Open Tx (Edge) or New Spectrum radio?

Mr Ficky

I've been using Hitec radios for the last 15 or so years, and I've been quite satisfied with them. However, I'm thinking of changing radios as Hitec no longer manufactures them. So, what radio would you recommend? No doubt I'll get a variety of answers, but I'm happy to look at all viewpoints. Generally, I don't think I'll ever need more than 6 channels, and I do like to keep things simple.

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Mr Ficky said:

I do like to keep things simple.

Therefore Spektrum. Stick with the simple menu structure. 

OpenTX does way more, and if you were flying complicated models with lots of mixing, then the argument would be the other way.

But for simple 6ch models, and your preference for simple, then that answers it for me.

I have had both. Currently flying OpenTX (2 years) with typically 9-10ch warbird type models, and I'm not madly in love with it. Because I like things simple too!

• Like 1

I also thought I'd never need more than 6 channels but.....

P47: 2 x flaps, 2 x ailerons, 2 x undercarriage, rudder, elevator, throttle, engine kill - 10

Ultrastick: 2 x flaps, 2 x ailerons, throttle, rudder, elevator - 7

Valiant: 2 x flaps, 2 x ailerons, rudder, elevator, throttle, on-board-glow - 8

Tbh, OpenTX/EdgeTX is not complicated for a simple aircraft - you can have one up and running in under 5 minutes - probably the same as my old Spektrum, so don't be put off by the perceived complication.

It absolutely does excel if you want to do something 'fancier' - e.g. my Ultrastick has coupled flaps and ailerons in one flight mode, separate flaps/crow in another, and coupled flaps/elevator in a third.  Took me about 30 minutes to get it all working; a chum on a relatively high end Spektrum took much much longer to get a similar setup. 

Another chums Spektrum (think it's an ix16) does feel much nicer than my Radiomaster - but it should do as it cost 10 times more!  As ever, hands on experience is good if your chums will let you 'have a feel'.

Futaba's also feel really nice..........

You really do need to get your hands on them and since your Hitec still works, it's not like you need a new radio tomorrow.

Whichever way you jump, there is going to be new stuff to learn.

The first 25 minutes of this video shows the basics of EdgeTx on a Radiomaster TX16S. It can do a lot more than what's shown, however the presenter shows a simple setup.

I use a TX16S with OpenTx and it suits me. I also have a Multiplex set that has proprietary firmware. The learning curve for EdgeTx/OpenTx is steeper if one wishes to use the full capability, however one doesn't have to.

Edited to add, the TX16S has several versions. The one with a 4 in 1 module will bind to many makes of receiver, so you can use it with spekky bind and fly models, and probably your existing Hitec receivers. it certainly binds to hitec, but I don't know if that applies to *all* hitec receivers.

Edited by Graham Bowers
More info after reading another post that came in.

Protocols.

The 4in1 system does the following Hitec protocols.

Click the link above for all available protocols.

HITEC - 39

Models: OPTIMA, MINIMA and MICRO receivers.

Extended limits supported

Option for this protocol corresponds to fine frequency tuning. This value is different for each Module and must be accurate otherwise the link will not be stable. Check the Frequency Tuning page to determine it.

CH1 CH2 CH3 CH4 CH5 CH6 CH7 CH8 CH9
CH1 CH2 CH3 CH4 CH5 CH6 CH7 CH8 CH9

Sub_protocol OPT_FW - 0

OPTIMA RXs

Full telemetry available on OpenTX 2.3.3+, still in progress for erskyTx. Lowest the TX_LQI value is best the quality link is, it's a good indicator of how well the module is tuned.

The TX must be close to the RX for the bind negotiation to complete successfully

Sub_protocol OPT_HUB - 1

OPTIMA RXs

Basic telemetry using FrSky Hub on er9x, erskyTX, OpenTX and any radio with FrSky telemetry support with RX voltage, VOLT2 voltage, TX_RSSI and TX_LQI. Lowest the TX_LQI value is best the quality link is, it's a good indicator of how well the module is tuned.

The TX must be close to the RX for the bind negotiation to complete successfully

Sub_protocol MINIMA - 2

MINIMA, MICRO and RED receivers. Also used by ARES planes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Open TX is very well explained by Mike Shellim on THIS website.

There are many, many YT videos explaining Open TX or Edge, but if you are like me preferring  good graphics with text, Mike's website is for you.

That said, there is indeed a simple setup script included in OTX for setting up a new model (but I have hardly used it).

25 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

I also have a Multiplex set that has proprietary firmware.

