Vintage Twinjet Refurbishment Project

Acquired in a pretty much written off state but I like the Multiplex Twinjet and a challenge. This one like many seems to have suffered attempts to overpower it so lots of holes, breaks... Still "In for a penny in for a pound", which is what I paid. I am going to use matched 480 contrary running brushed motors and single ESC, but a 2 or 3 cell small lipo.

IMG_20230806_143608.jpg

IMG_20230806_143559.jpg

• Like 1

Advert

First stage, remove old decals and fill holes using pu foaming glue covered with paper tape to allow curing without over foaming. Next the nacelles had been badly glassed and need sanding and filling. I've glued the nose back on and am working on removing the old balsa stiffener that was in several parts anyway, as I need access to the hollow motor wires bay. I removed the old plastic " inner tube" as it too was cracked . I will need to think around that.

IMG_20230808_191223.jpg

IMG_20230808_191214.jpg

IMG_20230808_191154.jpg

IMG_20230808_191141.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Are you intending to retain the brushed motors?  One of the reasons I didn't persist with updating my Twinjet was the difficulty of fitting reasonably priced brushless motors was because of the rotating outer case fouling the mounting recess.  New servos isn't so much of a problem.

Yes that's pretty much my thinking. Also much thinner motor wire to fit the grooves in the wing. Plus I just wanted to fly like the original. It must have been ok with brushed to stay so popular. That said filling the fuse with nicds is not for me! Lipo system should be lighter and brushed maybe enough thrust. Plus I'm just cheap!

Yes I baulked at £40 for 2 inrunners as I only paid £1 for the airframe! If the 2 cell lipo lacks thrust from the 480s, I am going to try out an intelligent lion battery which is a 4 cell pack of Samsung 25R 18650 2500mAh High drain cells (rated 20amp continuous) but with a built in charger/input/ output electronic device that can output 9 volts. On a 2 s lipo at 7.4v the current draw is 26amps at WOT on 5.5x4.5 props. I will also try 6x4 props when they arrive.

it looks like with lithium cells there will be room for a weighty pack to balance the model.

What I did when I wanted to replace the 480 with an outrunner in my Zagi was to take the guts of the 480 out just leaving the metal can/shell. I mounted the new outrunner to the front of the 480 can and then stuck the can back in place as originally mounted and it has worked very well. If I remember correctly I used a bit of 3mm ply as an adaptor plate to match the holes on the front of the 480 can and the X mount of the outrunner. Thinking of doing the same when I "outrunner" my Twinjet. Solves the mounting issue, allows cheaper outrunners and prevents motor heat loosening the mounting glue. HTH

This is of my Zagi. You can see the old empty can of the original motor, part held by the ziptie. You can also see the 3mm ply adaptor plate .

When I come to do it on the twinjet I will mount each ESC in the wing like the servos and run the wires in a slot cut in the foam. If the slot needs to be quite wide I will glue a piece of stripwood on top of the wires to fill the slot.

20230830_091247.jpg

20230830_091311.jpg

• 2 months later...

Outwards canted twin stabilizers have their tips outside the disturbed airflow from the frame, they get much cleaner air and can function better. F-35 and F-18 do not have thrust vectoring, but they can still fly very controllably at very high alpha angles because of their canted twin tails.