My Next Build ..... The FMS Beaver

toto

Well done Toto.  Just a point on nomenclature.  The bits stuck onto the wings are called fences and not vortex generators.  Their function is to reduce the spanwise flow of air.  This helps to reduce the wing tip vortex and thus drag.  Vortex generators are small triangular bits that run along the span and are about 15% of wing chord aft of the leading edge,  Their function is indeed to generate additional vorticity and make the airflow stay attached to the wing aft of that point.  That's the simple explanation and you don't need anything more complicated right now.

Thanks for that Peter. Maybe I read the destructions incorrectly. No matter .... I know now.

I have 2 6s batteries on charge as we speak so once they have charged, I'll get one attached to the mod3l and start the binding process. 

I must admit I am not 100% confident I now what I'm doing there but I think I can get through it. 

I have set up a place on my nx6 which has been reserved for my Beaver. When I install the receiver and get ready to bind, as far as I am aware, I only need to ensure that I have the TX wet with the Neavers address as default so the RX binds to the correct model on the TX.

I have not set the throttle duty to the Beaver yet on the TX but I presume that I can do this after the bunding.

I have taken the prop off the model for safety.

My boxers are slightly soiled but I'll get there. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

Sounds good Toto.  Generally, I think it is only Futaba that you have to reverse the throttle channel for electrics.  But just be aware that the motor might burst into life once the bind is successful.  That's why taking the prop off is essential.  That having been said, many ESCs won't arm if they see a throttle lever at full throttle.  Main thing is to expect the unexpected when setting up new electrics and always without the prop!

Well,

Tonight saw the successful binding of the Beaver to my NX6.

I would say that it went without a hitch..... but it didn't.

I installed the receiver and plugged the servos in as per the Beaver's instructions and proceeded to bind as per the instructions. .... that's when it all kicked off. ..... it came up as a successful bind according to the NX6 transmitter ...... job done.

But ........ all the servo functions were mixed up ..... i.e. the throttle was running full pelt with no control and the rider,  ailerons, elevator etc were all working on different channels and having an epileptic fit. ...... naturally, I shut it down. ... then I had a brain fart. I checked the receiver's recommendation on how the servos should be plugged in ..... completely different from the Beaver's destructions.

I rearranged the servo leads to the receiver recommendation and then went through the binding procedure..... bingo ..... all is well ..... including my attempt at setting the throttle cut off ....... all is happy now.

I haven't tinkered with any of the other settings or tested individual servo movement ranges etc. My instructor will be looking at these and coaching me into these tasks.

I am still pleased at my ( what probably appears as ) minimal basic progress. ...... little by little .... its starting to sink in,

All going well ..... the Beaver shall get its first taste of air over this weekend.

Toto

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
As you apologised so nicely I've corrected some of the typos as I suspect you intended...Martin
  • Like 2

Apologies for the various typo's above. 

Generally I read my threads before I hit the submit button and I could swear they are legible ....... god knows how the above is so bad. .... maybe just had too long a day.

I hope you got the jist of it as the edit function only gives so long to go back and correct otherwise I would have made the effort.

Now I've proof read this post ..... let's see how it comes out once I've hit the button. :classic_biggrin:

Until tomorrow

Toto

Edited by toto

So,

Just to bring this thread to an end really, I thought a very simple review of the maiden flight which happened today.

It is highlighted in my other thread " first taste of the sky " but just feels appropriate to comment here to bring it to a bit of a conclusion for the model itself.

So, all the settings and functions had been allocated to their chosen control switches like the throttle cut for example.

The model itself had been given an initial general servo check to see how it performed position wise out of the box prior to some subtrimming and the odd adjustment of push rod lengths etc to bring the model to as true a setting that could be achieved without the use of the trim switches on the TX. ... you really want whatever is in reserve for any slight trimming that may become apparent once you hit the sky.

As it was, the Beaver flew very well indeed straight off with really just the minimum of final adjustments once in the air. Of course, it was my instructor who took her up on the maiden with jo involvement from me. After all, this has probably got to be one of the most important flights any new plane will ever make and it needs an experienced hand to understand the feedback the model is giving and what is required to get it performing to its optimum.

So, after about only four minutes of steady, smooth and faultless flying in quite basic circuits, changes in altitude and a little fancier stuff, my instructor brought her around to a beautiful line of approach towards the runway. In what seemed effortless to him, he brought her down on a steady decent with all the grace of a butterfly as I watched with envy as it just strimmed along the grass to a very controlled halt. He had quite an emotionless face but I'm sure he was secretly buzzing, if not from the planes performance itself, then certainly from his own perfect handling and the fact that all eyes were on him. He certainly seemed happy with the model.

We checked the battery after about a 4 minute flight and there was still around 58 % of the battery life left so this battery used is good for a 7 or 8 minute flight.

We installed a fresh battery anyway as I had 4 fully charged batteries with me so .... let's not take chances considering we have only had one flight which is hardly a fully assessed assessment of the models characteristics ..... or the batteries.

So .... back up we go and once airborne..... it's very quickly on to yours truly. ... to start, a couple of half turns to start to create a rectangular circuit with a little touch of elevator to get the nose up a little. All going well with no real concerns or assistance. I was still a little rusty due to lack of air time lately so there was a couple of moments where a little intervention was required but nothing dramatic. Maybe just a little bit of nerves in anticipation of getting airborne again. 

On this first flight, it took me a couple of turns just to get used to reducing the amount of actual physical movement that I was feeding into th control surfaces .... far more than what is required, but after a  minute or two, I quickly got the feel again and this disappeared to a great extent. So much so that on the odd occasion that I went a little astray , mainly altitude wise, I was happy to ask to be left with it to make my own adjustments for a recovery. .... in other words the fall out from my mistakes were getting less aggressive and potentially dangerous ..... now that's progress to me.

