Dracan free plan canard

ken anderson.

I'd go for it Ken, I think you will enjoy flying it.

A few years ago I designed a canard along similar lines with a flat plate all sheet wing, although slightly larger with a 34" span. Like the designer of this months free plan I also used an online C off G calculator, and it was more by luck than judgement that I got it down in one piece.

Now I've got the C of G sorted out it's become one of my favourite models, fast and aerobatic yet easy to fly. It does look different in the air but I don't find orientation a problem, it's certainly easier than a flying wing. 

P1030700.thumb.JPG.98213b2d398fc41ca8860f7edacac024.JPG

• Like 2

Hi John,

When I researched the Can Doo there were a couple of reports that it became hard to handle at higher speeds (one of the reasons for making mine) so I have just enjoyed it for what it is rather than explore the upper limit with a tent peg out come!

What do you think makes yours more stable at high speed compared with say the Can Doo or other canard types like this?

• Like 1

Not sure Chris, but it may be something to do with the fins on the end of the swept back wing being slightly further behind the centre of pressure. A sharp turn at the end of a high speed pass can produce a slight tail wag but this is damped out almost instantly. 

Edited by John T
Corrected grammer
  • Like 1

Hi chaps, its Terry the designer of said model here, I have no problems with orientation at all ( unlike my autogyro which disorientates me every single flight) anyhow it's just as well as I have souped it up as we used to say and had 155mph out of it last week with a slight tailwind. That was with 4 cells a 2200kv motor on a 7x4 pusher with another prop still to try, Terry 

20231105_130305.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terry A said:

Hi chaps, its Terry the designer of said model here, I have no problems with orientation at all ( unlike my autogyro which disorientates me every single flight) anyhow it's just as well as I have souped it up as we used to say and had 155mph out of it last week with a slight tailwind. That was with 4 cells a 2200kv motor on a 7x4 pusher with another prop still to try, Terry 

20231105_130305.jpg

Another great design Terry which, when my mate lets me have the plan, I will be 'converting' to Depron as per the Hanky Planky!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Does it have a reasonable glide?  thinking slope...

Thanks for the comment Phil.

For a relatively small all sheet model it's got a surprisingly floaty glide and would probably be ok on a decent slope.  It's no Monterey though...

• Like 1

here's a couple of photos from ne...1...Dracan construction dept....utilising Mrs A's pegs. Pretty much the same as the plan and mag...with the exception of the wing mounting, I'm changing it to one captive nut and bolt and a peg/locator at the back....and its one piece instead of a centre joint.IMG_20231130_143250.thumb.jpg.481e2875fe458794bd6ad5418c4bd451.jpg

ken anderson....ne..1..Dracan dept.

IMG_20231130_163830.jpg

IMG_20231203_134027.jpg

• Like 1

This is a canard that i built many years ago, occasionally still fly. In reality it was a result of failure, originally it was a 100" glider built for the BARCS League. In that form it would not tow, never mind reach a height that was competitive on leaving the line.

Years later when Inrunners were few and far between, I decided to cut the model down, to suit a pretty low powered motor that I had purchased (at some expense). It became a Bitza, a reduced length body, a cut down Sagitta tailplane for the foreplane and a new Depron thin main plain (probably 6%). It initially took some development.

I became aware that I believe Richard Harris also designed and built a nicer looking model than my own. Probably more scientifically designed. I understand that it was turned down by RCM&E because they had a similar model?

All I can really say is that my model, does not stall in a conventual manner. Also as it comes near to what passes for a stall, it wing rocks. My model needed big winglets, to get it to turn reliably using aileron. Now it is fine. There was a time when it Dutch rolled in a turn (a minor amount), again it is now fine.

I hope the last paragraph helps when you all come to fly. I am interested as to others experiences

Schlange.JPG

V2.JPG

• Like 1

Dracan update.....fitted the servo's for the aileron's in the fuz,bit easier than wing fitting.put some more tissue covering on...i made the wing from one piece of balsa as well,no joint in the middle.......the balsa is starting to look like a Dracan....

IMG_20231213_161758.thumb.jpg.e001066477098599bf7cbfe1382981af.jpg

ken anderson...ne...1...Dracan dept.

IMG_20231213_161744.jpg

Edited by ken anderson.
added some more words of wisdom.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...