My RC Sim Journey

toto

Thought I'd start this up.

I'm struggling to get stick time to bring me on in my flying journey ( I'm a trainer at the moment ) for one reason or another.

I purchased Real Flight some time ago but have only really tickled the edges of it. 

I've come near to the end of my trainer assembly.... the Arising Star and although I will be starting starting another, intend to share my weekday time ( non club training / flying ) between another trainer assembly ( yet to be decided ) and simulator time.

So ..... hopefully at least two weekday evenings and maybe some weekend slots on the sim.

Two things I want to do to set myself up prior to starting on the sim in ernest is to get the " ground in view " option working and also get a copy of an add on of my club flying field uploaded onto the programme.

I'm not sure if I'll get to start this tomorrow night or not as there will probably be some " homework " to do from the Arising Star setup from my club visit tomorrow during the day and the comp,etion of this takes priority.

I'm not sure what kind of format this thread will follow but I'll try and keep it updated and we will see where it leads to. If it lends itself to even a moderately interesting thread , I'll keep it going ..... if not ..... I'll hit the kill switch ...... :classic_biggrin:

Cheers for now

Toto 

Back in the day when the Phoenix Sim was the "Go to" sim, quite a few of our members made use of it. Personally, I think they are a very good learning tool, with the vagaries of the British weather etc. Good luck with your training with the sim. and the Arising Star which is a great beginners model!. 

Perhaps it is me but I can't get on with sims (or other computer games) on a computer or TV screen. It is so remote from real life I get bored after a couple of minutes.

The only satisfactory experiences I have had were a model sim projected onto a large white wall, where you could immerse yourself, and proper full size aircraft training sims. 

Hi Toto - at your stage, I recommend not becoming too absorbed with scenary and other presentational aspects of an RC simulator; it's all too easy to focus upon these rather than getting to grips with the business of using it as a learning tool.  Accept the fact that you'll never achieve a fully immersive experience using a PC or laptop screen, and take advantage of the simuator's strengths (ie convenience, no weather issues, cost and, of course, crash reset).

To get the best out of your simulator, I recommend setting up an appropriate virtual high-wing model to handle, as far as is possible, like your Arising Star. Usually, it's possible achieve this using your TX's rates and expo.  It'll never be perfect, but spending time setting the model up properly is a key aspect of using your simulator as an effective training aid.  For my money, it's much more important than realistic scenery.

If you can, use weather settings to add a little wind (5-7mph), but keep turbulence to the minimum.  Use the simulator to learn and practise the basics of orientation, handling, take-off, landing and circuits before having fun with low-level aerobatics.

Used properly and within their limitations, RC simulators can be a tremendous boon for novices and experienced flyers.  I've seen flyers make huge improvements following time on a simulator.  I used mine to learn advanced (for me!) manoeuvres like knife-edge and slow rolls.  Also, if I haven’t flown for some time, I find my simulator to be a great way of getting 'back in the saddle'.  Best of luck with yours.

• Like 1

During my early learning I found Real Flight boring despite turning up turbulence and wind speed as I found taking off, flying a circuit and landing was a lot easier than real life.

Where I've now found it very useful is when learning a new manoeuvre and making stick movements second nature, this has been a great help. 👍

PDP, you've hit the nail on the head there with the phrase 'useful when learning a new manoeuvre'.  

Of course, for beginners, all manoeuvres are new.  I think one of the biggest benefits of an RC simulator is the ability to learn the effects of controls, orientation and basic flying techniques in a risk-free way.  Importantly, beginners can do this without an instructor taking control as soon as they make a potentially hazardous mistake.  This can save so much time at the flying field, and it enables beginners to gain maximum benefit from 'live' time in the air. Yes, take-offs, landings and circuits are easier in a simulator than on real life, but that gives you a chance to learn how to do it.

For training, there's no way that an RC simulator can fully replace live flying; the same is true even of full-size flight simulators.  However, as training aids they are, IMHO, invaluable.

• Like 2

Thanks chaps,

I will get the si  set up soon. Maybe tomorrow if I dont fall back into the Domino built. I should take some time out specifically for the sim as my real time flying has suffered lately. It will let me keep my hand in.

Cheers

Toto

Well,

Finally hooked up the Sim in the shed tonight and I've had around an hour and a half in an E-flight Apprentice in the " training school ".

Still find it hard to assess my bearings in the sky relative to the landing strip. I guess it's going to just take some time and perseverance. I'm going to try and commit to at least an hour a day  maybe a bit longer at the weekends as I could have a couple of sessions.

It's ok but still feels a little weirder than the real thing. I think if you can master the basics in this, the real thing will actually be easier. .... another session tomorrow prior to starting my Tiger 60 assembly.

Cheers for now 

Toto 

@totowe have a couple of Apprentices as club trainers.  They are incredibly 'floaty' and can fly at walking pace.  Once you can take off, fly a couple of circuits, land, I'd recommend selecting a plane more like your Arising Star - there's bound to be something......

Whether or not the real thing is easier is a moot point, and views will vary!

