Z bend pliers ...... a new convert

toto

Well,

I've been made to eat my own words ...... previous statement ....... I don't like z bends in push rod connections ...... now altered to say ..... I love em ..... :classic_biggrin:

Bought myself a set of Z bend pliers and after trying them out, I can see how they can form an accurate and suitably " tight " fit.

I won't say I will be using them absolutely everywhere as some application are maybe not so suitable but .... there are a lot of common everyday examples where they will now be used.

Easy to do, accurate.... and quick. The first 5hing I had to do was work out where in the jaws the bend started so accurate measurement of the push rod could be measured and marked prior to lining up in the jaws.

Once you have this in your head ,... your good to go..

I'm now a convert. :classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 1

I’ve used them for years. I’ve found the trick is to use a marker pen to put a small mark on the wire exactly where you want the first bend to be (e.g. adjacent to the hole in the servo arm), then make sure you have the pliers the right way around before performing the bends.

• Like 1

They will hold a coveted place in my armoury going forward ...:classic_biggrin: they are easy to use .... even in my arthritic hands. :classic_biggrin:

I'm about to embark on another trainer assembly and these pliers could not have been delivered at a more convenient time.  A great time saving device as well as not as much time faffing around with grub screws and connectors etc. It also take away the potential failure through vibration etc.

It was not that I didn't like them at all, I just queried the potential for " slop " being built in but I think that concern has been evaporated.

Bring on the Z bends . :classic_biggrin:

Toto

• Like 2

One thing to add to the above.....

These were £ 18.00. Now I buy a lot of tools ( part of my previous sparky life ) and I believe good " qua

Ity " tools are worth every penny.

However, for any fellow newbie ..... I'd say " weigh it up first " as a purchase. If you think that you only intend involving yourself moderately in the hobby .... owning 2 or maybe 3 models max, then its £ 18.00 maybe better spent on something else. Especially if you are on a limited budget.

I'd say that on an average model, be it a trainer or whatever, you may yield on average a useage of say a dozen possible applications ( if you are lucky ) after which this tool could become redundant.

If the above scenario is true of you ..... it maybe better using the connections that come " in the box " modifying to improve reliability of these and spending the £18.00 on maybe better servo's or putting it towards an extra battery. ..... just a thought before anyone goes racing out there to buy a set. I'm not trying to take anything away from the fact that they are very good at what they are intended for.

Should you be looking to have a hangar load of models, even over time, then I'd say they are pretty indispensable.

Toto

I still dont know if I would justify the £18.00 on one model. There are other options and again, suggested for the budget conscious.

I tried making my own Z bends and agree, the were not up to the job so on the basis of " a correct tool for every job " you are 100% right.

Toto

I remember some Z bend pliers that had an adaptation with a pin you could put through the hole in the servo arm to help get the bend in the right place.  I have a 'normal' pair but anything to help getting the bend in the right place would be a great help.

36 minutes ago, toto said:

I still dont know if I would justify the £18.00 on one model. <SNIP>

The  "one model" state was passed some time ago, with hardly a blink, as I recall ;-)

Happens in other past-times too, and is formalised in a "rule" world of cycling:

12. // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

The  "one model" state was passed some time ago, with hardly a blink, as I recall 😉

Happens in other past-times too, and is formalised in a "rule" world of cycling:

12. // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

As regards pedal cycles, I'm fortunate that my wife is as enthusiastic as I am, though I probably have more.  We also have a shared bicycle (a Cannondale tandem).  The vast majority of our holidays involve cycling - at one time seriously but not so much now.

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

As regards pedal cycles, I'm fortunate that my wife is as enthusiastic as I am, though I probably have more.  We also have a shared bicycle (a Cannondale tandem).  The vast majority of our holidays involve cycling - at one time seriously but not so much now.

Lucky man.

My wife has tried, however isn't confident cycling. The last attempt involved a pedal assist bike and one to one lessons, however it didn't do the trick.

Upside is I I have a long leash, so bicycling adventures are very much on the agenda.

20 hours ago, Geoff S said:

I have a 'normal' pair but anything to help getting the bend in the right place would be a great help.

Dead easy really:

Measure the length of rod you need.

Subtract 5/16.

Put edge of pliers at that point.

Bend.

Done.

16 hours ago, Geoff S said:

This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

I have three bikes, one of which I don't need and should get rid of, because I'm too old to be doing downhill riding.

On the other hand, my wife definitely owns 's-1' bikes. Seven or eight, or maybe nine, last count, depending on whether you count the one that was mislaid and last seen at the in-laws house many years ago.

They take up a lot more storage space than toy planes.

However, even too many bikes are a lot cheaper than one horse, which she used to do when younger.

Swings and roundabouts.

• 2 weeks later...

If you keep the link rod short (servo near the control surface?) you can use soft 'paper slip' wire.

You can then make a small 'inline' Z bend using needle nose pliers. If is not quite inline it is easy to bend it so that it is.

SoftWireZ.JPG.b48a8dd3f5b72e8ea222c82facc3e566.JPG 

If you get the length wrong you can always make another, paper clips are cheap.

Not suitable for everyone but it suites my 'small & light' principles