Winter projects

Daren Cogdon

Nice size Ron, I have the Royal plans for the B17 78"span,  not long ago there was some profile B17's on the forum can't remember where but I am thinking of doing a profile one from foamboard.  Started a Brian Taylor Corsair two weeks ago but will cease build when Richard's FW190 arrives. 

20231204_202405.jpg

• Like 2

Rabid Models sell a profile B17, 45" wingspan. If I do progress mine it will be the same construction as the others, box section fuse with a KFm4 wing section. Both the wing area and tailplane area have been increased from pure scale and it will utilise the same 2212 1200 motors as the other models. The only other thing I'm pondering over is the battery, the Mossie uses 2 x 1300mAh 3s in the nacelles, so I could go for 4 x those or with 2 (1 per wing) or just 1 in the main fuselage. 

PS, like the Corsair

1 hour ago, Ron Gray said:

Rabid Models sell a profile B17, 45" wingspan. If I do progress mine it will be the same construction as the others, box section fuse with a KFm4 wing section. Both the wing area and tailplane area have been increased from pure scale and it will utilise the same 2212 1200 motors as the other models. The only other thing I'm pondering over is the battery, the Mossie uses 2 x 1300mAh 3s in the nacelles, so I could go for 4 x those or with 2 (1 per wing) or just 1 in the main fuselage. 

PS, like the Corsair

Thanks Ron, my 71"span foamboard Mosquito has 2 3s 3000 in the fuselage one per motor, the esc's are in the wing radiator positions. My Sunderland has the same batteries in the fuselage one for the outer motors and one for the inners. 

• 2 weeks later...

That particular fatty Me109 with the profile fuselage doesn't have a plan as such. My pal Bob just drew it up on the depron. based on the profile Spittie dogfighter sat next to it. Both are now in my fleet.

The fatty Me109 with the built up depron fuselage can be downloaded at this page.

https://numavig.com/plans/Messerschmitt-Bf-109-cartoon/

Edited by leccyflyer
added video link
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

That particular fatty Me109 with the profile fuselage doesn't have a plan as such. My pal Bob just drew it up on the depron. based on the profile Spittie dogfighter sat next to it. Both are now in my fleet.

The fatty Me109 with the built up depron fuselage can be downloaded at this page.

https://numavig.com/plans/Messerschmitt-Bf-109-cartoon/

I built one of these from a sketch! It flies better than it has any right to...

Graham960580403_me1090502234.thumb.JPG.299d730f9dc00f88e49e2d71646538d7.JPG817199198_me1090502231.thumb.JPG.801a5c2c1d38b03b8a85a654d9b956d8.JPG

• Like 2

My big winter project is reaching the 'exciting' stage! 

74" span (1/6scale) Spitfire Mk1. This will be based on P9374, which was the subject of a book Peter Miller very kindly gave me. It crashed onto the beach in Calais in 1940, and sank into the sand. It was recovered in the 80s, and rebuilt to flying condition. I love a back-story, so this had to be done.

It's mostly depron (laminate flooring underlay from B&Q), but with some balsa and ply in order to keep it all into line at this scale. It is a proper 'full fat' model with retracts and flaps, and a reasonable amount of scale detail, thanks to Mick Reeves. It's (hopefully) going to fly on 6S, and will be covered in glass cloth, applied with B&Q water based varnish (I am not affiliated with B&Q, other DIY stores exist... ;-)). It will be painted with emulsion, and finished in the Richard Wills school of scale. It is intended to look great in the air, good on the ground at 10 ft, and only certain angles permitted to view closer than that....

Target weight is around 7 lb. Given that Mick Reeves superb kits fly incredibly well at 12lb plus, this should get up OK. In fact, as Richard puts it, it may be at risk of flying like a bin bag in any sort of wind... However, it's several hundred meters from the car park to our strip, and I'm gonna need several tea breaks carrying a 12lb model that far.

The thing to note here is how versatile foam/ foamboard/ depron can be. From others on here we have very quick build/ low cost models that take the (financial) fear out of flying and allow us to just enjoy, but it's also possible to make decent and very practical scale models.

I'm always up for a chat about this if anyone is getting interested. Just as an appetiser, prior to my WR FW190 build, I'm going to make a 'Dusty Crophopper' from the Disney film 'Planes' (a great watch, btw!) as my grandson is obsessed with this...

Graham

spitfire 201223 1.jpg

spitfire 201223 2.jpg

• Like 4