To get best value, I'd recommend having an objective for each simulator flight, rather than just flying about.

10 hours ago, toto said:

Still find it hard to assess my bearings in the sky relative to the landing strip

You have to set " Ground in View " Toto " on your sim

1 hour is too long

Do 10 minute slots like at the field

During a day, do 3 or 4 slots, 

People have totally learned to fly using flight sims.

On or before 10 hours, you will be a flyer

43 minutes ago, Learner said:

Fly them all and see which one you like best,after all it doesnt cost you anything when you crash

It really depends on why one wants to use a sim. 

If it's just for fun, then certainly "try them all" works great!

If you want to use it as a learning aid, it's probably best to find a model that is a close approximation of ones 'real' model, and fly that, in a similar manner to the way it'll be flown in real life - as Denis says, a few short sessions is better than an hour....

5 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

It really depends on why one wants to use a sim. 

If it's just for fun, then certainly "try them all" works great!

If you want to use it as a learning aid, it's probably best to find a model that is a close approximation of ones 'real' model, and fly that, in a similar manner to the way it'll be flown in real life - as Denis says, a few short sessions is better than an hour....

Flying a plane you dont enjoy flying can have a negative effect,

Find one you like to fly encourages to use it more hence learning quicker. An elevator on a jet does the same as on a trainer so the control basics are the same which is what your trying to learn and then if you want try an replicate your plane/site.

However as always what works for one is not necessarily right

I've had a variety of sims over the years - in fact I started with Aerochopper and that absolutely did teach me the basics of orientation, muscle memory and basic flying.

Since then I have had a whole string of sims and I enjoy them and can see the value but, for me, there is one big shortcoming - they don't simulate the 'pucker factor'.  That is the fear of crashing and its inconvenience but more importantly the cost.

As an example, I have tried many times to fly helicopters.  I've had a couple of real ones over the years.  On the sim I can fly helicopters around the virtual sky, I can do aerobatics, I can even auto most times.  But at the field it is a different matter, I can hover okay, but I feel very tense and anxious and can't proceed to forward flight.  I'm actually relieved when the timer beeps and I can land.  I'm certain that if I could simply get over this psychological barrier I would be able to fly around fine - unfortunately that is not something the sim can help with.

Edited by Nigel Heather
  • Thanks 1

Agree totally with the whole post, and value of the SIM Nigel.

Almost the same, I fly fixed wing and heli, but heli, am told, I fly wrong.

The resident heli expert at my place, flys " The Disc ". That is the blade impression in the sky.

I cannot fly heli aerobatic, or ad lib a helicopter flight, I have to fly Scale, with the pilot at the front, with a flight plan.

I fly ( wrongly am told ) the Tail. I keep the Tail at the back of the flight path, and this suits me and looks real.

• 3 weeks later...

Back on the Sim tonight ..... some rough flights but good fun. Still can't get to the menu for ground in view.

the screen shown in Denis's post comes up with the ribbon along the top but seems to be dulled out. So when i try to click on view to change the view, it just darts back to the last flight scenario I was flying.

I'll play around with it a bit longer. Not sure what version Denis is on but this is Realflight Evolution. Not sure if the menus are maybe slightly different.

I'll try again later meanwhile just experimenting with what I have.

cheers

toto  

• 6 months later...

It's been a while but I have eventually dragged myself back onto the SIM. I say dragged because .... generally ..... I don't like it.

My main problem is with the very basics. .... circuits ..... I have managed to get ground in view mode .... and I'm happy. I try to fly circuits but ALWAYS end up with the model way to far away to keep an acceptable eye on it in terms of orientation.

As a result ..... I get very frustrated / bored very quick. ... I know ... its all about perseverance.... and I will but I have been easily " 0ut off " by this in the past. ( my problem ..... grow up ).

However ...... tonight, I may have turned a corner ...... this may sound stupid ..... but ..... its just hit a nerve that has given me a kick up the ×××× .

I was flying along ( as you do ) playing about. I pushed my aileron stick right over to the left ( at height ) and I noticed it roll3d over 360 degrees but heading towards the ground. I then decided to pull back on my el3vator to try and add altitude and notice it had the opposite effect. ..... that threw me .... but because I had height in my favour, I then reversed that move and pushed up on my elevator ( normally would lose you altitude ) and low and behold it levelled me off and gained me height again.

I tried this a couple of times and realised that the procedure is to roll fully over to th3 left ( or right ) meanwhile push up on the elevator and you get a reasonably level 360 degree roll ( or more if you maintain the sticks in the correct position.

Am I on drugs or are my findings correct ????????

Anyway, I don't know why but I thought ....... if you can discover how to do a manoeuvre like this ........ with some perseverance..... you can overcome the circuit footprint issue.

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow night. ....... circuits.

Toto

Yes, for an axial roll, many models require a dab of down elevator when inverted, as otherwise the nose will drop.... for a perfectly axial roll, a dab of 'up' rudder at the appropriate time is needed as well.

Lots to learn once past the 'shove the stick over as far as it will go' stage!