Phoenix Domino ( a little slight of hand with brash product statements ).

toto

The courier has just dropped off my Phoenix Domino high wing trainer model.

Jumped in to open the box as you do and immediately noticed something that stopped me in my tracks ...... a statement ...... no gluing required. Now, before I even finished taking the lid off, I did not believe this statement.

My initial " wish " was that maybe ..... just maybe ..... they had glued the hinges in place ( although frankly , I knew that was wishful thinking as well ). I was not disappointed, one tug at the vertical rudder confirmed my thought ....... no glue applied.

I haven't tried the elevator or ailerons but I think we all know the answer to that as well.

Furthermore .... the main wings are held on with 4 nylon bolts .... there is a wing brace and my money is on the tradition that they will need glued together as well ...... then the main tail assembly.

How can they get away with such blatant misrepresentation ?

It doesn't matter as I did not buy the model based on that premise but someone might.

Build today ..... fly tomorrow it states. Given that you may have a fuel tank and engine set up to do ...... you would need to be pretty good to achieve that ...... what about epoxy curing time alone.

Unrealistic. Not really intended as a moan by the way ..... just a wee grumpy Scottish observation.

Tye finish of the model does look nice although it has only had a very quick 5 mi ute going over. I will be doing the assembly thread relatively soon on completion of my Arising Star where the Domino will be in competition with my Tiger 60 to see who wins pole position on the " trainer assembly front " 

Cheers for now

Toto

Toto, the wing is a two piece wing, just insert the aluminium tube in each wing and slide them together, attach the servo leads and attach to the fuselage with 4 bolts. No need to glue the two halves together. It makes it much easier to transport!

GDB

Sound Caveman.

I hadn't got around to thoroughly reading the I structions as yet but presumed the wings would have been glued.

So much the better that they are not as  .... as you say, transportation will be so much easier.

Apllogies to Phoenix for my misrepresentation. :classic_biggrin: but hey ...... dont get too snug ...... you still have to glue the hinges . :classic_biggrin:

Thanks Caveman

Toto 

2 hours ago, toto said:

The courier has just dropped off my Phoenix Domino high wing trainer model.

Jumped in to open the box as you do and immediately noticed something that stopped me in my tracks ...... a statement ...... no gluing required. Now, before I even finished taking the lid off, I did not believe this statement.

My initial " wish " was that maybe ..... just maybe ..... they had glued the hinges in place ( although frankly , I knew that was wishful thinking as well ). I was not disappointed, one tug at the vertical rudder confirmed my thought ....... no glue applied.

I haven't tried the elevator or ailerons but I think we all know the answer to that as well.

Furthermore .... the main wings are held on with 4 nylon bolts .... there is a wing brace and my money is on the tradition that they will need glued together as well ...... then the main tail assembly.

How can they get away with such blatant misrepresentation ?

It doesn't matter as I did not buy the model based on that premise but someone might.

Build today ..... fly tomorrow it states. Given that you may have a fuel tank and engine set up to do ...... you would need to be pretty good to achieve that ...... what about epoxy curing time alone.

Unrealistic. Not really intended as a moan by the way ..... just a wee grumpy Scottish observation.

Tye finish of the model does look nice although it has only had a very quick 5 mi ute going over. I will be doing the assembly thread relatively soon on completion of my Arising Star where the Domino will be in competition with my Tiger 60 to see who wins pole position on the " trainer assembly front " 

Cheers for now

Toto

I think you are miss quoting Phoenix

The Domino Trainer ARF comes out of the box 95% prebuilt and you can be out at the flying field in only a few hours. Build FAST- NO GLUEING OR SPECIAL TOOLS required, Just only two tools are all you need. It has sturdy all balsa/ply wood construction and is very stable in flight. The world of radio-controlled flight offers all kinds of adventures. If you're someone who's looking to begin the quest for adventure with a plane of your own, you've got a lot to look forward to. Start with success. Start with the Domino Trainer from Phoenix Model!!! 

Try building something from scratch....that last 5%  can translate into many hours of work 🤣

• Like 1

:classic_laugh:

It's not a complaint either but a bit misleading. It sounds like one of these two piece kits that you bought with your pocket money when you were about five years old. A wing that slotted through a fuselage. :classic_laugh: .... not quite.

The positive side .... for some .... is that whilst the ultimate obje tive is to fly it, you get a secondary kick out of the additional activity of assembling it. Adds to the value maybe.

Toto

At first I assumed this was from the Phoenix firm  who advertise each month in RCME  but it seems it's not the same company.     Domino doesn't seem to be listed by Phoenix Model Products of Newton Abbott Devon  ( who have a very good reputation and UK phone number )     So it seems to be a completely different company!    Don't be confused by the somewhat similar name.

The Domino is advertised by a firm who give an 84 phone number - this seems to be Vietnam......

Edited by kc

Well I thought it was strange that a reputable English firm should make a misleading statemant about their model so I checked and sure enough it turns out to be made by someone else on the other side of the world.   Sold from some other country too I suppose otherwise they would have to be more careful about misdescribing the product.

I'd be very surprised if Stan at PMP mad ever made an ARTF that claimed such quick assembly, so it didn't occur to me for a second that the Phoenix referred to in the thread had anything to do with Phoenix Model Products. The name  Phoenix Models has been used by the Vietnamese manufacturers for quite some time - their stock in trade has always been large ARTFs - a Tucano and or PC9 springs to mind - very different than what PMP offers..

• Like 1

I thought so because if you check carefully, if it does not have  ade in Vietnam on the models box ..... it's usually on the outer box ie , the externql cardboard packaging.

I've noticed that with a few.

Toto