"1 Stroke" INNengine REX-B 1S-125cc

Paul De Tourtoulon

I think, the motor has 4 cylinders, RCV style ( sleeve valve ), with the cam track controlling the ins and outs of pistons and gases. I assume the square bit on the back is the carb. Very clever, or too clever by half. Sleeve valves have a chequered history. 

I have seen the video, the term "one stroke" is a misleading to say the least. The engine is a wobble drive or more correctly a swashplate drive with pistons that lay along the side of the drive shaft.

Nothing new here, this type of engine first appeared in the early 20th century.

There is even a model version that was available at one time called the Aero 35.

aero35_3.jpg

• Like 1

I cant decide if i dislike the music track more or less than the sound of the engine. 

Interesting idea, but as has already been mentioned its an old concept and like the wankel rotary, its been done before and not ended up a massive success. 

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

I nominate Napier Deltic for having done the compact opposed piston thing, very successfully, a fair long time ago. Although that did not weigh 35kg.

I think a number of diesel engines use opposing pistons. If memory serves the cranks are slightly out of phase to give the required port timing. 

The Deltic is a 2 stroke diesel with 36 pistons but only 18 cylinders with  ports in the cyl liners.   Configured as a triangle - somewhat like 3 Vee 12's fixed together head to head with the three crankcases geared together.  Or the smaller 18 cyl version like 3 Vee 6's.   Alloy cylinder blocks too.   Used in railway engines and in ships as generator engines.  See Wikipedia for an animated view of how this engine works.  Deltic was developed from a Jumo diesel aircraft engine.

I think the Deltic con rods were different lengths to produce a scavenging effect.   People in the Colchester factory could be heard talking about " exhaust con-rods" which seemed odd to someone who knew  a bit about ordinary engines but little about Deltics!

1960's Commer lorries also had opposed cyl engines which made a very distinctive 'knocking' noise.

None of these weird engine layouts seem to last -eventually everything reverts to an ordinary layout.

1 hour ago, Simon Chaddock said:

No mention of exhaust emissions.

Oil in fuel 2 strokes, which is what it is, are noted for incomplete combustion and limited scavenging let alone any unburnt oil in the exhaust.

Only if the crankcase is used to charge the cylinder, modern fuel injection also stops unburnt fuel escaping in the exhaust. These engines are usually fed by a supercharger/turbo so the crank is lubricated just like a 4 stroke.

2 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Surely if the crankcase is used to charge the cylinders then lubricating oil will pass into the cylinder.

In a 4 stroke the crankcase and cams are sealed from the combustion chamber so no oil, or virtually none, gets into the combustion process.

Yes, but these engines use an alternative charge method so no air/fuel passes through the crankcase. The one stroke state that exhaust velocity is such that in creates a partial vacuum in the cylinder which draws in fresh charge, theres a review of it Here

Back in the seventies, before Norton Villiers went bust they were working on a stepped piston twin cylinder two stroke, look up Wulf engine, with modern fuel injection it would have been very clean.Frank

At university one of our engine test bays had an opposed piston two stroke tank engine which used a combination of turbo and mechanical supercharger to feed the engine.

14 hours ago, kc said:

I think the Deltic con rods were different lengths to produce a scavenging effect. 

in each pair of pistons, one was slightly "ahead" of the other; one of the pistons controlled the exhaust valves, the other controlled the inlet. (I think).

at 4:21 in this video

15 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

No mention of exhaust emissions.

Oil in fuel 2 strokes, which is what it is, are noted for incomplete combustion and limited scavenging let alone any unburnt oil in the exhaust

Deltic was supercharged; inlet went straight to combustion chamber. I expect it is probably outclassed in terms of emissions by modern 4 stroke diesels of course, but the Deltic was from a time long before direct cylinder injection and the fine control that current ECUs provide, but there was no oil in the chambers.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Deltic was supercharged; inlet went straight to combustion chamber. I expect it is probably outclassed in terms of emissions by modern 4 stroke diesels of course, but the Deltic was from a time long before direct cylinder injection and the fine control that current ECUs provide, but there was no oil in the chambers.

I think the Deltic definitely would not pass any emission regulations, have you seen the clouds of smoke emitted by Deltic and other diesels of that generation when they start up!

Fantastic sound though!

Anyway.

Back to the OP.

This engine, it has 4 pistons, who cares if 2 or 4 stroke. I see nothing but convention going on with the business end of the piston. Whilst they're squashed into a tiny volume, they are regular pistons. Air cooling might be problematic with the low volume? Liquid cooled, I guess no real difference to a conventional layout.

The conrods have a 'device' to get linear motion translated into rotary motion. That part looks like a disaster waiting to happen... I'm guessing tolerance and wear will make operational lifespan of this unit really very low.

I just can't see the genuine advantage over (say) a regular radial or flat layout. Maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe not. After all, Mazda have been making Wankel rotaries for years and they haven't really caught on.

Also, I call shenanigans on their power output vs displacement claims. Their claim of "1 stroke" isn't precisely confidence inspiring when it comes to veracity of their media output.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 1