am out of the loop on this one as i am not allowed to know about the money. 

I didn't know you were married.

🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

I would think that the German spec will be for a fully loaded example and UK price will be a basic unit Add on all the extra spec and it will be well  Over the German price . Of course i could be wrong ?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2023-bmw-m3-touring-priced-in-germany-and-the-united-kingdom-191898.html

Based on the M3 Competition M xDrive four-door sedan, the M3 Touring is priced at €97,800 in Germany. British customers are charged £80,550 before options, and the conversion to U.S. dollars isn’t necessary because the current-generation 3 Series Touring isn’t homologated stateside.

From that article(mid 2022) it looks like it is actually cheaper to buy in the UK.

I think most cars are slightly cheaper purchased in countries other than their country of manufacture.

The manufacturers consider that they have a "captive market" in their own country (i.e. people who will only buy a car from their own country).

Conversely, they make a slight "pricing effort" for other countries, to gain export revenue.

In France, there are flourishing businesses who import new cars from abroad (say importing Peugeot from Denmark or Germany), and then sell them to French customers at a price somewhere between the domestic price and the export price. You can save a bit if you don't mind the hassle.

33 minutes ago, David Ovenden said:

Laser engines being available in more model shops = more sales

Is this such a good MO as a way to get more sales and hence more profit for the company?

Shop has to make its cut so will prices go up or will Laser's margin be trimmed to maintain retail prices? Still costs the same to make an engine  no matter who sells it. Laser seem to have no trouble selling all they can make as it is via direct sales, so why not expand that with some decent adverts, better website and demos at shows etc as proved so successful for JE. I doubt whether many modellers will wander into a model shop if they have one nearby and say on a whim "oh a nice Laser on the shelf, I'll have that as a treat".

Lasers, I suspect, are carefully planned and researched purchases, so I don't see the advantage of having them in shops and creating what is, after all, a middle man.

Happy to be corrected.

Edited by Cuban8

3 minutes ago, Flying Squirrel said:

What am I missing? Why cant people in EU for example just buy from the laser site?

Sending an individual product to an individual customer is an absolute customs nightmare. Reams of paperwork for us taking up to an hour per item sent, long customs delays and fees for customers. Shipping 10 engines to a business with all the codes and VAT details is much much easier. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, Flying Squirrel said:

What am I missing? Why cant people in EU for example just buy from the laser site?

Brexit has made trade from the UK to the EU unviable for many small manufacturers. Up to a third of existing companies have had to either give up trying to sell in Europe, cease trading completely, or become absorbed by a larger company with a hub in the EU:

Shipping from the UK to the European Union after Brexit

The retailer selling goods from the UK will now face some serious problems in getting the goods to the customers in DE and FR and these may potentially negatively impact the customer experience.

Because the UK is no longer part of the EU Customs Union or VAT regime after 31 December 2020, it means that it loses the VAT and customs simplification measures that make it very easy to sell goods across the continent. Sellers now have to consider:

#paying Customs Tariffs

#identifying HS and commodity codes

#completing customs declarations

#managing increased VAT liabilities

Edited by paul devereux