So what plans can I buy instead

Sam Longley

58 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

I had a look at Hanger One too, never heard of them before but looks like they have a great range of kits.

But, they are in New Zealand and by the time VAT, import duty and shipping is added they are going to be mighty expensive kits.

Did not click with that. Always something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if they would email plans.

Edited by Sam Longley

Advert

18 hours ago, Sam Longley said:

That is a brilliant link. with the sort of planes I was looking for. Many have good pedigree. Any idea what the quality of the fit of components is like- have you actually built one?

But thanks anyway

Built 3. Great wood and fit. Almost fall together. 

But note I'm in NZ so biased!

20210224_191916.jpg

On 23/09/2023 at 20:20, Sam Longley said:

You have frightened me now. I am in a dilema .I would rather not buy second hand though. Thanks. I will spend some time reading that post you have linked that will take some time there is a lot of info to absorb me thinks.

I built the lite a few years ago and don’t recall it being a headache at all Flies like a Gangster as well. Mine has warped in damp storage and still flies well albeit with an embarrassing amount of aileron trim . I don’t know if the Seagull challenger is still available it kit form That’s a nice model

On 28/09/2023 at 08:31, gangster said:

I built the lite a few years ago and don’t recall it being a headache at all Flies like a Gangster as well. Mine has warped in damp storage and still flies well albeit with an embarrassing amount of aileron trim . I don’t know if the Seagull challenger is still available it kit form That’s a nice model

A friend of mine had a Seagull & it virtually fellapart in flight. The gluing was useless. He had to run glue round all the fuss. But the wings had the same issue. I had one & as usual I ran epoxy over the main stress points by the engine. I did a couple of hard landings & it fell apart. I would not have another. I had a Hanger 9 Sbach of the same size with same engine & that was brilliant. Flew much better as well.

2 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Interesting.

My Seagull Spacewalker is beautifully built - much better than my H9 Valiant. This is my second Valiant... my first one was far superior in build quality.

In my experience, all QC is a little 'patchy'. Including premium brands

14 hours ago, Sam Longley said:

A friend of mine had a Seagull & it virtually fellapart in flight. The gluing was useless. He had to run glue round all the fuss. But the wings had the same issue. I had one & as usual I ran epoxy over the main stress points by the engine. I did a couple of hard landings & it fell apart. I would not have another. I had a Hanger 9 Sbach of the same size with same engine & that was brilliant. Flew much better as well.

Seagull make models for Hangar9! See this screen grab from a Seagull factory tour, from their shipping department.

image.thumb.png.ddc29cb95f52a80da27f8673ff0bbf87.png

• Like 4

It might be worth considering Peter Miller’s Oodalally if you fancy a build. The kit set consists of the plan, cnc parts and additional wood pack to complete. It is available from Sarik Hobbies (currently £151 reduced from £178 ). There is free shipping too. 
I thought it good value so I just bought one as my Winter build.

Peter’s prototype was for IC  but mine will be an electric conversion.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

2 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

It might be worth considering Peter Miller’s Oodalally if you fancy a build. The kit set consists of the plan, cnc parts and additional wood pack to complete. It is available from Sarik Hobbies (currently £151 reduced from £178 ). There is free shipping too. 
I thought it good value so I just bought one as my Winter build.

Peter’s prototype was for IC  but mine will be an electric conversion.

What isthe plan like? Is it fairly easy to follow? If you have had a chance to look at the details & the goods that you have received are you happy, or do you see any problems? Do you think you can see any awkward bits in the build? What power pack do you propose using to give it a good push?

Do you know anyone that has one or are you just taking a punt at how it will fly?

Sorry to give you a barrage of questions but it does not look too bad albeit a bit small. But i am going cold turkey now & must do something soon

Sam L

The build thread is here.

Peter has designed over 200 model planes ( and one boat!), many of which have been published in RCM&E. Most of  his designs are simple builds and all fly well. Many Oodalallys have been built and flown successfully, which was why I didn’t hesitate to press ‘buy’! 
I have the free plan that came in the RCM&E April 2013 edition, I think, but it is in storage at the mo as I have just moved house. I will get a new plan with the kit when it arrives from Sarik. They usually take about a week to ten days to deliver as they cut the kits to order. Hope that helps.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Sam on page 4 of the very long thread I linked to, there is a discussion about the LE length of some of the ribs being ‘wrong’! Despite this many models have been built from the plan without too much head scratching. It didn’t put me off at any rate, but I thought I would give you the heads up on it anyway, since you asked.

