Nimh receiver battery chargers

toto

I'm looking for a charger for my receiver batteries. 

Can anyone recommend one. Something basic will do.

My mentor mentioned soldering a lead directly onto one of my EC5 leads and plugging into my lipo battery chargers but dont like the sound of that. 

I'd rather have a purpose made on ..... any comments

Toto

I don't know what charger you have but most have a NiMh setting. However, I too prefer to use a separate charger on the basis that changing modes just introduces a bit more scope for human error! You might like to consider getting another general purpose charger though, rather than a NiMh-only one. That way you  would have the ability to charge two LiPos at once if you decide to go flying at short notice!

Trevor

• Like 2

Just found a " wall wart " type charger for this battery type. Come with a multi lead adaptor for £ 15.00 on Amazon... same day delivery.

Its on it's way.

I had to borrow a battery at the weekend when testing the Arising Star.

Problem sorted... but again ..... as always ... thanks for responding so quickly. Much appreciated.

Toto

2 hours ago, toto said:

Something basic will do.

How basic do you want?

I trickle charge mine with a 12v power brick, and a dropper resistor. This is chosen to give around 100mA current

At some point along the way I got all fancy and added an LED to let me know when the lead was plugged in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi GrumpGnome

I'm working of my Samsung pad at the moment until I'm into the shed later so not sure how to do a link. However, it is actually being delivered today by 10.00pm.

If I hit the shor prior to delivery, I'll do a link from my laptop ..... if it actually arrives before I hit the shed, I will photograph it and post it up.

Apologies for that.

Just checked again......

Details are as follows .....

NIMH Charger for 2 - 10s ... 2.4  - 12v NIMH / NICD battery packs

RC battery smart charger for RC car, boat,  plane, drone etc

Compatible with standard Tamiya, SM2p, JST, XH or futaba 

Brand HTRC

It's a 6 leads into one affair.

Toto

Edited by toto

Hi Phil,

Looks the same sort of spec but the actual lead on mine has 6 different plug connection types depending on which version is on your battery.

Thanks for posting this up though

Mines was meant to be delivered tonight ( same day ) if ordered before a certain time, which it was by at least two hours, now, they are saying tomorrow. Not that it really matters but I hate when they do that.you feel a little conned.

Cheers for now

Toto

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/07/2023 at 15:56, toto said:

Hi Phil,

Looks the same sort of spec but the actual lead on mine has 6 different plug connection types depending on which version is on your battery.

Mines was meant to be delivered tonight ( same day ) if ordered before a certain time, which it was by at least two hours, now, they are saying tomorrow. Not that it really matters but I hate when they do that.you feel a little conned.

Cheers for now

Toto

This has been my charger for the last number of years Toto.  Its charges every battery known to man kind.  Very safe and easy to use and can charge two batteries at the time.  

20230804_193759~2.jpg

On 18/07/2023 at 15:56, toto said:

Hi Phil,

Cheers for now

Toto

This is my small charger that i had for years Toto before I bought the big one.  I still take it with me to the field because of its convenient size and it charges my receiver and transmitter batteries when they get low between flights.   

20230804_195423.jpg

Hi Aidan ..... here is what I am running with at the moment ............

mostly the first two which can both adequately charge two at a time ......

My Spektrum Smart Charger .....

P1110496.thumb.JPG.5cf8e882d9c233a8ef38bd9f7217b3e7.JPG

and my ISDT charger .... again can do two at a time .....

P1110497.thumb.JPG.781057dfc4c7345292b697b88442d893.JPG

and last ..... this big beastie that can do 4 batteries at once at 100watts per channel ......

P1110498.thumb.JPG.cc9a9d063374c7b07916fb7f8773098a.JPG

I have not ventured into the 4 port as yet as I have been so used to using the others and I'm still trying to learn all they can do but once I get flying solo and will have the need for more models and batteries on any given day ..... they will all come into there own. I prefer to charge them on the night before and there is only so many you can get round with the two 2 port chargers.

thats where I am at the moment.

toto

• Like 1

And ..... here is my rather inadequate charging point .....

P1110499.thumb.JPG.d520ca4c9f12ca06ebd38784248d388c.JPG

chargers on a tray .... plastic ..... wouldn't stand a chance in a lipo fire. My batteries are exposed when on charge as I need more of these .....

smart extension leads to give me enough length to let the cables reach and enter a charging bag.

I'm on to it though and plan to have a better / safer regime in place shortly.

thats the theory anyway....

toto   

P1110500.JPG

• Like 1

People will think I'm paranoid: I wouldn't be but everyone keeps picking on me......

NIMH CHARGERS. Overlander RC6 VSR. Tried fast charging 6 volt 2500 nimh. My  checker was showing red light, so 're charge. Plugged in, charging at .5 mah as per. 

After 25 minutes, RC6 says full.....No way jose. False peak. Cannot changer setting from default in delta peak setting on RC6. 

This week nimhs and charging have done my head in. It seems everybody else can do it.... See, paranoid.......

Going back to my standard Futaba 300 mah wall charger.....

Albert

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Albert Ace said:

Gary, thanks. I have the exact same charger which came with my old FF9, about twenty years ago. The radio came with Nicads, will this charger be OK for Nimhs.??. 

Albert, the paranoid, Ace

It will be fine Albert ......All my RX Packs are NIMH and they get a full 14 hrs the night before i fly so they go on at 8pm friday and off at 10 am saturday

• Like 1