It was time to come back in so it was back to the instructor to bring her around on the final circuit prior to the approach and a required drop in altitude. Once again he pulls off a fairytale landing which had me bursting with pride to see MY model providing the entertainment for the day.

Another change of battery with around 60% being used on the second, longer flight. This third flight saw more of the same. What I thought was pretty good all round control by myself in direction control but this time my instructor was happy enough to get me to make the change in altitude and fly a bit lower.  There was one moment when I tried to come out of one banking turn to the left and went too quickly in to the other direction that saw the plane take a bit of a dive and me asking him to pull me out. Again, no big aversion required really but I think I know when I'm maybe risking operating out of my depth.

This does not dampen my spirits having to ask for help because earlier, I was happily identifying times when I was needing to makes adjustments in noth the vertical and horizontal plains prior to potentially getting myself into a situation.

The model .... to my mind ...seemed to be more controllable and happier in flight than anything I had used to date.

One disappointing but not major point to mention as a negative about the Beaver, is the wheel attachment bolts. After all three landings one of the wheels had twisted in quite considerably. I can assure anyone reading this that it was in no way due to any hard landing as the Instructor performed three text book landings kn grass.

The bolts supplied must be a milder steel so I am going to change the broken one out and the other whilst I'm at it.

I'll report back on the findings of this for anyone interested in potentially buying a Beaver. I would not let this put anyone off but never the less, is definitely worth reporting on. The beaver is a fair weight for a foam made model. 

Hope you have enjoyed my newbie review if you can call it that. If there are any specific questions that anyone would like to ask ..... fire away and I will do my best to answer.

Thanks for all the responses and encouragement given throughout the thread ..... until the next one

Cheers

Toto

• Like 3

Thanks chaps,

A great day John.

I'll have a look at your link Philip. It's always useful to build up a few spares. I have some machines screws with z Philip's head but unsure what they are made of. I need to try and determine that but if I can buy  some of known repute .... all the better .... and safer.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to provide the link.

Cheers for now

Toto 

Great stuff guys. Various options and some links to take me to them.

I'll take a few measurements of the existing to get the correct sizes and lengths etc and take it from there.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions.... always appreciated.

Toto

1 hour ago, Philip Lewis 3 said:

Why these kit makers supply bolts made out of cheese for the UC is beyond me, you want to get some high tensile allen bolts of the same size, plenty on e bay like here.

They use the cheapest they can buy. I had a Eflite pushrod endstop screw just fall apart as I tightened it up the first time. Considering how vital the hardware is in flight, it's ridiculous.

Yes I appreciatte the reason but it falls foul of fit fit for purpose which as you say is plainly ridiculous.

If you are talking about the type that screws down on to a pushrod then bin it. It WILL come lose, and if that's on an elevator then when it does it's goodbye plane, seen that more tomes than I'd like to and would rather not see it again.

• Like 2

One other thing I have noticed about the Beaver are the tyres are brick hard. I think it's well known that landings on grass are preferred partially because of this. The tyres are 3.5 inches in diameter.

So ..... rightly or wrongly ..... I'm sure I'll be advised shortly .... :classic_biggrin: I have decided to experiment with a set of " Dubro " captive air tyres  ........ I'll put my hands around my ears whilst I await the responses to that.

I'm wondering if this may make the landings any softer on the landing gear as it should clearly be able to withstand three more or less textbook landings. I want to do what I can before the potential damage sustained extends to that beyond just the wheel bolts. 

Toto

Your Beaver sounds like the Riot - wheels made of steel, axles made of cheese!

I swapped out my axles and added softer tyres - just cheap foam ones I had in my spares box. Any 'give' must be better than none....

Will Dubro be better than other? Dunno. They're quite costly though.

Thanks for the slec link Ron.

Probably less than half what I paid for the Dubro's. I'd need to check again. Should I need to buy more though, I now know where to look. 

I'll report back once I receive them, get them fitted and give them a test landing or two.

Cheers

Toto

• 4 weeks later...

Ok .... an update on my Beavers welfare ..... :classic_biggrin:

It took a less than favourable landing which resulted in one half of the elevator being ripped off. Well ..... it was lying on the ground where the moel came down. My instructor had that privilege.

The result being that I need to do a repair to the elevator before we can even consider it to be air worthy again. Since studying it , I've discovered the cowl underside has sustained a bit damage to but this is not flight critical. 

So .... new wing hinges are ordered which should be all that's required to fix the elevator and the cowl .... I reckon..... can be removed and patched from the inside out. 8t 8s just a bit cracked and I think another straight forward repair once I've given it some thought.

That's where we are for now. I will post up some progress pictures and narratives with the repair thread.

Cheers

Toto

• 1 month later...

Done the repair on the Beaver and although it seemed to go ok, on closer I section ( held up to the light ) it looks like the damage is worse than when first inspected.

The fear is that I run the risk of maybe getting another couple of flights out of the repair only to fall foul of the repair not holding and losing the whole model in the process.

It looks like there could be the potential for the remainder of the elevator ( that was not damaged ) to go.

I have therefore decided to ground her until I receive a new horizontal elevator tail piece which you can buy spares for. The only issues is there seems to be no stock in the UK at the moment. It needs to be brought in from the USA via Century.

The part lists from between £ 12.50 up to £ 30.00 depending on where you order it. I thi k it's better to replace the part and potentially save a £ 400.00 model.

I'll be speaking with retailers hopefully tomorrow to place an order. I'll let you know how I get on

Toto