Servo Connectors

John Rickett 102

Does anyone know of a source for coloured servo connectors?

Years ago, I bought some but cannot remember now who the supplier was and my little stock is just about exhausted. Ideally, the connectors would have the Futaba style orientation tab but that’s of secondary importance, the first is finding colours other that the usual black and red.

Never seeming to learn and quite frequently getting connectors crossed, different colours go a long way in preventing mistakes. Being a Futaba user, there is the option to use SBus, which I intend to do on the current project, however I’d still like to find coloured connectors if someone knows where they may be lurking.

Thanks.   

1992222338_FutabaConnectors.jpg.7a5d2128e31e5e78e5bce28f336c3b74.jpg

I have a cheapo pack of electrical insulation tape in different colours. I just wrap a little tab around the wires near each plug to differentiate when I need to. 😳 I can't be done fiddling with those little tags on the connection pins to get the plugs off 😁

Edited by Futura57

4 hours ago, John Rickett 102 said:

Does anyone know of a source for coloured servo connectors?

Years ago, I bought some but cannot remember now who the supplier was and my little stock is just about exhausted. Ideally, the connectors would have the Futaba style orientation tab but that’s of secondary importance, the first is finding colours other that the usual black and red.

Never seeming to learn and quite frequently getting connectors crossed, different colours go a long way in preventing mistakes. Being a Futaba user, there is the option to use SBus, which I intend to do on the current project, however I’d still like to find coloured connectors if someone knows where they may be lurking.

Thanks.   

1992222338_FutabaConnectors.jpg.7a5d2128e31e5e78e5bce28f336c3b74.jpg

John, It was Ashtec who supplied these, long gone now, unfortunately.

9 hours ago, FlyinFlynn said:

IMO slightly better than tape cuz it won't un-wrap itself.

Not if you lay the servo cable across the middle of a length of tape on the sticky side, then bring both sticky ends of the tape together around the wire. Like I little flag. Then trim to a sensible size. Quick and simple-sk.

Edited by Futura57

Some heat shrink that fit over the plug serves as id from whatever colour you use and for ease of unpluging without putting all the strian on the wires. Use heat shrink with internal adhesive so as to adhere to the top of the plug. Similarly ordinary non adhesive heat shrink is ideal for locking extention leads together .

• Like 1

On 23/11/2023 at 14:07, John Rickett 102 said:

Thanks for the further suggestions.

Yes, they probably came from Ashtec, I've still got some of their Ashlock connectors.

It a shame the coloured connectors are no longer available, they were such a simple idea, I'll have to resort to one of the other methods.

Thanks for the help. 

Where I have twin aileron servos in a wing, I now use the Ashlock connectors, now called Maxlock and available from 4 Max with a twin plug.  Impossible to get the connection wrong as the plugs only fit one way and have an inbuilt locking mechanism making colour coding redundant.  Very quick way to connect up twin ailerons.  They also do a 4 way connector so you can have twin ailerons and twin flap connectors connected and locked with one action.  I think they are great but you do need to be able to crimp reliably as the plugs are longer than standard. 

• Like 1