Aeromodelling Quiz

Nick Cripps

Advert

57 minutes ago, Nick Cripps said:

Also a bit more explanation on question 3. Like many other inventions, there is some controversy over who actually flew models by control-line for the first time but, rather like the Wright brothers claimed the first powered flight, Jim Walker patented the idea and was very good at marketing himself. Worth reading up on him too - his flying of 3 control-line models at the same time was extraordinary.

"Jim" Walker who's actual name was Nevilles E Walker [ one can understand why he called himself "Jim" with a first name like that] did many public displays flying his Fireball design 3 up at once, One handle in each hand with the third controlled by fitting on his helmet!

Nice pic of Jim doing just this in R G Moulton's  control line manual.

• Like 1

Its amazing how quickly single channel disappeared.  In the 1971 RCM&E back issues I bought later, there were still plans for single channel models, yet when I first started getting RCM&E regularly in early 1976,  the only reference to it by then was in the title of 'Sport & Single', although I don't recall any single channel actually being covered. 

I appreciate that more recently Phil Green & Shaun Garrity have done a grand job of getting single channel back in use.

5 hours ago, J D 8 said:

"Jim" Walker who's actual name was Nevilles E Walker [ one can understand why he called himself "Jim" with a first name like that] did many public displays flying his Fireball design 3 up at once, One handle in each hand with the third controlled by fitting on his helmet!

Nice pic of Jim doing just this in R G Moulton's  control line manual.

Been going through some ancient aeromodelling books in my library that I  saved from being dumped, and I came across a piece on Jim Walker that refers to a party piece that he did called 'the sabre dance'............sort of control line prop hanging by the looks of it.

Quick Google and hey presto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnGz2VUGTZ0

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I hope we can all get 5/5 on this round!

Not without cheating. 

0/5 for me with 100% confidence.

I can hazard a guess at Q11 but am somewhat confused by the question as i do not recall seeing that phraseology before and dont really know what its asking me. Are spectators at a show considered uninvolved? If it means what i think it does (eg, dog walkers on the path behind the field i fly at) the minimum is irrelevant as i would give them as much space as was possible anyway. 

I dont think Q12 can be answered without the weight of the model? 7kg +- etc. 

Q13 i can again guess, but not with total confidence. I work on the basis that FRZ = no fly 

Q14 again i dont fully understand the question. I assume this is the same limit as the jump to LMA stuff? If so i know the answer, as long as they didnt change the limit again. 

Q15 simply cant remember. I must have read it when the regs came out but once i realised i was too old for it to matter its clearly faded from memory. 

I think it unfair and unrealistic to expect every detail of the regs to be memorised. I remember the bits that matter to me, at my flying site, and apply to my models on a day to day basis. If anything changes and i need to remind myself, i can just look it up. 

not being able to recall a reg verbatim, but knowing it exists, knowing the general point its trying to make, and looking it up when needed for greater clarity, is a far cry from just flat out ignoring them and flying your drone at heathrow. 

• Like 1

It’s a just for fun quiz but we should perhaps bear in mind that the associations’ credibility is based on confidence that their members are aware of the legislation pertaining to model flying. 

Having multiple claims from people who are regular model fliers claiming scant knowledge of the regulations wouldn’t reflect well.  I’m fully aware that in most cases the fact, for example, that we’re aware that there’s a minimum age for OP IDs is sufficient but we should all know minimum operating distances without having to check. 

I see you’ve addressed some of this while I was typing Jon!

• Like 2

i wasnt planning to make a song and dance out of it Martin.

I was just trying to say that while i cannot offhand recall the reg for minimum distance to bystanders, i do know we are supposed to give them space and, frankly, its common sense to not try and give members of the public a hair cut with the prop anyway so i always try and give the most space i can. To me it shouldnt even need a reg! 

I accept your point though, and i eagerly await the correct answers. 

Were this not a quiz i would have posted my guesses as i suspect i am not a million miles off, just far enough to not get a point! 

Its a bit like braking distances for cars, we could sing them out for the driving test but after so many years dammed if I know, more so now they are in meters. But I do know how much space my car needs at different speeds.

If you asked a dozen people to point to a spot 100 meters away you would likely get a dozen different results. A bit like asking here Whats the best radio make/model to have?

• Like 2