Any ARTF that will suit a Laser 180

Rocker

I am really lost now .I have a Laser 180.I was going to  put it in a Seagull Hurricane but now several people have told me the Laser 180.will not have power to power the Seagull Hurricane or the 80"Seagull.Spitfire.So I am at a loss now to what ARTF that is on the market that will suite my Laser 180.At the moment.it looks like I might have to put my 180 in draw for the time being .It no good saying build something for it .Believe I wish I could but my building skills are awful,so building is out. I have look at the Seagull Edge 540 .That is all I can find. I am desperate .Can anyone help me out for suggestion on what artf model will suit a  Laser 180 .Any model I am desperate to find some thing 

Blackhorse have a couple but at a silly price (over a £1000)

Seagull models, as well as those from Black Horse, are very very light for its size and may be powered by surprisingly small motors. As an example, i have a DH Gipsy Moth that is recommended for a .90-1.10 glow four stroke engine but I have installed an OS .70FS Surpass II, and it flies beautifully at scale speed while it is able of taking off at just mid throttle.

I also own a Seagull Model Edge 540 180 powered by a SAITO FG-36 gas engine and it also performs perfect, not for 3D flying but real and scale! So your Laser 180, being glow, surely will fit this aerobatic plane.

You do not give guidelines for your preferrences, but having a look at a pair of UK model shops I may suggest the following models:

Military trainers: "79.5in PT-19", "65in Bucker Jungmeister (also a great model I own, but be carefully with C.G.!)", "80in DHC-1 Chipmunk".

Military and racer Warbirds: "63in Yak-3U (you will have a killer with the Laser 180!)", "71in Grumman F8F-2 Bearcat", "71 Reno Yak 11".

As you see, you have plenty of modelf to choose from.

Sure you will select the most suited model to your taste and preferred flying style.

Edited by Jesus Cardin
  • Like 1

The 180 has plenty of power for the SG Hurricane but unfortunately the model is an utter dog to fly. Something is very wrong with it aerodynamically and its just a mess. 

Any 80 inch warbird around 18lbs will be no bother for the 180 if you wanted a warbird. If not the edge you have chosen will likely be fine. Just mount the engine on its side for best tank placement and cooling. 

Jesus is quite correct that many models in the SG range are overpowered if using the kit recommendation. THe gypsy moth is a prime example, and the 80 inch chipmunk will fly with ease on only a 100. The 180 will be physically too large and heavy for anything under about 70 inch so i would go larger if you can. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

The 180 has plenty of power for the SG Hurricane but unfortunately the model is an utter dog to fly. Something is very wrong with it aerodynamically and its just a mess. 

The one in the video posted above by Paul looks beautifully well sorted - based on that I suspect the model you saw/flew must have had something wrong with it in manufacture or setup, if it were really a total dog I don’t think it would be possible to fly it like that.

Edited by MattyB

6 minutes ago, MattyB said:

The one in the video posted above by Paul looks beautifully well sorted - based on that I suspect the model you saw/flew must have had something wrong with it in manufacture or setup, if it were really a total dog I don’t think it would be possible to fly it like that.

Flown 2, both utter dogs, and loads of video online of them doing weird things before lawndarting into the ground.

The one in the video above was tamed by balancing massively nose heavy and fitting a gyro to the elevator. If you look carefully, its unstable in pitch even with the gyro and tends to fly in a long wavelength porpoise. Note also the snatch up from level flight at the start of a loop. If i thought it was one donkey model i wouldnt be worried, but having flown 2 build by different people i know where i am pointing the finger. Its a shame as they look great in the air. 

I think the problem is the wing section used as its almost totally flat on the outer panels and the centre section is quite odd as well. There's a whole thread on the subject somewhere here. One of the two is now dead, the other mothballed. At some point i would like to have a crack at modifying the thing to make it actually fly as i fly at the same club as the owner. The fuselage would be difficult to screw up. I mean its a stick used to separate the engine, wings and tail. Difficult to make a mess of that. The wings are another story and i think reprofiling of the outer panels may help. If i had access to a YT Hurricane i might try and clone the wing and just replace the one on the SG as the YT is known to perform well. My DB Hurricane is on rails as well, so clearly something isnt right with the SG. 

9 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Flown 2, both utter dogs, and loads of video online of them doing weird things before lawndarting into the ground.

The one in the video above was tamed by balancing massively nose heavy and fitting a gyro to the elevator. If you look carefully, its unstable in pitch even with the gyro and tends to fly in a long wavelength porpoise. Note also the snatch up from level flight at the start of a loop. If i thought it was one donkey model i wouldnt be worried, but having flown 2 build by different people i know where i am pointing the finger. Its a shame as they look great in the air. 

I think the problem is the wing section used as its almost totally flat on the outer panels and the centre section is quite odd as well. There's a whole thread on the subject somewhere here. One of the two is now dead, the other mothballed. At some point i would like to have a crack at modifying the thing to make it actually fly as i fly at the same club as the owner. The fuselage would be difficult to screw up. I mean its a stick used to separate the engine, wings and tail. Difficult to make a mess of that. The wings are another story and i think reprofiling of the outer panels may help. If i had access to a YT Hurricane i might try and clone the wing and just replace the one on the SG as the YT is known to perform well. My DB Hurricane is on rails as well, so clearly something isnt right with the SG. 

Hmmmm.... Looking at the RCGroups thread it does sounds like those who have been successful had to do a lot of mods, and it's pretty tail heavy out of the box. Based on this mini review it doesn't sound like Seagull's response covered them in glory either.

• Like 1

Second what Jon has said about the SG Hurricane, I've seen 2 at 2 separate venues come to a nasty end on their maiden flights very unstable and very pitch sensitive and both flown by 'experienced' pilots!

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

If i had access to a YT Hurricane i might try and clone the wing and just replace the one on the SG as the YT is known to perform well

You know where to come Jon and I've already got the centre section ribs on CAD!

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

I will third what Jon said about the SG Hurricane, even if SG gave me one I would give it back. It has major issues and at best will land like a dog, sort of fly ok and never really be a pleasure to fly IMHO as at some point it has to meet the ground.

Others have had some success by adding inches to the nose and remaking the fuselage, moving the UC mounts and adding a gyro, but is it really worth all that effort to end up with a dog?  

Quote,

but is it really worth all that effort to end up with a dog?  

Why not !, I finished improving both my £50 non-running .90 laser and 160€ Saito black night with its Ch-ignition petrol kit, also a non runner, our 15-month-old dog obeys us ( sort of 🤪), so if there is a Hurricane out there I will accept the donation, my VQ one is falling to bits.