Building a building board

toto

6 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

When I tried kitchen cling film because I couldn't find anything else, I found that Cyano melted and stuck to it and caused all sorts of trouble when removing the workpiece from it. PVA is no problem of course. Should have made that clear.

Not found much problem with cyano when I’ve used it.  Occasional rip when removing but easily pulled remnants off. 

8 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Not found much problem with cyano when I’ve used it.  Occasional rip when removing but easily pulled remnants off. 

Must be different types of material used between brands. I know that the built up wing that I assembled with cyano on the cling film raided from the kitchen welded itself to the rib and spar juctions where the cyano had wicked into it underneath. Same thing with the bottom spars where I'd been a bit over generous with the Cyano and it had wicked along underneath the spar. Terrible job making it good, as the cling film that I used tore away and left what  remained securely welded to the part. A lot of fiddling and careful sanding to remove most of it. Maybe some Cyanos react differently as well?

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

As suggested a few posts ago ..... I decided to stiffen up the building board by adding a couple of bits of cross bracing ......

using some 12mm ply ....

P1110810.thumb.JPG.e65bf41788cddd4093f7069a35af96dc.JPG

on goes the first ......

P1110811.thumb.JPG.7deb8db63a1d8306a730d78a0e96a524.JPG

and then the second ....

P1110812.thumb.JPG.83c2173b2622cf525ed028548f6e140f.JPG

two should be ample.

thats that for now until my Sundeala arrives .... hopefully tomorrow.

cheers

toto

I was wondering when that was going to be suggested .... 😄 .... I probably should have just done that whilst I was at it but two of the pieces fell rather nicely into the measurement of the piece that I cut ..... 😄 I'll get around to a third piece when I next get the jigsaw out again.

toto

Hi Geoff

Started out in OO scale but now working in O Gauge. Much easier on the eyes.

I am exhibiting with my buddy next weekend in Dundee Model Railway Exhibition with my mates layout. The first I've done in ages.

My eyes would not stand up to N Gauge.

Cheers

Toto.

Very quick visit to B and Q ........ in and out. No hanging about.

A couple of small tins of contact adhesive now ready for the fixing of the Sundeala surface onto the MDF. I'll have to read the tin for drying times but I'd be guessing at a couple of hours at least.

More on that when I hit  the shed later.

Cheers

Toto

Well .....

So much for modularisation with building products..

I nipped out to the shed with my Sundeala board and played it out on top of the MDF base board. The MDF baseboard is standard width of 1220mm as all board products come in. The Sundeala board is about an inch short. There is a bit scrap left over which I can patch a bit in but it's not ideal.

I was always under the impression that Sundeala would have came from the usual overall dimensions of 2440 x 1220 as the other board products do.

Obviously not so. Not a big deal but would have been a bit neater.

Whinge over ..... move on.

Toto 

Back in the shed and horsing on with the building board.

P1110819.thumb.JPG.4172d2f6491b3facbd339d61ddf1aaf2.JPG

The Sundeala .... about an inch short ..... Booooooo

P1110818.thumb.JPG.f7e9d45db4835e30de55820122199c13.JPG

cut the extra length of the board to give me some spare ....

P1110820.thumb.JPG.d790feee185fc03f02dc936924125171.JPG

Huzzarrrrrrr .... gap filled ..... but not really the desired finish. ... never mind.

P1110821.thumb.JPG.270272e799b99a3492ac08ea49bc8161.JPG

The weapon of choice ..... Evo Stick impact adhesive ..... spread all over the MDF surface but no photo's as my hands got covered in the stuff and it was very quickly starting to dry out / become tacky so just kept going. You don't get a second chance with this stuff.

P1110822.thumb.JPG.f7f53c8165e6c7c78111a114f165ddbc.JPG

Started to clamp the finish down once I had squared it up. Again .... be prepared for this prior to letting the two surfaces touch as ..... just as it says on the tin ..... the first touch grabs like a child in a sweet shop.

P1110823.thumb.JPG.362871c6d247f40acfadc201575f8e89.JPG

and weighed down the middle as well. 

Unfortunately, this takes up to 24 hours to fully set so there will not be much more going on with this for the time being ..... but ...... I have a cunning plan .... I am a little bit concerned about the edges taking a bit of a hit during storage ..... I have an idea so watch the space.

toto

1 hour ago, toto said:

Well .....

So much for modularisation with building products..

I nipped out to the shed with my Sundeala board and played it out on top of the MDF base board. The MDF baseboard is standard width of 1220mm as all board products come in. The Sundeala board is about an inch short. There is a bit scrap left over which I can patch a bit in but it's not ideal.

I was always under the impression that Sundeala would have came from the usual overall dimensions of 2440 x 1220 as the other board products do.

Obviously not so. Not a big deal but would have been a bit neater.

Whinge over ..... move on.

Toto 

What size of Sundeala did you order?  Did you receive exactly what you had ordered?

Hi Leccy,

I'll need to check. To be honest ..... if my memory serves me right .... the description did say 1200 x 600mm which would be correct .... ie .... what I got. I thought this might just have been a typo error and the 1200 mm .... should have read 1220 mm. Obviously not. 

You just think ..... Nah .... thats an error it will come the standard size 1220mm wide.

no big deal.

Following on from the above ...... I used some scrap timber to do the following protective edge .......

P1110827.thumb.JPG.261653f527cdfe3f40deb0bc0c29457f.JPG

As said ..... it was scrap that really I wanted rid of. I had it lying in a pile on the shed floor getting in the way ...... so ..... why not use it.

P1110826.thumb.JPG.220b482c7db51a29386127d9799de613.JPG

The other side ....

P1110828.thumb.JPG.fa55e72ca95c0fce2aaffe9c120de880.JPG

an end going on ...... not the prettiest ... but serves a purpose.

P1110829.thumb.JPG.a068edce8f2d3d85dd29558fb8ca05b8.JPG

and the other end ........ Now ..... all I need is crane hire.

cheers for now

toto

P1110824.JPG

In order to mark the completion of my builders board build .... I thought it only fit and proper to christen it....

So ..... I give you " Bob " the building board.

P1110832.thumb.JPG.c69f46d61c089e0b20b7045738966277.JPG

I did put out invites for the occasion ...... but nobody turned up ....... can't understand why.

toto

• Haha 1