EBay Sellers.....

Robert Cracknell

13 hours ago, Robert Cracknell said:

EBay 126184068482

Seems a bargain at only £500!

He also says '' The engine is in excellent working condition and has been well-maintained.'' ! Of course it has, looks perfect!

Out of interest I bought one of these, for nostalgia reasons, a few months ago for £20 virtually unused in its box.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed the relisting this morning. I did offer £5, but it was rejected! So today I messaged the seller pointing out that the presentation of the engine on a 'test stand'  wasn't helping because it suggested the engine had been run but probably left with fuel in it so the bearings would be corroded  and the ring would also be corroded and as it is a Dykes ring quite hard to find a replacement. I suggested relisting it at £1, I'll wait, but not holding my breath, for a reply

Given that Tracy Emin sold her Tent as art for £12000, the seller should come up with a back story about what his Irvine 40 and rustic test stand represents and see if the Tate Gallery are interested.

I though the dust encrusted Phoenix Classic Trainer that I bought, with a bramble growing through the wing (retrieved from a derelict shed that was being demolished) had some artistic value.  I was going to offer it entitled, 'Abandoned Hobby'.

In addition to its general decreptitude, I thought the colour scheme covered in rivets, access panels and such like was so truly awful it needed preserving.

845947560_PhoenixClassicTrainer.thumb.jpg.0dd2cf0d103160db7f344004f434ab76.jpg

Edited by Robin Colbourne

I thought I'd heard of ads being setup with a ludicrous price (which obviously won’t sell) just as a placeholder, to get an item onto a website, which they intend to amend once they’ve established a proper price. Although I admit that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Very odd. Having had my offer instantly rejected, presumably by some automated process I decided to look at pink-lions other items. I fully expected theusual'house clearance' listings. No mostly footware, all new from apparently different sources all at quite high prices and all with no bids. I've watched several items end oer the past 3=4 hours none have sold.

Thoughts about the seller. 1. Disposing of the proceeds of crime. 2. Someonewith a shopping addiction trying to fund their habit. 3 Someone on a creative writing course or sales course. Most of the descriptions are well written in an attractive style.

Pink-lion has only been trading since September. Your gueses?

8 hours ago, Robin Colbourne said:

The odd thing is that pink_lion sold the same Irvine 40 on 30 October for £17.  Something odd going on!

Irvine 40 sold on 30 October

8 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

When the asking prices are so obviously outrageous, it usually has something to do with money laundering. 

The item "for sale" probably only exists on paper. 

I think there is nothing sinister going on- certainly not money laundering, someone doing that won't be listing junk on eBay for junk money. The reason for the re-listing may be nothing more sinister than the original "winner" failed to claim his prize once sanity set in.

It is more likely someone with time on their hands, who genuinely has no idea of the worth of the item they are trying to sell. On my local Gumtree, there are two people, one selling a Veron Impala wing for £10, and the other selling a Cox Star Wars Landspeeder for £120.  The listings have been relisted for years (I only know because when I casually search for 'model' they come up). I think the people behind these things have no knowledge of the hobby, suspect that something they have has some hidden worth, and are waiting for it to be suddenly recognised as a bargain.

17 hours ago, Arthur Harris said:

I think there is nothing sinister going on- certainly not money laundering, someone doing that won't be listing junk on eBay for junk money. The reason for the re-listing may be nothing more sinister than the original "winner" failed to claim his prize once sanity set in.

The thing I thought was odd was not the re-listing, but the repricing at £500 when it had clearly started at £17 or less, previously.

20 hours ago, Paul Marsh said:

I must be rich, if my engines are worth £500 each, then i'm a millionare!!!

I have nearly 2000 engines, and the photo is only the unboxed 2 strokes, with over 500 in boxes, plus the models as well. and a few more 4 strokes without boxes not pictured.

406325158_10160813217761210_4921081233099299189_n.jpg

Paul, I'm going to frame that and put it in my modelling room with a caption, "Normal modeller behaviour - Live with it!"

I've just shown my girlfriend your picture, and her comment was, "At least he keeps them all in one room".  To avoid a fight, can you please assure me that you have other rooms that look similar? 😄

Edited by Robin Colbourne
Wrong name