I have to say I made the decision to go for a Multiplex system decades ago, as it was based on a similar way of thinking, and I preferred it over the then available major brands.

Max.

Edited by Max Z

17 minutes ago, Max Z said:

Open TX is very well explained by Mike Shellim on THIS website.

There are many, many YT videos explaining Open TX or Edge, but if you are like me preferring  good graphics with text, Mike's website is for you.

That said, there is indeed a simple setup script included in OTX for setting up a new model (but I have hardly used it).

I have to say I made the decision to go for a Multiplex system decades ago, as it was based on a similar way of thinking, and I preferred it over the then available major brands.

Max.

I still have a P4000 which arguably is the father of the open source offerings, although no longer in use as whilst I have a 2.4 GHz module, it doesn't do telemetry.

I also have a 2.4 GHz Cockpit SX that I was meaning above, and that has the pr-digested menu structure that only offers what was on the spec sheet when the firmware was developed. The timers in particular bug me to death as it's not possible to switch off one minute annunciations for the last 5 minutes - which for an EDF is most of the flight!

I bought it to use some of the Multiplex receivers I still have, and since then I've aquired the TX16S and learned will bind to multiplex receivers too.

3 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

It absolutely does excel if you want to do something 'fancier' - e.g. my Ultrastick has coupled flaps and ailerons in one flight mode, separate flaps/crow in another, and coupled flaps/elevator in a third.  Took me about 30 minutes to get it all working; a chum on a relatively high end Spektrum took much much longer to get a similar setup. 

All that means is that your chum doesn't know how to do more than the basics with his transmitter. What you are describing would take me a lot less than 30 minutes on my DX-9.

I have the Spektrum NX8 and it's more radio than I'll ever need.

Pair that with the Spektum antennor-less receivers the AR620 and the AR410 or if you want stablisation the AR631.

Very good reliable kit with all the features you need for fixed wing or rotary wing flight, but with simple menus and easy learning curve.

I know Spektrum stuff can be pricey but mine has been 100% reliable and pretty intuitive.

Edited by Keith Billinge
I'm very very old
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steve too said:

All that means is that your chum doesn't know how to do more than the basics with his transmitter. What you are describing would take me a lot less than 30 minutes on my DX-9.

I suspect most people only know the basics..... and I'm sure many EdgeTX experts could do it in far less time than me.

But anyway, it was the first time either of us had done it so seemed a sensible comparison.  Maybe not. 🙂

The key advantage of a 4 in 1 module equipped Open source radio is that you will still be able to use all your Hitec RXs with it. Unless you are completely phobic of the open source configuration flow (which is not difficult, as long as you are prepared to accept you can’t just apply the same approach used on a “canned mixer” style TX such as Hitec or Spektrum) that is a killer financial advantage. Why bin perfectly good RXs when they can be used for many years with a new TX?

The best video to explain OpenTX/EdgeTX flow to a newcomer coming from Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec et al…

Edited by MattyB

Hi,

I'm sure this is common knowledge, but not where I fly.

I changed one of my Jets over to RadioMaster Tx16S following the failure of the screen on my Graupner  MZ24. I thought I'd set everything up correctly but after take off it was clear the model was severely nose down. I couldn't get the elevator trim on fast enough so landed rather than persevere. (I was getting in a right mess. Being Mode-1 I had to let go the right hand side of the Tx to reach the elevator trim with my right hand - couldn't let go of the L.H elevator stick!) 

Once on the ground I sub-trimmed the elevator to where I thought it should be and attempted a take off. With T/O flap selected the model rose parallel to the ground but refused to pitch up. Shut the throttle and carried out a very fast landing. 

When I got home I checked out what had happened. Turns out that on this Radio, the trim eats into servo travel, i.e. 20% up trim means only 80% remaining up-travel. I use 67% Expo. so basically had no up elevator. (Glad I aborted!) I'm used to the trim changing the entire arc of the servo - it never occurred to me this is not the case here. Took forever to find a way round this, however here it is:

Set 'Model setup' to 'Extended Limits' on stick travel,

On the 'Inputs' screen set these at 80%,

on the 'Mix screen' set at 100%    and

on the 'Outputs' screen   set +/-125% travel.     

Hope this helps - (I have to say I've found a lot of spurious advice on the 'net.)                                                                                                                                

hello MR Ficky......... i bought a Radiomaster T16s to use along side my existing Hitec Tx....the T16 binds to the Hitec RX'S and works a treat.......Open TX is a bit daunting at first ,but there is plenty of good advice around wherever you look as to getting your head around it.

ken anderson...ne..1...Mr Ficky dept.