Piston Rings

Derek Williams

Hi, 

Im trying to restore an OS FS 48 that wasn’t performing as good as it used to.

I discovered that the piston ring had jammed in its groove and proved impossible to get out without breaking it.

so I need to replace it and was horrified at the cost of an OS ring and remembered reading on this site about someone that manufactured rings.

can you help me with any contact information or maybe you have a ring knocking around?

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

I have just tried to look up the site I recommended in my last post and its appears closed !!!😧. I have messaged the seller to see if they will be continuing to supply parts .

I used his products on a few occasions as it was far quicker and easier to buy a piston ring from him than it is to make them . If he has packed up it looks like ill have to fire up the lathe more often !! 

Thank for putting GC piston ring web address up. For one dreadful minute I thought that we had lost a trusted member of our ever decreasing spares suppliers. 

I have made many piston rings over the years but to be honest G C rings are so good and at his prices its not worth the hassle of making them .

Glad you got sorted Derek.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Thank you for posting this up. I am a returning modeller after many years - I have two Webra Speed 61 engines to re-commission. Hopefully, the lay up was good, but piston rings are on the list as well as main journal races (hopefully these are industry standard bearings).

Malcolm

Engineering wise the above Irvine advice sounds like a bad idea. Simply bearings have a wide range.

All you need is a good vernier caliper [£25ish]to size what you need. 

3 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I don't know much about the Webras but a couple of makers have used non-standard bearings in the past (at least one was a mixed Imperial/metric specification).  Advice from Irvine was to source a bearing with the correct outside diameter and thickness and a larger bore - then make a sleeve to adapt it.

Why do that when a proper bearing is available . Many use imperial front and metric rear. bearing . Just measure and order from or speak to Simply Bearings , Only a few engines use "Special manufacturer only sizes" Ive only come across this once on a OS 120 Gemini twin . If Simply Bearings cant get your bearing size then you have an issue .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I’m not sure what’s given the impression that I’ve recommended adapting anything other than an unobtainable bearing.  I thought I’d clarified that in my reply to JD8!

Sorry Martin missed that .

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 10:02, Engine Doctor said:

A good source for bearings is "Simply Bearings" . Excellent service , prices and postage included . 

Yes, thank you, Engine Doctor. I was planning to get the measurements off the existing and approach SImply Bearings - I’ve had good service from them in the past for automotive bearings👍