6 hours ago, John Lee said:

Seagull make models for Hangar9! See this screen grab from a Seagull factory tour, from their shipping department.

image.thumb.png.ddc29cb95f52a80da27f8673ff0bbf87.png

Obviously we can only speak as we find.

I speak from my own experience & that of my friends at the flying club. If every Seagull was poorly presented, then they would be selling a lot less. Problem is that it is clear that some get through the sytem

As for making items for other suppliers it is a bit like the "made in china" issue. People order stuff from China & say that when it comes it is poor quality. However, I know of companies in the UK that use the same Chinese companies & because they supply different specs & have onsite staff to check stuff is made to those specs before they leave that factory, the supplies are exactly as required. It may be that Hanger 9 do actually have a higher spec to that required by Seagull s own product dept. I do not know & can only surmize. I have not had enough H 9 products to say either way. My reviews, therefore, have to be qualified as "limited"

40 minutes ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Sam on page 4 of the very long thread I linked to, there is a discussion about the LE length of some of the ribs being ‘wrong’! Despite this many models have been built from the plan without too much head scratching. It didn’t put me off at any rate, but I thought I would give you the heads up on it anyway, since you asked.

👍

The advantage of building a Peter Miller design is that the designer himself is often on the forum here to help if needed.   They are well proven designs with many forum members having built from the plans.   Note that there is a simple but unusual wing building sequence.  Just follow the instructions and it works. 

It's worth noting that the Sarik sets of cut parts are not really the same as a 'kit'  -  Sarik don't supply the engine mount, tank, u/c, snakes, clevis, linkages, nuts bolts etc often included in many kits.  

Piers, I think I was the person who mentioned the rib sizes!   I ran a ruler over the plan and found some of the ribs were correct while those printed at 90 degrees were slightly wrong, probably due to the photo copier used - some distort slightly in one direction.    ( not the plane designers fault! )   However I would expect that this would be rectified when the lasercut drawings were done.   Maybe?

You are right kc it was your sharp eyes that spotted it, but like you I won’t count on this anomaly being corrected!

Personally not being supplied with hardware like a fuel tank and engine mount ( for my electric model), wheels that are too small for my grass field and ‘rubbish’ control horns that I consign to the bin, is a plus. I would rather pay for good quality balsa than hardware in a kit that I will never use.

• Like 1

I see that Peter Miller bought a set of Oodalally parts from Sarik recently and built an electric version of Oodalally from them, so presumably he found the ribs fitted OK.   Some hint that this recent electric version will be in RCME soon. All at the end of the original article.

It will be interesting to know whether Sarik supply a reprint of the original article with the plan and parts.   I recently scanned that article for somebody and it's still on my computer if you need a copy Piers ( or Sam )

Another one to consider Sam if you fancy building something a bit bigger is Peter Miller’s ‘Little Miss Honky Tonk’. It has a 59inch span and a very low wing loading of under 16oz/squ ft. Peter’s original model was powered by an SC 52 four stroke. The Sarik short kit is £199 (also on offer) here.

Peter’s build thread is here.

As you can see, it has a parallel chord wing which makes it a little more straightforward to build.

The recommended electric setup from 4Max is this motor turning an 12 x 6 prop on a 3300mAh, 4s LiPo.  Incase you are tempted!

Edited by Piers Bowlan

22 hours ago, Sam Longley said:

Obviously we can only speak as we find.

I speak from my own experience & that of my friends at the flying club. If every Seagull was poorly presented, then they would be selling a lot less. Problem is that it is clear that some get through the sytem

As for making items for other suppliers it is a bit like the "made in china" issue. People order stuff from China & say that when it comes it is poor quality. However, I know of companies in the UK that use the same Chinese companies & because they supply different specs & have onsite staff to check stuff is made to those specs before they leave that factory, the supplies are exactly as required. It may be that Hanger 9 do actually have a higher spec to that required by Seagull s own product dept. I do not know & can only surmize. I have not had enough H 9 products to say either way. My reviews, therefore, have to be qualified as "limited"

I've assembled five Hangar 9 and two Graupner (also made by Seagull back in the day) balsa ARTF's. All were really well made, needed no modifications & had a long life before I sold them on, I now just have a Pulse 40 left from that collection. I have flown quite a few Seagull models, they all seemed OK, nothing more, but I have never assembled one so I also cannot make a direct comparison as to their construction. However I suspect that your surmise may well be correct.